220 V How Many Meters ?

krumme11

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to pull 220 V 600 Meters ? and how big do my cable need to be ?

Yes.

But to answer the rest of the question we're going to need a little more information.

What is the load on the end of your 600 metres of cable? Do you intend burying the cable or running on poles?

Edited by Crossy

Spot on Crossy...more info needed.

What is the required load current?

What type of cable do you want to use?

I did a very preliminary calculation based on the usual ambient air temps, a cable operating temperature of 75 degrees Celsius, a multicore copper cable with circular conductors & a prospective load current of 20 Amps, & I got;

35 millimetres squared.

This figure does not allow for the method of cable installation, which can drastically change this figure.

What's your findings Crossy?

I did a very preliminary calculation based on the usual ambient air temps, a cable operating temperature of 75 degrees Celsius, a multicore copper cable with circular conductors & a prospective load current of 20 Amps, & I got;

35 millimetres squared.

This figure does not allow for the method of cable installation, which can drastically change this figure.

Elkangorito, would the equivalent aluminium cable (50 sq.mm, I think) not be both cheaper to purchase and lighter in weight for aerial suspension?

35 millimetres squared.

Elkangorito, would the equivalent aluminium cable (50 sq.mm, I think) not be both cheaper to purchase and lighter in weight for aerial suspension?

whats the cross sectional area(csa) of the incoming cable , "before" the meter?

if its coming from a long way , the voltage is compromised already _surely ?(check it with a volt-meter) ?

aluminium cable has a higher resistance than copper ( as you say ,crossy)

the larger cable you can use the better imo otherwise the voltage will diminish

and things that you use in your house will not function as well

the supply cable is the limiting factor (imho)

Hopefully our OP will return with more detail :o

I'm going to be in a similar situation when we finally build our place, the village is already on the end of quite a long feeder at 220V, stick a (relatively) big farang house in there as well and we could have problems. One reason I asked about using 3 phase (same load reduced current) in another thread.

An AVR (basically a motorised variac with some electronics) would also be an option if your supply is low or variable.

35 millimetres squared.

whats the cross sectional area(csa) of the incoming cable , "before" the meter?

if its coming from a long way , the voltage is compromised already _surely ?(check it with a volt-meter) ?

aluminium cable has a higher resistance than copper ( as you say ,crossy)

the larger cable you can use the better imo otherwise the voltage will diminish

and things that you use in your house will not function as well

the supply cable is the limiting factor (imho)

The supply cables leading to the branch-off for the meter is almost certainly not less than 50 sq.mm aluminium. The cable from there to the meter may be as low as 16 sq.mm but it will only run for around 4 metres. I believe the resistance of 35 sq.mm copper is roughly equivalent to 50 sq.mm aluminium - yes?

I believe the resistance of 35 sq.mm copper is roughly equivalent to 50 sq.mm aluminium - yes?

Yes, they have about the same resistence....the copper 35 sq. mm is a bit better (less resistence) than the aluminum 50 sq. mm.

Edited by chownah