Free Drive-a-drunk Service Opened In Bangkok

george

Volunteer drivers get drunks home safely

BANGKOK: -- The Por Teck Tung Foundation is now helping drunk drivers arrive home safely _ rescue volunteers are taking the steering wheel.

The new service began last week and is a cooperative bid to reduce casualties from drunk driving, involving the foundation and the Public Health Ministry.

Sanae Butranak, deputy head of the rescue operation unit, said drunk drivers could contact the unit, at 02-2264444-5, for designated drivers who are available around the clock. The service is free.

He said the foundation has over 100 volunteers and a number of rescue vehicles are continually out on the streets.

``So far, there have been no direct calls from drunk drivers,'' he said.

``Rather, it has been police who make the calls when they come across drivers who have been drinking. They ask for someone to drive the drunk's car to a police station.''

Mr Sanae said the foundation registers all volunteers who join the driver programme.

``Those on assignment must record all the details in writing. More importantly, our volunteers are not allowed to take the vehicles without police officers being present.

``This is a strict precaution in case any belongings in the vehicles are missing, and also in case the drunks have illegal stuff in the vehicle.''

The public can learn about the service from the two traffic radio programmes, Jor Sor 100 and Sor Wor Por 91.

``In the future we will have a telephone service, to inform the families of drunken drivers that we are sending their loved ones home. This should ease their anxiety,'' he said.

Drivers do not have to wait until they have had too much to drink before making a call. A relief driver can be arranged beforehand.

``Those wishing to drink without limit may phone us and make a booking, where and at what time they want our volunteers to pick them up. That is no problem,'' he said.

Surapol Supradit na Ayutthaya, a company worker, lauded the programme. ``This is a good alternative for drunk drivers who have to get home. Most believe that they can still drive and many end up in accidents,'' said Mr Surapol.

He said it was important the foundation provided training to its volunteers, and those who join the programme must be carefully screened.

Some disagreed, however.

Narong Norpan, 35, said many drunks preferred driving themselves home, rather than allowing strangers to take the wheel.

He said most people saw the Por Teck Tung volunteers as ``corpse collectors'', and feel any business that relied on volunteers would provide a poor service.

--The Post 2004-05-24

:D Great idea but a drunk will never commit he / she's drunk so they will drive anyway because THEY think they arn't drunk and can drive well.

Things like this simply don't work ask AA

:o

Some more thoughts:

What about security issues - ok, so the drivers are screened (maybe). What if a nutty-psycho-stabber murderer decides it would be fun to play the cat and mouse game with these drivers?

You could easily use it as a free taxi service too, even when you're sober.

Will the interiors of the cars be all covered in plastic?

GOOD Program ?

but enforcement and Education must come on so that you can reduced the accidents.

Police and road transport authority must do somethings (More serious)and not depends on social worker everytimes.

They know they are drunk but they still want on the road back home and this is serious ?

The police and their family is going to pardon them everytimes for the drunken sake.

"Oh,I am sorry and I am drunk please help and get me home "

The police and enforcement should be shamed overthis matter?

I say again the police and road transport authority must do something serious towards this matter and do not hide in the bushes.

TALK MORE THAN ACTION

DO SOMETHING SERIOUS

THEN YOU CAN SOLVE MORE PROBLEMS.

SEE HOW MANY ACCIDENTS YOU CAN REDUCE AFTER THIS ?

TRY YOUR EVERY BEST FROM NOW

The principle is a good one, if people will admit to being drunk.

However I am not sure that I want a ride on the back of a motorcycle if I am the worse for wear!!

I'd be hesitant to hitch a ride with the Por Teck Tung Foundation. These guys earn 500B for each corpse they pick up. I'm sure we've all heard the rumours that they occasionally hurry an accident victim along the road to meet the reaper, just to earn the 500B ...

What's with all this negativity out there?! Programs like that have been in operation in Australia for years and work! Even if there is a takeup rate of only let's say 1% will mean that there is a few (dozen?) drunk drivers less on the road and what's so bad about that????

Good start anyway

You should be happy any drunk is not driving. Here is the usa we have a sober born again pres.

Anybody caught driving DUI can pay a damed attorney $4000.00 minimum

and they really don't help you at all.

Then you have the Mothers Againist Drunk Driving and they have institutionalized themselves so they get some $ and you go to their education course.

Bottom line, if all the $ drunks are paying went to a ride service for a citizens free party ride home I think we could solve the majority of the problem.

There will always be a few fools out there. And in here to.

:D

Thailand has to try to educate the pissheads that drive when they are off the planet. Decades of laxity by the Thai Police has trained 'em to be bad. It will

take a lotta education ( and a bit of time for second and subsequent offenses.

Take a look at the Scandinavian rules. There's a tough line, and huge inroads have been made in the problem.

You should be happy any drunk is not driving. Here is the usa we have a sober born again pres.

Anybody caught driving DUI can pay a damed attorney $4000.00 minimum

and they really don't help you at all.

