If the Falklands was invaded today, Could the UK without help take it back again

phetpeter

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, madusa said:

Looking at the ant on my table I wonder does it knows how big the world is。Do we know how big the universe is. Watching an open cremation in the countryside, you see the corpse burst open after the intense heat and all the guts spilled out . You contemplate on your ego, everything you fought for, your worry, your selfishness all  will finally end up like this.

British should negotiate to return the island and share what they could with the Argentine. The Anglo-saxon have been genocidal for too long. The Pitcarn Island is an example, all the natives who accompanied Fletcher Christian after the mutiny on The Bounty were slaugther on Pitcarn Island.

Dude where you going with this .. We've had sick Lions , laughing Hyena's and now exploding corpses drawn into a discussion about whether Great Britain could send an' army half way around the world in defence of a people's freedom to live in peace and quiet .. As for the Anglo Saxons reference you omit to include some of the other indigenous folk of G B such as the Celts as if you aren't aware of the fact Great Britain is made up of 4 separate countries all of whom contributed to the Falklands War and who all lost sons in the conflict .. And despite you're efforts to portray G B in a poor light we have a track record of standing up for peoples freedom in the face of aggressive tyrants .. The 2nd World War being just one of them when Herr Hitler took one step too far by Jackbooting into Poland 02/09/1939 in a conflict that cost our country hugely in people lost both civilian and military and a financial cost that took decades to pay off .. And as for some of the countries that were formerly part of the Empire India and Pakistan are both partial to a bit of land seizure thereselves are they not with the ongoing stand off over Kashmir ( and I'm not referring to the Led Zeppelin track ) over which they have fought 3 wars against each other to try and gain the lion's share .. So maybe you should start closer to home and sort that one out before casting aspersions on the country that gave them their freedom from the Empire not long after the end of a conflict that dismounted one of the most evil individuals to walk this earth but cost us very dearly in doing so .. And if you are going to " contribute " any more to this subject try and be a bit more even handed and circumspect about it please .. 

2 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

The Argentinians are our friends. The Argentinians have always been our friends.  The war strained relationships somewhat, even for years after, but they are still our friends. No amount of stirring by foreign troublemakers will change that.

It's been a love/hate relationship.

We loved their "Fray Bentos" corned beef, but hated the cheating bastard who ruined our World Cup chances in June 1986 with his "hand of God".

5 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

It's been a love/hate relationship.

We loved their "Fray Bentos" corned beef, but hated the cheating bastard who ruined our World Cup chances in June 1986 with his "hand of God".

He'll be beatified for that.

He scored his first international goal at Hampden, I believe.

During my tour of duty in Panama I worked the NARC (minor message relay) and the R/Y communications center that supported the U.S. Southern Command in Quarry Heights Panama.  We were quite busy during the Falklands War in our support of the British government.  I saw the Atlantic Conveyor transit the Panama Canal on its way for retrofitting as a helicopter carrier.  Those Spanish speaking U.S. military who supported Argentina would say Malvinas.  We worked long hours to support our British brethren.  They returned the favor now and then when we needed their help.  Whitehall approved passing our sanitized back channel message to the British Army Y signals unit in Belize for delivery to the American ambassador.

IMO the British military could do it again and more easily this time.

19 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Dude where you going with this .. We've had sick Lions , laughing Hyena's and now exploding corpses drawn into a discussion about whether Great Britain could send an' army half way around the world in defence of a people's freedom to live in peace and quiet .. As for the Anglo Saxons reference you omit to include some of the other indigenous folk of G B such as the Celts as if you aren't aware of the fact Great Britain is made up of 4 separate countries all of whom contributed to the Falklands War and who all lost sons in the conflict .. And despite you're efforts to portray G B in a poor light we have a track record of standing up for peoples freedom in the face of aggressive tyrants .. The 2nd World War being just one of them when Herr Hitler took one step too far by Jackbooting into Poland 02/09/1939 in a conflict that cost our country hugely in people lost both civilian and military and a financial cost that took decades to pay off .. And as for some of the countries that were formerly part of the Empire India and Pakistan are both partial to a bit of land seizure thereselves are they not with the ongoing stand off over Kashmir ( and I'm not referring to the Led Zeppelin track ) over which they have fought 3 wars against each other to try and gain the lion's share .. So maybe you should start closer to home and sort that one out before casting aspersions on the country that gave them their freedom from the Empire not long after the end of a conflict that dismounted one of the most evil individuals to walk this earth but cost us very dearly in doing so .. And if you are going to " contribute " any more to this subject try and be a bit more even handed and circumspect about it please .. 

