Jump to content

Ton up! January 1st road deaths hit 106


webfact

Recommended Posts

Ton up! January 1st road deaths hit 106

 

6pm_VI_DN.jpg

Picture: Daily News

 

Thailand started the New Year with a grim statistic confirming its position at the head of the world's road carnage statistics. 

 

Daily News reported that 106 people died in one day on January 1st. 

 

And there could be many more when all figures come in. 

 

The news media said that these were only figures for people who died at the scene of accidents - there would clearly be others when deaths at hospitals were added. 

 

Daily News gave some examples of the death toll such as two brothers who were hit by an unidentified vehicle while on a motorcycle in Ayuthaya. The other vehicle fled the scene. 

 

They also produced video compilations to warn drivers of the hazards on the Thai roads - part of their ongoing campaign to raise awareness and lower the death toll. 

 

Source: Daily News

 
thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-03
 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

With 1 million new motor bikes plus all the new cars bought every year the death doll will only increase and a lot of unlicensed riders and drivers with alchahol and speeding the main causes .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on now, credit where credit is due. This must be some kind of record. Before I was embarrassed to tell people that I live in Thailand.

 

No longer my friends, no longer. Lets raise a glass to the government, the police and all who made this possible. Take a bow guys.

congrats.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SkyNets said:

Until this affects somebody with a chest full of medals, nothing will ever change here.

Anyone who could make such a change rides in a VIP convoy and never has to sit in traffic or deal with the dangers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

just wait till the tourist authority put their spin on it, there will be hoards trying to beat down the doors trying to get into Thailand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having watched and reported on the Driving and Motorcycle tests here ion Thailand, I am not only not surprised but amazed that it has not changed in 15 years. The stas are terrible, the deaths in at least 50% of the cases avoidable and still we azre opffered mere words and zero action. When will the Thai Government of the day realise that THAIS do not care for Road traffic Law, they see the enforcers as a joke out just to make a buck.

Seize and crush cars/motorcycles  of drunken drivers, and riders. All unlicensed drivers riders, have a10000 baht fine and banned for 5 years, Insurance companies told to triple insurance of previously convicted driners riders, and it is the driver which is the insured NOT the car. When their pockets get hurt Thai may wll start to abide. should take about 5 years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

Having watched and reported on the Driving and Motorcycle tests here ion Thailand, I am not only not surprised but amazed that it has not changed in 15 years. The stas are terrible, the deaths in at least 50% of the cases avoidable and still we azre opffered mere words and zero action. When will the Thai Government of the day realise that THAIS do not care for Road traffic Law, they see the enforcers as a joke out just to make a buck.

Seize and crush cars/motorcycles  of drunken drivers, and riders. All unlicensed drivers riders, have a10000 baht fine and banned for 5 years, Insurance companies told to triple insurance of previously convicted driners riders, and it is the driver which is the insured NOT the car. When their pockets get hurt Thai may wll start to abide. should take about 5 years. 

I drove on January 1st along the 210 to Nongbualamphu and there is a fairly recent new set of traffic lights at a crossroads. Driving in the nearside lane there were several cars in front of me (some had zoomed past and cut in) at what was clearly red lights. I ended up being the front car at the red lights, all the others in front had just sped through. Just a blatant disregard not only for the law but other road users. Until that mindset is changed, by as you say enforcement and higher penalties, law abiding drivers risk their lives amid these idiots, [sigh].

Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

All unlicensed drivers riders, have a10000 baht fine and banned for 5 years, Insurance companies told to triple insurance of previously convicted driners riders, and it is the driver which is the insured NOT the car. When their pockets get hurt Thai may wll start to abide. should take about 5 years. 

They don't care at all;

they will drive without a license ;

and about insurance 99% have only the PoLoBo which is less than 1,000 baht 

 

Crush the vehicles ?

 

Impossible they belong to the banks , even the motocycles ..

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

I drove on January 1st along the 210 to Nongbualamphu and there is a fairly recent new set of traffic lights at a crossroads. Driving in the nearside lane there were several cars in front of me (some had zoomed past and cut in) at what was clearly red lights. I ended up being the front car at the red lights, all the others in front had just sped through. Just a blatant disregard not only for the law but other road users. Until that mindset is changed, by as you say enforcement and higher penalties, law abiding drivers risk their lives amid these idiots, [sigh].

In Pattaya, a large number of the Intersections have a sign saying " Left lane through can go Red '

Half of the problem in Thailand, is that every region has different Road lay-outs, Lights ( most not working ) , and interpretation of the Laws. Until there is some kind of standardisation, and competent Law enforcement, this situation will never change.

The change has to come from the top, and that is where the problems lie.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

With 1 million new motor bikes plus all the new cars bought every year the death doll will only increase and a lot of unlicensed riders and drivers with alchahol and speeding the main causes .

Apparently its bad brakes that are fitted to the latest models by the manufacturers , there's nothing wrong with Thai road competence !

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

cmon, its not all the drunk drivers/riders etc causing these road deaths  its the brake failures causing them all, havent you read the latest face saving editorial post

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

Having watched and reported on the Driving and Motorcycle tests here ion Thailand, I am not only not surprised but amazed that it has not changed in 15 years. The stas are terrible, the deaths in at least 50% of the cases avoidable and still we azre opffered mere words and zero action. When will the Thai Government of the day realise that THAIS do not care for Road traffic Law, they see the enforcers as a joke out just to make a buck.

Seize and crush cars/motorcycles  of drunken drivers, and riders. All unlicensed drivers riders, have a10000 baht fine and banned for 5 years, Insurance companies told to triple insurance of previously convicted driners riders, and it is the driver which is the insured NOT the car. When their pockets get hurt Thai may wll start to abide. should take about 5 years. 

You need to take off the blinders and see where you are mister. This is thailand not some country that has rules of the road. Its just a place where you can feel the open road. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...