Double Glazing

esprit

15 minutes ago, transam said:

You reckon..?   ????........................????

With today's tinting tech, not sure double is necessary.  Agree with the fresh renewing post, avoid the sun is best to begin with.  Should be first consideration when practical.

Just now, KhunLA said:

With today's tinting tech, not sure double is necessary.  Agree with the fresh renewing post, avoid the sun is best to begin with.  Should be first consideration when practical.

Most folk will think about sun direction etc when building in a hot country, if they have any sense.

A bloke near me has just built a bungalow in the new modern look. The lounge at the front has a window the full width of the room and floor to ceiling that must be about 4 metres in height, I said at the time to her in doors, they will cook in that place.

Sure enough, the huge area of curtain is shut most of the day....????

5 hours ago, transam said:

Most folk will think about sun direction etc when building in a hot country, if they have any sense.

A bloke near me has just built a bungalow in the new modern look. The lounge at the front has a window the full width of the room and floor to ceiling that must be about 4 metres in height, I said at the time to her in doors, they will cook in that place.

Sure enough, the huge area of curtain is shut most of the day....????

Coming from temperate zone, dumb as a rock, and my 1st house was a box in middle of field, no overhanging roof, and hot as all hell.  Cinder block and inside was hotter than outside a few months of the year.  1st hot season anyway, till I added some extension on E &  W sides along with insulating the ceiling.

Then everything was lovely.

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

With today's tinting tech, not sure double is necessary.

Where could I find information about that?

I too am considering double glazing as our new house will have full height floor to ceiling sliding doors and windows facing east.

OK after about 10:00 am as they will be shaded by eaves, but subject to full direct sunlight all morning.

17 minutes ago, Encid said:

Where could I find information about that?

I too am considering double glazing as our new house will have full height floor to ceiling sliding doors and windows facing east.

OK after about 10:00 am as they will be shaded by eaves, but subject to full direct sunlight all morning.

Our new build, will have direct sunlight in the early hours, and has quite a bit of glass along E wall, as only side with any view.  I'll let you know how it goes, as they put the sliding doors & windows in this week, I think.

Haven't been there, and ACs not installed yet.  I'll be on solar, so it really isn't much of a concern.  Tinting and long overhang should help control it.  Expect 0630 - 0900 ish to be 'bright' ????

Checking wife's FB, and yep, installed, and these are facing due E, with long overhang for veranda.

280631908_5155396287830209_2640848156623884927_n.jpg

Looking out of here, directly E, opening/doors on right face directly N.

About 3.5 meters of roof, so exposure shouldn't be too long.

280624246_5155396891163482_3781317203926759225_n.jpg

Edited by KhunLA

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Checking wife's FB, and yep, installed, and these are facing due E

According to Thai culture (and I'm not sure of the actual reasons why) the front of the house facing East is the optimal position.

The master bedroom in our current house faces East and has large glass sliding doors and windows with an eave that is only about 1m wide, and we installed floor to ceiling curtains with a heavy reflective backing to block the light and the heat.

The glass certainly gets hot, and if you fail to adequately shut the curtains the bright sunlight will wake you up early!

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I'll let you know how it goes,

Please do... I'd be very interested in the outcome. :cool:

6 minutes ago, Encid said:

According to Thai culture (and I'm not sure of the actual reasons why) the front of the house facing East is the optimal position.

Please do... I'd be very interested in the outcome. :cool:

We don't do Thai culture.  We do 'World Practical'.   Won't even have a spirit house or blessing of house.

Though I have to admit, it does worked.  1st house, did the blessing, had spirit house, and put the string all the way around the exterior wall, 1 rai, to keep the bad spirits out.

And it work, few weeks later, I kicked the wife, and she never returned ... ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Looking out of here, directly E, opening/doors on right face directly N.

About 3.5 meters of roof, so exposure shouldn't be too long.

Your North facing windows/doors won't see direct sunlight at all.

With a 3.5m overhang on your verandah you'd be lucky to get more than an hour per day of direct sunlight.

Back on-topic, where can I find more information on glass tinting technology in Thailand?

14 hours ago, Encid said:

Your North facing windows/doors won't see direct sunlight at all.

With a 3.5m overhang on your verandah you'd be lucky to get more than an hour per day of direct sunlight.

Back on-topic, where can I find more information on glass tinting technology in Thailand?

Correct, photo just prior to 0800 hrs, and got 30cm of shade, outside the E facing sliding doors to the long roofed veranda.   Due to earth axis, still a bit coming in N sliding doors.  Along with some coming in windows not shaded by roof.  Minimal and curtains will handle that, and needed anyway, as large window is from bedroom.

So very happy with that, and better than I anticipated.  Long days now, sun rising at 0600 hrs, with treeline, so will hit house about 0630.  Other times in year. sun rise as late as 0700 hrs.  Should only need about 1 or 2 hour of solar/ESS back up use for ACs if temps rise too much.  Have 10Kw ESS, so 8 ish available overnight, before solar start producing from E roof panels.  More than enough.  Bedroom AC & appliances should use less than 5 overnight.

280113923_477000510887989_3260818824958722005_n.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1