Renewing 5 year driver's licences at BKK Region 1 Office

Hi All,

I started a related thread recently but this focuses on a specific office issue.

I live in BKK and my 5 year driver's licences (one for car, one for motorbike) expire this month so I'll be going to the DLT soon for new ones.   Seems according to some third party websites (not the government DLT site, where I can't find this info) now that I've moved from Klong Toey to Sathorn, I  have to go to the Region 1 Office (in Bang Khun Thian, way down near deepest Samut Prakan) instead of the convenient old Region 3 Office (near BTS Bang Chak).  Questions:

1.  Does anyone know for sure if Sathorn residents have to go to the Region 1 Office?  If I go to Region 3 will they process me anyway or boot me out?

2.  Is one residence certificate (from the Chaeng Wattana Immigration Office) enough for both licences at Region 1 Office?  I believe last time I got licences (at Region 3 Office) they accepted a single residence certificate for both of them (I think they made a copy so there would be one in their file for car, one for bike).  Will that work at Region 1?

Thanks.

55 views and no response.

Seems no one can supply this particular info.

Generally: there is no obligation to visit the same office where the license was issued.

From own experience (2011 first license at Khon Kaen city, extended at our district town).

That's also consistent with diverse reports in the forum where people avoid crowded offices.

Copy or two originals:

about this there are conflicting reports and I can not contribute from own experience.

If common sense would exist in Thailand then a copy should suffice.

Especially if you consider that for a Thai they would never have an original document in the paper files.

You can try your luck and show up with an original and a signed photocopy.

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Generally: there is no obligation to visit the same office where the license was issued.

From own experience (2011 first license at Khon Kaen city, extended at our district town).

That's also consistent with diverse reports in the forum where people avoid crowded offices.

Thanks for the input.  Just to be clear, what I would want to do is the opposite of what you're describing.  I DO want to go to the office where my licences were issued (Bangkok 3 at BTS Bang Chak) but now that I moved to Sathorn district it seems the correct office is Bangkok 1 (Bang Khun Thian).  But its a lot farther from me and unfamiliar.  So if you're conclusion is that it doesn't matter what office you go to, they'll process you, that's great.  I'd welcome more experiences if anyone wants to contribute.

Someone recently reported that the Chiang Mai office would not renew their license because their work permit address was in Bangkok. They said they were told it was a recent policy change.  I hope not because I will never pass the peripheral vision test in Bangkok and went to Chiang Mai 4 years ago where it isn't done.  Please let me know how it works out for you.

4 minutes ago, ricklev said:

They said they were told it was a recent policy change.

That would indeed be new and if it applies to Thais also it would mean that millions have to travel to their home place for DL renewal.

Would be worth a separate thread.

Here is my recent experience, renewed my 5 year car and motorbike in early November 2018.

My license had expired in April of 2018 - I was renewing because I planned to travel and a license

is necessary if you would like to rent a car and my sisters insurance will even cover me driving

her car so long as I have a valid drivers license.  Anyway, you can also renew a license up to 1

year after it expires without any penalty.

I thought, this will be fine, I'll go get a reentry permit and the letter from immigration for DLT

all in one trip.  Arrived at Chaeng Wattana 9:30ish, got reentry done in about an hour.  Waited

until 17:00 for the immigration letter queue and was told I could only get a letter for 1 thing,

a car license or motorbike license, and to come back in 30 days to pick it up.  At any rate, a

one month wait was not gonna fit my schedule, so I went to the US Embassy to get a letter

which allows u to specify multiple "types" of business in on letter (car license, bike license, ownership

transfer etc).

DLT was pretty much as expected for a renewal, in at about 10am, out by 14:00.  Included the vision

and reaction tests and the compulsory 1 hr safety video.  I used the DLT near Sukhumvit Soi 101 and I live

in the Sukhumvit area.  I had wondered if a Medical Certificate was required, it was not.

I know some of this is off-topic, but wanted you to know about the long wait to get a DLT letter in BKK,

last time I renewed it took about a week to arrive in the mail.  The DLT part of the process went pretty

much as expected.

I just renewed my license 2 days ago in Chachoengsao, even though I live in Pattaya. I used the Land Transport office near Phanom Sarakam.

My first (motorcycle) license was done there so I thought I had to go back there to renew it. Turns out I didn't, but it made for a nice drive anyways.