Then you have the Mothers Againist Drunk Driving and they have institutionalized themselves so they get some $ and you go to their education course.

Bottom line, if all the $ drunks are paying went to a ride service for a citizens free party ride home I think we could solve the majority of the problem.

There will always be a few fools out there. And in here to.

:D

Are you a DAMM member ( Drunks Against Mad Mothers)

What's with all this negativity out there?! Programs like that have been in operation in Australia for years and work! Even if there is a takeup rate of only let's say 1% will mean that there is a few (dozen?) drunk drivers less on the road and what's so bad about that????

Good start anyway

I agree and I have suggested this in two other posts previously.

Of course eduaction is the key, but to help save the lives of the innocents, most particularly, it is worth it.

If someone is caught driving drunk and has not requested the sevice than the full extent of the law should be levied on them before they are driven home and they should be fined, too.

The idea is to assist and aid the innocent victims that are always the brunt of this type of irresponsible behavior.

I also think that if it can be done in such a way as to eliminate any embarassment or shame for the drunk, if he pre-orders, that wil also be an asset. No one likes to lose face, most especially, the locals.

i'm not sure how it worked out, but "tipsy taxi" was given a try in a ski area in the western US many a year ago. about when DUI started to be treated very seriously. i have no idea who financed the operation, but it was the local cabbies that did the work. scaling to a major city seems a problem, and into another culture entirely. the effort alone may deter a few.

be well,

I think it would be a very good idea,If a drunk would ever admit that he was to drunk to drive.

Most seem to think that they are better drivers drunk than when sober,,I was in a detox with a guy one time that said this very thing, "I am a lot better driver when I am drunk than when I am sober,I am a very good driver"

I know myself that I would never think I was to drunk to drive,and I got 18 drunk driving tickets and arrests to prove it.

The only way to stop a man from driving drunk or a drinker from driving is to remove the desire to drink. :o

I think it would be a very good idea,If a drunk would ever admit that he was to drunk to drive.

Most seem to think that they are better drivers drunk than when sober,,I was in a detox with a guy one time that said this very thing, "I am a lot better driver when I am drunk than when I am sober,I am a very good driver"

I know myself that I would never think I was to drunk to drive,and I got 18 drunk driving tickets and arrests to prove it.

The only way to stop a man from driving drunk or a drinker from driving is to remove the desire to drink. :o

Stealing his car keys, knocking him out or letting the air out of his tyres are other ways, not to mention offering him more to drink until he passes out.

--------------

The Swedish rules regarding drunk driving are certainly quite harsh, zero tolerance basically. And the traffic situation is one of the best in the world - but with a corrupt police force it is difficult to implement Scandinavian rules which somehow rely on decent cops, in Thailand. Remains to be seen though.

works well here in guernsey,big business,but you pay for,same as taxi fare and the driver comes with a little fold up motor bike puts it in the boot of your car,drives you home and you got your car home for next day and he can go away with bike,great idea

"but with a corrupt police force it is difficult to implement Scandinavian rules which somehow rely on decent cops, in Thailand"

At least you know where you stand with Thai police. Still I wish they had a zero tolerance policy. Never understood drinking and driving.

From the article, I think they'll drive YOUR car, not that they'll take you home on theirs. If you're drunk but not driving, you can take taxi.

So if you like having a stranger as your personal driver, you may try it for fun. They might carry breathalyser with them, so you should carry a bottle of whisky with you just in case you're hopelessly bored and would like to trouble some poor volunteer.

Do you think having this campaign will make it better or worse? I think it'll help, though not much but better than nothing. Some do drink socially and don't want to drive but they have to (live somewhere remote, don't trust taxi, travel all day, etc). If they could have somebody trustworthy (Por Teck Tung should know volunteer's identity, right?) to drive them home, it'll be better than let them drive and caused accident to any innocent victims, right? I think it could be worse in case of bad volunteers or bad clients. Seems that many people here already have an idea of abusing it.

Shame? I don't think so. I guess that as long as you can make fun of somebody else or say that they're stupid, you'd feel much better to yourself anyway.

What did Freund say?

PS. I agree with no mercy rule and about educating people. But while it's still not realistic here yet, in my opinion, this campaign worth a try. Hope they'll have a good safety regulation then, for both volunteer and the drunk.

I think I saw it all before. Years ago, I was in the army, drafted, they asked for 'people to help them home'. OK, I went there, sitting some where in a tent, no uniform, waiting for people coming in after having enjoyed their annual beer festival. The system was easy, too many drinks, go to the tent, find somebody who can drive your kind of car and who knows where the address is you declared. Off you go with him/her, find the car, jump into the driver's seat, park the car in front of the home and the taxi (he/she paid for it) is waiting to bring you back to the tent.

Only once I failed in my duties, sent the taxi back and stayed with the car-owner at home. For the next 10 days she always looked for me, as I had her car in day-time. :o

I think I was a good driver.