Third party parts

janclaes47

Today I went to the Nissan dealer with my Navara as I did feel some vibrations in the front axle.

The inspected the car and found that one " arm " of the power steering needed replacement.

At the same time they found that the steering house had a small oil leak at both sides. I don't know how serious that is if not repaired, but they said it could only be fixed by replacing the complete steering house.

Then they also detected that a bearing on the front axle needed replacement.

For replacement of the " arm" they quoted me 3150 Baht, including labor and VAT.

The complete steering house, which would include that arm, would set me back 21.940 Baht, and the bearing of the front axle 5.166 Baht.

They also found an oil leak where a tube connects to the vacuum pump, and quoted 3.860 Baht for that.

At the same time they were so kind to point me to a shop that sells third party and second hand parts.

Went there and was quoted 7000 Baht + 1000 Baht labor, for a new complete steering house, and 2700 including labor for the new axle bearing.

So that would mean a total of 10.700 Baht for new 3rd party parts, as opposed to 27.106 Baht for the original Nissan parts.

I showed them a technical drawing of the tube that has the oil leak, but they didn't have that. I assume I can find that probably elsewhere.

So since the difference between the Nissan and 3rd party parts is a whopping 16.406 for only the steering house and the bearing, the question is if it's worth going for the cheaper option or as usual it will cost money twice at the end.

The shop offered 1 month warranty on the steering house by the way, I don't know if Nissan warranty is any longer.

Nissan does not make any of those parts in house.

They place a bid with spec, and third parties place a bid with Nissan.

Steering house - I suppose that means a seal on the rack and pinion. Arm means a tie rod end.

No problem with using parts that do not come in a Nissan box.

They also do not make bearings. If one bearing bad I would change both front ones just as a matter of course.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Nissan does not make any of those parts in house.

They place a bid with spec, and third parties place a bid with Nissan.

Steering house - I suppose that means a seal on the rack and pinion. Arm means a tie rod end.

No problem with using parts that do not come in a Nissan box.

They also do not make bearings. If one bearing bad I would change both front ones just as a matter of course.

Yes with the complete steering house I mean the below. The arm is what is concealed with the rubber. One side can be moved a little.

The oil leak is at both sides where the rubber meets the body of the steering.

image.png.57d6b690afdf695f590b07056d4fcab6.png

For the vacuum pump oil leak I get quoted for this part 3130 Baht for the part only, which I think is also ridiculous but don't know where to find it.

image.png.2eb2e78eeaee789e5c6d34b451631459.png

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

The oil leak is at both sides where the rubber meets the body of the steering.

How bad is the oil leak, I been shown minor oil smears on suspension and similar parts and told by spanners here that it needs replacing.

It's good thing I know when something needs replacing or not. 

Sorry but I don't understand terminology used here regarding your problem....

So will just say what I think...Hydraulic steering rack has two lubrication "sides"...High pressure fluid that does the work. The rubber gaiters at each end hold "basic" oil to lubricate the inner ball joints, the gaiters hold that oil...They can leak or split..

The rack ball joint ends at the wheel/suspension end are a sealed unit with small gaiters that have grease inside to keep things working...They can fail, usually by water ingress bringing on corrosion......

49 minutes ago, transam said:

Sorry but I don't understand terminology used here regarding your problem....

So will just say what I think...Hydraulic steering rack has two lubrication "sides"...High pressure fluid that does the work. The rubber gaiters at each end hold "basic" oil to lubricate the inner ball joints, the gaiters hold that oil...They can leak or split..

The rack ball joint ends at the wheel/suspension end are a sealed unit with small gaiters that have grease inside to keep things working...They can fail, usually by water ingress bringing on corrosion......

Thanks for the explanation, but it doesn't make me much wiser.

The right side circled in the picture can be moved little bit in and out, so I guess that need replaced for sure.

At the 2 other marks there is a wet spot on the housing, I think left is worse than right side.

They explained that the sealing can not be repaired, or that those parts are not available.

I don't know if such a leak requires that the steering house needs replacing or that I can just leave it like that.

image.png.55404b849c32f478c6700250ba3c499d.png

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Thanks for the explanation, but it doesn't make me much wiser.

The right side circled in the picture can be moved little bit in and out, so I guess that need replaced for sure.

At the 2 other marks there is a wet spot on the housing, I think left is worse than right side.

They explained that the sealing can not be repaired, or that those parts are not available.

I don't know if such a leak requires that the steering house needs replacing or that I can just leave it like that.

image.png.55404b849c32f478c6700250ba3c499d.png

If you have a red/pink fluid leak you have a problem..If it is yellowy coloured it is the inner ball joint lube...A turn on the clamps may fix all if the leak is not red or pink..

your steering 'house' is a steering rack, your 'arm' is a tie rod or track rod end,  was the quote from the 3rd party place for a new steering rack or a reconditioned one or a second hand one.

some parts are main dealer only

57 minutes ago, steve187 said:

your steering 'house' is a steering rack, your 'arm' is a tie rod or track rod end,  was the quote from the 3rd party place for a new steering rack or a reconditioned one or a second hand one.

some parts are main dealer only

The price quoted was for a new steering rack with both tie rods attached.

It was in a closed box with a picture of the rack, but I don't recall the brand

4 hours ago, transam said:

If you have a red/pink fluid leak you have a problem..If it is yellowy coloured it is the inner ball joint lube...A turn on the clamps may fix all if the leak is not red or pink..