For some reason, my first license didn't have my proper address on it. I think that may have had to do with the "agent" that helped me with the paperwork.

I did the renewal myself this time.

Had 1 Residence Certificate (was 2 months old when I finally got to the Land Transport office). No problem.

Had my Medical Certificate (also 2 months old, not accepted). Had to go to a clinic in Phanom Sarakam and get a new one. 100 baht and all they did was check my weight and blood pressure and then given me a new certificate.

Photocopy of the face page of my passport and the page with my current Extension stamp (both copies signed).

That was it ! When I came back with the new medical certificate, the lady ticked off the paperwork and handed it to another counter. Then I got called to do the colour test (she pointed at a green circle, a red one then a yellow one and that was it). The perception and reaction tests were a breeze as well.

Then it was downstairs to get my photo and new (5 year) license.

If my medical certificate had been less than a month old, I'd have probably been finished and out of there in under an hour (well under). 

And my shiny new license has my Pattaya address on it. It wasn't even a question or concern for them that my address was in Pattaya but I was doing my renewal in Chachoengsao.

Go where it's convenient to you. The worst that can happen is they say no ! I recall that before you were supposed to have a separate Residence Certificate for each type of license but that could be one of those "different rules for each office you go to" things. Personally I would get 2 certificates just to avoid any hassles.

I would advise going to a place that does not deal with farangs too often,Its always been a nightmare at Regents school Pattaya !

I renewed my car licence at Chonburi city it had expired a few months ago ,I had passport she copied it and visa plus residence letter ,no medical letter needed ,Did a colour and perception test ,Sent to watch video and called out for photo and get new licence all done in an hour!

Apparently i was lucky to get five and a half years on licence ,been told on here i should of got only two years as only had a 60 day tourist visa !!????

OP renewed my 2 year to 5 years in Udon Thani yesterday. Two Year 

license nearest office to my home. Immigration letter issued at same location. 

All paperwork ready went to same location as before and was told I needed to go to Udon Thani which was another 60 km away. They

pointed to one portion of immigration letter which I assume it said Udon Thani location. 

A bit bit of a drive but in and out in 20 minutes. Hand over paperwork, pay,perception test, picture and off I go. 

Only guessing three staff members station I went to were all ok 

with English. The other location no one speaks English. Maybe they

send foreigners to Udon Thani because of better service for English 

speaking.

Needed two letters from Immigration. Immigration Officer asked three times moto and car. 

DJ54, Where in Udon did you go?. I did my in Udon, this week. At office on ground flour of Aek udon, hosptal. took nearly 4 hours! Went in 11-45am will all docs. At to do, eyesight! test, reaction test and watch 1 hrs video. Then have pic taken and final cough up. And left 2.30pm.

I went for a 5 year renewal. 

Nothing was ever mentioned about where i live, as live in another province Khon Kaen, 

8 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

... Arrived at Chaeng Wattana 9:30ish, ... Waited

until 17:00 for the immigration letter queue and was told I could only get a letter for 1 thing,

a car license or motorbike license, and to come back in 30 days to pick it up.  ... wanted you to know about the long wait to get a DLT letter in BKK,

last time I renewed it took about a week to arrive in the mail.  

Wow, thanks for the info.  To be clear, I take it the letter you're referring to is a Residence Certificate, which you then take to the DLT for your licences?   I'm surprised to hear that it was such an ordeal at CW.   Especially that they will no longer send the letter to you, and you have to go back to pick it up.  And in 30 days, no less!  It all seems unreasonable.  Could it be they were having a bad day?  If anyone else has had such an experience please let us know.  Also, expat_4_life please let us know why it took so long in the queue?  I've never waited anywhere near that long at CW for anything (mind you I've always managed to get there before 9:00 AM but still ...).  Was there anything unusual going on? 

Also about your point that the letter could only be good for a car licence or motorbike, not both, this surprises me too.  I didn't think the Residence Certificate specifies the type of vehicle.  I don't have a copy of one but I do have the old application form and it just has a space for saying the purpose of the certificate, with two check-boxes:  "driving licence" and "other".   Nothing about car vs. motorbike.  

