Election no later than March, Wissanu assures

webfact

Election no later than March, Wissanu assures

By THE NATION

9ed3e48b746948feb6d5dc337d283075.jpeg

File photo: DEPUTY Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam

DEPUTY Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam yesterday said the election will take place no later than March and the Royal Decree will be issued within this month.

The clarification came yesterday after the prime minister met with the coronation committee to discuss the organisation of the royal coronation ceremony. Government House had previously suggested that the post-coronation phase of the ceremony has made a February 24 poll day no longer appropriate.

Wissanu said that the responsible committee will convene again on January 26 and he believed the election date could be announced before that.

“Let me just say that the election date will be announced this month and the election will be within March,” he said. “The Election Commission [EC] will determine the exact date.” According to the law, the EC must announce the voting day within five days of the Royal Decree on the election being published in the Royal Gazette.

However, Wissanu said the government was not in a position to say when the decree would be out. 

It had yet to be endorsed by the King, he said. With mounting pressure and criticism, the deputy PM yesterday refused to say clearly that the election would not happen in February as previously promised.

“I don’t know. I don’t dare to say that,” Wissanu said. “But the media – you can draw your conclusions from what I told you.”

As the election date has not been finalised and public statements have suggested the possibility now ranges from March 10 to 24, a debate has emerged over whether the election would be unconstitutional if the EC failed to announce the results within 150 days of the electoral laws coming into effect. Wissanu yesterday clarified that the constitutional condition only covered the casting of ballots and not the announcement of results.

The results can be finalised 60 days after that and are independent of the constitutionally stated 150 days, according to the law, Wissanu confirmed. Wissanu also announced that May 4th will from next year be known as Coronation Day or “Wan Chatramongkol”.

The official coronation of His Majesty the King will take place on May 4 this year, he said. Details about the ceremony and the celebration will be discussed again on January 26 when Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, a sister of the King, heads the meeting at Government House, he added.

Wissanu said the ceremony would involve three major parts – the preparations starting from April, the ceremony from May 4 to 6, and the post-ceremony activities.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30362023

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-11

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When your afraid to lay your cards down ,and drama, Ceremony,shopping malls is all you got , its either deflect, bluff or fold. ''Just stop <deleted> with the Bhat ,we all know where that should be...

Personally, I'm quite enjoying this... I wonder just how long they can keep coming up with excuses and more delays ?

It doesn't really effect us, except a few people with businesses but the Thai people !! How long will they accept this nonsense ??

Good on the junta I say, push those limits and see how far people will stretch ????

Yada yada yada -   blah blah blah - lies, lies, lies - rubbish, rubbish, rubbish - nonsense, nonsense, nonsense, intelligence insult after intelligence insult.

I don't even bother to read these pathological liars' 'statements' in full any more.

Total waste of time and effort.

51 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

They don't want an election until they're confident they've got it completely rigged. Sounds as if the General isn't quite satisfied the fix is in. Well...not yet.

For a man who can divert the course of a tropical storm with just a prayer, anything is possible!

Phew. Back when they announced the election would be in February 2019 I booked my family to come and visit that month. I didn't want them here while the election was happening and since Big P sad it would be February I automatically assumed it wouldn't be.

As time went on I was actually getting quite concerned that he might for once be as good as his word. I needn't have worried ????.

12 minutes ago, genset said:

They want to move the election from February to March, because the post coronation phase (which takes place after the May 4th to 6th Ceremony) makes Feb 24th a non-starter?

I think it is more to do with announcing the results.. They want to use the full 60 days allowed under the constitution, to rig release the results.

A 24th Feb election would mean this happening just before the coronation is about to take place. I guess they are expecting a few to be unhappy with the rigged results ??

It's a matter of "national security". The rest of the world understands...

It is up to the Thai people to make their voices heard. We can spout our options until we are blue in the face, but as long as Thailand's citizens remain complacent, this junta will continue to do as best suits themselves. 

26 minutes ago, d2b2 said:

It is up to the Thai people to make their voices heard. We can spout our options until we are blue in the face, but as long as Thailand's citizens remain complacent, this junta will continue to do as best suits themselves. 

You've said it all: every word you write (above) is true. The complacency of the (vast majority of the) Thais is what has allowed, is allowing and will allow the junta to throttle this nation on a daily basis.

I begin to believe that a whole country  can largely be comprised of political masochists - just loving being trashed and insulted and oppressed by their 'Betters' on a daily basis !

4 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

Did his lips move?

This creature does not even need to move his lips: even a telepath who had the misfortune of tuning in to this guy would only pick up lying thought after lying thought after lying thought!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

“Let me just say that the election date will be announced this month and the election will be within March,” he said.

And let me just say that the announcing of the new election date will carry the same credibility as the announcing of the previous election date............which is none at all.

Archived