It Consulting Work And Sole Proprietorships

Hi,

I am an American and I have a NI-O visa (Thai wife). I am very close to obtain an IT consulting contract (develop an eLearning web system) with one of the Thai ministries. Now, I need to set up a company and get a work permit so I can work and get paid by the ministry. No, the ministry will not sponsor a work permit. I have done some research and it seems I should get a “Sole Proprietorships” registration, right? Should I get an Amity Treaty certificate too? It this treaty still active between Thailand and America? How much would it be if I have someone to get the paperwork done for me and how long? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I did search the forum and I just want to make sure to get some up-to-date advices. Sorry, if you think I am wasting your time here.

Best regards,

David

Hi,

I am an American and I have a NI-O visa (Thai wife).

BTW, I did search the forum and I just want to make sure to get some up-to-date advices. Sorry, if you think I am wasting your time here.

1. I wouldn't use your real name around here.

2. I have never heard of a wife referred to as a NI-O VISA, but I guess the old boiler is more common in Kaukopakopa than round the big smoke

3. You won't be eligible for TofA priveleges without a ltd liability company; I would just set up a company then hire yourself as the sole consultant; this will entitle you to a work permit for 90 days AFAIK and 90 day visa which you will have to renew. You need 4 staff to get the extension. Simple enough, get in touch with Sunbelt and they should take care of it. You will need to pay yourself a salary of about 80,000b a month min, so your billings should take care of that. Amity merely allows Americans more rights to own a company outright in Thailand contrary to WTO rules and regulations. It won't be around forever, but gives you perhaps more control than a non American might have who would need a majority Thai shareholder.

4. As an aside, I take it you were juiced in for this contract. If you weren't beware of being taken for a ride; ministry work rarely comes without some strings; better to be pulling them than be attached to one.

5. AFAIK you cannot get work permit as a sole propriotor but i am no expert; go to Sunbelt, they will sort you out :o_

Hi,

I am an American and I have a NI-O visa (Thai wife).

1. I wouldn't use your real name around here.

There are simply too many Davids so I didn't think it's that big a deal.

2. I have never heard of a wife referred to as a NI-O VISA, but I guess the old boiler is more common in Kaukopakopa than round the big smoke

I was referring to my visa that I have, it is called a NI-O (non-immigrant others) visa and I got it because of my Thai wife. This visa is good for one year but I can keep extending it forever.

3. You won't be eligible for TofA priveleges without a ltd liability company; I would just set up a company then hire yourself as the sole consultant; this will entitle you to a work permit for 90 days AFAIK and 90 day visa which you will have to renew. You need 4 staff to get the extension. Simple enough, get in touch with Sunbelt and they should take care of it. You will need to pay yourself a salary of about 80,000b a month min, so your billings should take care of that. Amity merely allows Americans more rights to own a company outright in Thailand contrary to WTO rules and regulations. It won't be around forever, but gives you perhaps more control than a non American might have who would need a majority Thai shareholder.

I believe under the Amity Treaty, I am treated equally as a Thai except the exclusion of a limited number of industries such as farming and etc. If a Thai can operate a business as a sole proprietor so can I. Well, I am no expert with the Thai Legal system so it's my 2 cents worth opinions resulted from reading various internet posts. I am sure I will need some professional legal help on this later.

4. As an aside, I take it you were juiced in for this contract. If you weren't beware of being taken for a ride; ministry work rarely comes without some strings; better to be pulling them than be attached to one.

Let's just say I was really lucky :o.

5. AFAIK you cannot get work permit as a sole propriotor but i am no expert; go to Sunbelt, they will sort you out :D_

I am sure Sunbelt is most likely to get my money soon :D.

Edited by tonga

Hi David,

I have done some research and it seems I should get a “Sole Proprietorships” registration, right?
This will work as you are American. You will only qualify for a work permit however unless you had paid 25,000 Baht in Thai tax last year or if you will now employ 2 Thai employees. ( You are married to a Thai and why these are the numbers quoted of 2 employees or 25K in tax)
Should I get an Amity Treaty certificate too?

100% yes

It this treaty still active between Thailand and America?
Yes
How much would it be if I have someone to get the paperwork done for me and how long?

Takes around five weeks. Our professional fee for Amity treaty with a Sole Proprietorship is 19,500 Baht. Government fee is 25,400 Baht. Work permit professional fee is 6,500. Government fee is 3,100 Baht

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com