10 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Wow, thanks for the info.  To be clear, I take it the letter you're referring to is a Residence Certificate, which you then take to the DLT for your licences?   I'm surprised to hear that it was such an ordeal at CW.   Especially that they will no longer send the letter to you, and you have to go back to pick it up.  And in 30 days, no less!  It all seems unreasonable.  Could it be they were having a bad day?  If anyone else has had such an experience please let us know.  Also, expat_4_life please let us know why it took so long in the queue?  I've never waited anywhere near that long at CW for anything (mind you I've always managed to get there before 9:00 AM but still ...).  Was there anything unusual going on? 

Also about your point that the letter could only be good for a car licence or motorbike, not both, this surprises me too.  I didn't think the Residence Certificate specifies the type of vehicle.  I don't have a copy of one but I do have the old application form and it just has a space for saying the purpose of the certificate, with two check-boxes:  "driving licence" and "other".   Nothing about car vs. motorbike.  

I just double checked, the form I completed and took along was the Residence Certificate one, and you're correct it only has

a box for Drivers License or Other.

However when I reached the desk of the IO, she asked if it was for Car or Motorcycle and explained that they only issue

the letter specifying one purpose.  Can't say for sure if the letter would be accepted for both as in the end I did not use it.

I then spoke with the woman about my pending travel plans and how I needed the letter sooner, she said no way to

expedite it.  The queue I was in was also processing some sort of tourist visa extensions, can't remember the details.

When I told her of my experience 5 years ago, she said they were swamped, that they were working until 8-10PM

every night and the residence letters were low priority.  Not sure why the queue was organized this way on the day I was

there and if it is like that now, but I had a queue number just under 200 and there were at least two hundred

people in the queue behind me.  Her saying they worked late every night seems very likely.

FYI, they also wanted my 90 days reporting receipt along with the Residence Certificate application.

8 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

... However when I reached the desk of the IO, she asked if it was for Car or Motorcycle and explained that they only issue

the letter specifying one purpose...

I then spoke with the woman about my pending travel plans and how I needed the letter sooner, she said no way to

expedite it.  ...she said they were swamped ...

Thanks.  Did you ask her whether it was possible to get 2 separate certificates, one for car and one for bike, if you were willing to pay for 2?  I'm assuming they would do that, based on the single application (although maybe if they got sticky they'd make you fill out an additional application).  Also how much are they charging these days for one certificate?

Did you get the impression their refusal to mail the certificate  to you (requiring you to return later to pick it up) was a temporary thing because they were "swamped" or that it is a new standard policy?

16 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks.  Did you ask her whether it was possible to get 2 separate certificates, one for car and one for bike, if you were willing to pay for 2?  I'm assuming they would do that, based on the single application (although maybe if they got sticky they'd make you fill out an additional application).  Also how much are they charging these days for one certificate?

Did you get the impression their refusal to mail the certificate  to you (requiring you to return later to pick it up) was a temporary thing because they were "swamped" or that it is a new standard policy?

The woman was very polite and even helpful - I had left my 90 day receipt at home by accident and she printed one out for me.

As to the rest, can't say for 100% sure, I was at her desk discussing ways of getting a letter for both and how to work around

the come back in 30 days for at least 10 minutes, she was pretty adamant about the 30 days which was never gonna work out for me. 

I perhaps did not quiz her about an additional application form or the mailing as much as I could have as I was already thinking

about the Embassy Letter as Plan B.

There was no fee for the Residence Certificate.

37 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

I perhaps did not quiz her about an additional application form or the mailing as much as I could have as I was already thinking about the Embassy Letter as Plan B.

Understood.  Problem for many people is that apparently some embassies are no longer issuing these letters so they'll have no choice.  What country are you from?

1 hour ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Understood.  Problem for many people is that apparently some embassies are no longer issuing these letters so they'll have no choice.  What country are you from?

I did mine at the US Embassy, 50 USD charge for Notarial Service -  in Baht it was 1700.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:32 PM, 007cableguy said:

I would advise going to a place that does not deal with farangs too often,Its always been a nightmare at Regents school Pattaya !

I renewed my car licence at Chonburi city it had expired a few months ago ,I had passport she copied it and visa plus residence letter ,no medical letter needed ,Did a colour and perception test ,Sent to watch video and called out for photo and get new licence all done in an hour!

Apparently i was lucky to get five and a half years on licence ,been told on here i should of got only two years as only had a 60 day tourist visa !!????

where did you go in Chonburi ?

Archived