Rabies Alert: On Soi Bukhaew............................

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya People: February 21st 2007

Free Medical Service For Cats And Dogs

On the 20th of February at the Pattaya Public Health Service Center on Soi Buakhao, an adventurous and required campaign to prevent and control rabies was held.

The event was officially opened by Deputy Mayor Weerawat Kakhai and he was welcomed by Khun Wannapron Jamjumrat, Director of the Center.

This campaign is held every year in order to make Pattaya free of rabies by vaccinating the somewhat questionably estimated 3,000 cats and dogs who live in Pattaya as strays. The officers at the Public Heath Department have guaranteed they will vaccinate no less than 80% of the 3000 stray animals.

Rabies or hydrophobia is caused by the A-N-A Virus or Rabies virus. If this virus contaminates and infects a human or animal’s body, the virus directly attacks the brain’s nerve system. If infected Rabies is unfortunately incurable; however in some cases the infectious bug can be controlled with the use of medicine.

The Public Health Officers also provided a free medical service for cats and dogs in 27 communities around Pattaya including pet vaccination, de-worming, parasite evacuation and skin disease treatment. An unofficial source at City Hall said a free shampoo and pedicure service is now being given deliberation.

The Public Health Officers also provided a free medical service for cats and dogs in 27 communities around Pattaya including pet vaccination, de-worming, parasite evacuation and skin disease treatment. An unofficial source at City Hall said a free shampoo and pedicure service is now being given deliberation.

They are considering free shampoo and pedicures, but no mention of neutering?

3,000? Any idea who came up with that estimate, Libya? The last time I was in Pattaya was 1999/2000 & I don't remember the stray situation one way or the other, but from what I've read on TV, those that live there consider that you have quite a problem, right?

In the HH tessadban dog facility there are 1,600 dogs. In our dog center are 140. That makes over half of the amount quoted in this article, and we haven't even chipped away at the tip of the iceberg as concerns street dogs. Our center estimates that in our "catchment" area (HH, Cha-am & almost down to Pranburi) there are approx 100,000 stray or partially owned dogs (our local authorities dispute that figure). I would assume Pattaya has got to have a problem on a similar scale. If that's the case, 3,000 vaccines is laughable. A band aid on a severed vein. And, as said before, what about the neuterings? They're going to catch soi dogs to shampoo them & manicure them, but not neuter them? Hilarious!

i agree with everything you say November Rain, IMO that 3000 strays figure should have at least another 0 at the end. Anyway this is probably just another publicity stunt, for some official to make 'big face' while doing absolutely nothing to solve the stray dog problem in Pattaya.

BB