High(er) end compact mobile phone (iOS or Android)?

wpcoe

My last two phones have been a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and (currently) an iPhone SE.  I would like to update to current hardware standards of a top-end phone, but keep the smaller size.  "Op ed" pieces on the internet indicate that folks have given up on Apple issuing an iPhone SE2.  Sony seems to have abandoned compact versions of their flagship phone, too.  The Pixel 3, which I guess technically meets some definition of "compact" is an inch taller than my iPhone SE, and it's just too big.  Any pointers on a current-generation Android or Apple device that is compact but doesn't compromise on performance/features?

Looked at a Nokia 9 friend bought in HK. Being an Apple Fan its  the first phone that feels right to me. I get some top end phone shoved in my face regularly having an Apple, but sorry chaps they dont feel right, but they are amusing when the proud owner cant find the features. The 9 fell to hand easy for a non enthusiast like me, perhaps you may find it the same.

Like you, I'm partial to a smaller format phone.

I'm currently looking at the 4th generation Motorola X (Moto X4). It has a 5.2" screen, with either 32 or 64GB of memory (3 or 4GB RAM). Participates in the Android One program, so it has OS updates, currently to Android 9.0, and its less than half the price of an iPhone X.

The only downside I see is that it supports only one SIM card, but that's not a deal breaker for me.

I have the ZTE Axon 7 Mini and hope it lasts because I like the small form factor.

Others I have found that are under 5.5"

Nokia 6.1

Asus Zenfone 4 (2017 model)

Huawei Y3 and Y5 line

Xiaomi Mi 6 (2017 model)

Rumored for 2019: Sony XZ4 compact

There is also the Smasung J5/J7 line but that might be too low end for you. There is also an Oppo A71 but again might be too low end.

It would be nice if there were more smartphone under 5.5" to pick from but it seems that 6" is now the new "compact" form size. Funny how mobile phone went from big to small and then rebounded back to big again. I loved my Motorola Razr flip phone due to the small compact size. Makes me wonder if we will soon be holding up 9" to 10" dinner plates up to our ears. Large phones and tablets almost seem inevitable to merge at some point.

• Thanks 1

Slightly oversized at 5.85 is the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite. Screen appears even larger due to lack of bezel.  Android One and phenomenal battery.  Just updated itself to Pie.  I've had many other brands, makes and styles, top or medium range, but this is a serious competitor for my best ever phone.  A lot smaller and lighter than my previous Galaxy J7.

Edited by uksmdh
Edit syntax

23 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Looked at a Nokia 9 friend bought in HK. Being an Apple Fan its  the first phone that feels right to me. I get some top end phone shoved in my face regularly having an Apple, but sorry chaps they dont feel right, but they are amusing when the proud owner cant find the features. The 9 fell to hand easy for a non enthusiast like me, perhaps you may find it the same.

nokia 9 is not on the market yet...

17 minutes ago, Silurian said:

Rumored for 2019: Sony XZ4 compact

Well, that bodes well!  I knew there was an XZ2 Compact but when they released the XZ3 there was no Compact derivative.  Never thought to Google for XZ4 Compact, but there is quite a bit of speculation that there will be one in 2019.

Thanks to all who made excellent recommendations.  I will check them out, but suspect I might wait for the Sony (unless my iPhone SE gives up the ghost unexpectedly before then.)

I was hoping for some phone smaller than all the current ones.  The iPhone SE is 128.3 mm, whereas all the current ones seem to be 145-150mm.  Oh, well.

Might be worthwhile looking at the Asus Zenfone ZS551KL, has all the top shelf chipset and software, about half the price of 12 months ago, now about 11k bht, was looking at one myself prior to buying the Sony Zperia Premium,which was a bit cheaper at the time. 

• Like 1

The Meizu 15 is down to 7,441 baht at Aliexpress.  I used this phone for 8 months and liked it a lot.  It's short, thin, and light, with very thin side bezels which make the 5.45" screen seem bigger than it is.  A new Sony rumor says that Sony may not release the XZ4 compact, 

The Meizu 15 has the biggest body of the 3, but also the biggest battery and by far the biggest and widest screen.
  • Like 1