Good argument. Evil done good things done all for the empire I supposed.

On 1/3/2019 at 4:59 AM, joecoolfrog said:

Didn't need to be did we !

...no, just that someone implied that we were. A habit of some Brits to go on as if we are as militarily powerful as we were in days of yore, rather than the "second-tier military power" that we really are. (Quoting a US General).

17 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

...no, just that someone implied that we were. A habit of some Brits to go on as if we are as militarily powerful as we were in days of yore, rather than the "second-tier military power" that we really are. (Quoting a US General).

Only one other nation is capable of achieving what the British task force achieved in 1982.

By strange coincidence, this article just appeared in my MSN news feed. Has some nice pics of some of the UK's warships (including the HMS Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier).

The article itself is an "opinion piece" - it is not a "plan" or something that is under public discussion. It's just one person's thoughts on the issue.

I included it party for the pictures and partly for the idea that if the UK were to decide to "make it's presence known" by establishing a base in the Far East, it would also send a message to places like Argentina that the UK wouldn't be putting up with any shenanigans from them either. (Aircraft carriers are good for sending those kinds of messages.)

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/a-british-military-base-on-the-south-china-sea-is-not-a-far-fetched-idea/ar-BBRNbkJ?li=AAggv0mhttps://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/a-british-military-base-on-the-south-china-sea-is-not-a-far-fetched-idea/ar-BBRNbkJ?li=AAggv0m

2130787130_HMSQEaircraftcarrier.jpg.a723c0445255d44b5c0f05626971582f.jpg

3 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Only one other nation is capable of achieving what the British task force achieved in 1982.

...that was 37 years ago this year. Then we had 50 warships, now we have 20.

It was a remarkable feat, which the US Navy said was not possible at the time.

Then again, my brother in law was in the British Army (20 year veteran) in the 1991 Gulf War. He said at that time that all we seemed to do was "beg, steal. & borrow" off the Americans. (for which we were grateful).

As Max Hastings pointed out, the Falklands was probably the last time that Britain would fight a major conflict on our own

I was on holiday in Greece with a girlfriend, when the hotel owner, a very pleasant Greek ( who'd have thunk it!)

told us the: "war was over".

My mind drifts back now to that time- Retsina, Olives & way too much sun.

I also remember The Sun having a sepia coloured text at the top of the cover. It said something like: 'war edition special'. Seemed to much as if they wanted to 'keep the home fires burning'. It annoyed me, attempting to link ww2 with the Falklands.

Anyone remember Tony Benn, & his anti war chant?

5 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

The Scum were also responsible for this trash...

9A26C280-FF6E-491B-9365-F6023D44E441.jpeg

I know the print is hard to read; but can you make it look sharper so that one can read on this other front page; where they are writing about Falklands or Junta again pls?

4 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Back on topic:

Image result for the sun gotcha!

Not on topic; that was then, this is now.

I reckon if someone invaded The Falklands, Argentina would help us get them back, because the last thing they want is some other Foreign Country taking them

On 1/2/2019 at 12:30 AM, transam said:

Yet one of the top financial countries in the world via a small population...Why is that...?

It is "that" because the "Empire" got away with stealing from the world. Look at the opium wars in China and also what was done to India by the "Empire". Of course, you can't forget the Rothschild banking cartel. Would the UK "win" another round? Yes, because of the edge in technology.

7 hours ago, RickTik said:

It is "that" because the "Empire" got away with stealing from the world. Look at the opium wars in China and also what was done to India by the "Empire". Of course, you can't forget the Rothschild banking cartel. Would the UK "win" another round? Yes, because of the edge in technology.

Are they British.......?

23 hours ago, Moon37 said:

Which.2 were removed a
and where should it be posted

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

One anti-semitic slur, and one post querying it.  At the moment, there is no forum for racist slurs, though perhaps if you asked, the mods might set one up.

I think the Argentinians would be aghast at someone invading the Falklands, and would support restoration of the status quo immediately, but I doubt they would lend us military support.

Archived