It was black, from the dust attached, as far as I recall.

Will see if I can get under the car tomorrow and distinguish a color.

The vibration I mentioned in the OP is mostly when I release the throttle, when I'm on low speed and when going through a curve.

When I accelerate it is barely noticeable. Would that be the bearing?

image.png.984c8871fea9b8185e2936098457772e.png

9 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Go to Tyre Plus and get a price.

Went to Tyreplus ( Cockpit ) in Pattaya just past Bangkok-Pattaya hospital today.

Spoke with the female manager who quoted me a price for the tie rod which was higher than the Nissan quote.

I kindly mentioned to her that her quote was higher, which she denied, after which I showed her the documents with the parts and the prices written on it by Nissan.

What followed is not suitable for this forum, but it included the complete Thai vocabulary of foul language repeatedly thrown at me.

When I reminded her that I would report this to head office, she was so kind to attach some body language to some of the words as well.

Since this happened in the open workspace, no customers present so maybe she's known already for it, I got so upset that I went to report it to Banglamung police.

Needless to say that they were not interested in me filing a report, but if i would use that language against a Thai, I'm sure I would be in a police cell already by now.

Off topic to my OP, just hope that members who read this will recall if they ever consider going to Cockpit in Pattaya

29 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

WRONG SHOP. Tyre Plus isnt Cockpit. Tyre Plus is Michelin biased, but they have a steering section where they do what you need.

Tyreplus and cockpit are one and the same. The Tyreplus pickup was parked outside.

image.png.d144e1f5c622a5c2fc09c2adad2de5bd.png

image.png.d3a20c44a095f7cb2216c786df588a42.pngimage.png.51af20c2be18f41eb6756337315bf6b4.png

I kindly mentioned to her that her quote was higher, which she denied, after which I showed her the documents with the parts and the prices written on it by Nissan.

What followed is not suitable for this forum, but it included the complete Thai vocabulary of foul language repeatedly thrown at me.

I don't believe that was all there was to it.

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I don't believe that was all there was to it.

Neither do i. Popped into BQ Supanbury, for a Wiper, Car at that time only had one big sweep blade, nasty old hag boss berated young chap for not selling 2. Thanked the young man and never been back. i dont think any TP staff would do that, its a Michelin Franchise, never seen any connection exept before op post.

The OP hasn't stated the mileage but I suspect it's got a few 00,000's and the warranty is long expired? In this regard, never, EVER go to a dealership for repairs. Getting a quote on parts and availability maybe but they will charge like raging bulls over and above any inflated parts-only prices if one opts to get the work done there.

Kudos for going to get a quote at one of the 'convenience garages' but why oh why tell her that her price is higher than someone elses price? I for one am not surprised since complete steering assembly replacement isn't their forte... or B Quick's either. The clue is in 'quick'. But then to bring out a piece of paper that proves she's more expensive?! Seriously? When I go shopping for quotes, I get the quotes and select the cheapest one, end of. I don't decide to hustle any of the shops to get a better deal saying the other guy's cheaper. Trying that with what was already the 'highest bidder' well, one has got to ponder the reasoning... or lack thereof. But then taking the 'complaint' to the cops? Really?

Anyway, back on topic. Finding an honest local garage isn't too hard in Pattaya. Post a thread here and recommendations will be forthcoming. There's been several threads over the years but I guess the trick is making a note of the name and location. For me, the challenge is remembering where I wrote down the name and location!

My recommendation still is on Sukhumvit, west side, just north of Tai. The name and phone number is on a piece of paper in my desk whereas right now, I am somewhere up the Orinoco. So picture attached. The guy's honest, knowledgeable and understands English but his wife speaks it really good too.

ws1.jpg.b671531bdfc0d0e76367ba28e8622e9f.jpg

The green shop is the front office and workshop runs along behind the row of 4 shop houses selling car parts, batteries etc.. The back entrance to the shop is just north of it, see below.

ws.jpg.7abf57bd44ebcfc60e2eac76801f3b14.jpg

Good luck!

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Kudos for going to get a quote at one of the 'convenience garages' but why oh why tell her that her price is higher than someone elses price? I for one am not surprised since complete steering assembly replacement isn't their forte... or B Quick's either. The clue is in 'quick'. But then to bring out a piece of paper that proves she's more expensive?! Seriously? When I go shopping for quotes, I get the quotes and select the cheapest one, end of. I don't decide to hustle any of the shops to get a better deal saying the other guy's cheaper. Trying that with what was already the 'highest bidder' well, one has got to ponder the reasoning... or lack thereof. But then taking the 'complaint' to the cops? Really?

I went there because it was a recommended address on here. I didn't ask price for the complete assembly, only for the tie rod and she didn't even have to look up the price, so that means she was familiar with it.

I showed her the technical drawing I had received from Nissan as it would be easier to explain which part I needed, and which had some prices written on it, but had folded the document in a way that she could't see the total price including labor and VAT.

The fact that she was more expensive than the " raging bulls" at Nissan says something. So it was not about the highest bidder, as according to your own statement, the Nissan dealer will always be way overpriced.

She could also have reacted in a normal way, but the way she raged I have never encountered in my life, and I'm sure that if I had acted the same in any public place in Thailand I would now be signed up for a court appearance.

I will check on Monday at that place in South Pattaya.

Archived