Buying an old classic

pedro01

16 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Are you sure it is an XJ6 as Jaguar never made a XJ convertible. Only the XJS had a convertible model. A few of the 2 door XJ coupes were converted to soft top by a private company. Lynx I think. So if it is one of those it is very rare.

Thai TV featured the Thai classic car club once. The president has a 1957 Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing imported by his father from new. When asked what the biggest problems in the club were he replied. It is nearly impossible for the members to import a car. You have to search the country to find an already imported car. Most of the members cars were what I would call modern day classics.

Obviously, it isn't this car, but here is a Jaguar XJ6 convertible. Agree with you, they are a rare sight. I'll try to get a picture of the actual car and post it here. maybe not so easy, as he has it tucked away and (now) covered up.

6161c613532f397f1fcc06da4915ca1f.jpg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, transam said:

Well I can assure you that my classic car that I owned for over 20 years was one of the best things I ever owned. Not hi-tech, crap ride but was a dream to have fun in. It was a pleasurable hobby that I miss every day. Yes it did turn heads but that is not why I bought it in the first place, it was something I wanted.

Your new comfy ride may well become a classic in the future and deemed a crap ride when future tech fools around with stuff, plus I bet you chose your late model ride by it's tech and what it looked like from the outside, the outside you never see when inside..????

I've always tended to choose my cars on the basis of what I think is value for money in terms of good engineering and future reliability. That means I haven't always followed the sheep. One sees motoring writers salivating over the performance and appearance of a car. It's very rare to see them making any predictions as to durability.

The two best new cars I have owned were a 1974 Honda Civic and a 2004 Mitsubishi Magna AWD. The Honda Civic, the first in the line, was brilliant. It got everything right that the iconic Mini didn't. It's the only car I have ever had which I sold used for more than I paid for it new.

The Magna ( Diamante elsewhere ) was one of the most underrated cars on the Australian market. Technically streets ahead of the Holdens and Fords most people were buying at the time. It's still plugging along in my son's care, with 300,000 km on the odometer. Routine servicing only. Even now, it's a nice car to drive. The appearance never took on with the Australian public. Neither the Honda nor the Magna will ever be called classics, although they should be.

I can understand the yen to have a classic car. The Merc was something I wanted too. I've also owned a Volkswagen Beetle, another icon. The problem with icons is at the end of the day they are only ornaments, and not all that useful.

53 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Actually time has never been discussed, but I don't want to blow a piston, that and I do have a wife who rides me at least 2-3 times a week, so as soon as I red line, that's it for me ????

I would have thought if you are letting her do the driving, not much effort on your part is involved. You can sit back and enjoy the scenery. That's my experience, anyway.

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would have thought if you are letting her do the driving, not much effort on your part is involved. You can sit back and enjoy the scenery. That's my experience, anyway.

Letting her drive is one part, the rest is me thrashing it about to obtain maximum red line performance ????

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Letting her drive is one part, the rest is me thrashing it about to obtain maximum red line performance ????

I've found if I let my GF take charge, she gets to her destination much quicker. If she was a car, she'd be a Mazda MX5 - small, sleek, with good handling on the curves. Good heavens, am I off topic?

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I've found if I let my GF take charge, she gets to her destination much quicker. If she was a car, she'd be a Mazda MX5 - small, sleek, with good handling on the curves. Good heavens, am I off topic?

Lol off the topic we are.

Image result for ford gtho phase 3 photo

Just now, Lacessit said:

If that's what your Mrs. would look like if she was a car - you're a braver man than I am.

She is a lot to handle, but know exactly where I want her to go, although I have lost it early on a few occasions when she has backed up when she wasn't supposed too ????

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

She is a lot to handle, but know exactly where I want her to go, although I have lost it early on a few occasions when she has backed up when she wasn't supposed too ????

I quite like the occasional bit of reversing, if you catch my drift.

16 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Incorrect .. The 1991 Lotus Elan shown for sale in the link was a collaboration between Lotus and Ansan and known as the M100 .. 

You're right, I was referring to the Lotus Elan, the Chapman one, the one that I am correct about!  The real Lotus Elan was not typically unreliable.  I doubt anyone would buy the linked version as a classic!

20 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Are you sure it is an XJ6 as Jaguar never made a XJ convertible. Only the XJS had a convertible model. A few of the 2 door XJ coupes were converted to soft top by a private company. Lynx I think. So if it is one of those it is very rare.

Thai TV featured the Thai classic car club once. The president has a 1957 Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing imported by his father from new. When asked what the biggest problems in the club were he replied. It is nearly impossible for the members to import a car. You have to search the country to find an already imported car. Most of the members cars were what I would call modern day classics.

i think Avon were the first to do the XJC Convertible. i remember seeing one at a classic car restoration company i did part time work atin the 1980s, it had also been 'updated' to Series 3 specs.

Getting back to the OP, by all means get a classic but would be handy to at least know where to get repairs done. It would also be helpful if you have a little knowledge on mechanics to at least fix simple things or diagnose what is wrong. I grew up on classic cars so they have been a big part of my life but they can certainly be a pain (physically, mentally and monetarily) sometimes! Still, the only thing i don't like about living in Thailand is having to leave my classic cars back home to be enjoyed by someone else.

As a previous poster mentioned, owning a classic car for an enthusiast it is not about 'look at me' but the history and enjoyment of owning a quirky machine.

11 hours ago, luckyluke said:

In my opinion, 

It's a pity to see that some of these beautiful Classic Cars are owned by people with money, but no class at all.

how long did you study to become a judge inabling you to rule "class / no class"?

4 minutes ago, Naam said:

how long did you study to become a judge inabling you to rule "class / no class"?

I found study wasn't necessary - experience is. In the sport of golf, I used to be a member of a very prestigious golf club in Australia. Some members had a lot of class. Others ( I remember one who made his fortune exploiting Filipino visa workers in hotel chains ) were crass oxygen thieves.

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:
12 hours ago, Naam said:

i beg to differ and claim that the use of a classic car, especially one that costs more than a fistful of millions, should be restricted to a spin on weekends with the dogs. no need for performance or comfort and no need for "a whole raft of safety acronyms. EBD, ESC, AWD etc.".

:jap: 

Differ away. Performance, reliability and comfort are now more important to me than the fleeting pleasure of having someone admire the vehicle I'm driving. When one thinks about it, that's as shallow as a mud puddle.

obviously we are talking about different cars. i am talking about a classic car "starting" value 5-10 million Baht that one doesn't drive every other day to buy fresh vegetables or to the pub to have a drink.

that classic car is much more viewed, admired and lovingly touched in the garage or carport than driven and is the third or fourth car one owns besides the two or three modern cars which provide comfortable and reliable rides.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I found study wasn't necessary - experience is. In the sport of golf, I used to be a member of a very prestigious golf club in Australia. Some members had a lot of class. Others ( I remember one who made his fortune exploiting Filipino visa workers in hotel chains ) were crass oxygen thieves.

what's the definition of class? today i heard that prestigious golf clubs have members with and without class. personally i find it quite difficult to see any class in grown up men trying to "put" a little ball in a little hole. i stopped playing a similar game when i was eleven (or perhaps twelve?).

but then... to each his own. :whistling: 

If you are interested, this one is for sale. Toyota Crown 1972
Fully restored, 1JZ -Vvti engine, auto. DIsc brakes all around. Power steering.
Fully rewired, including keyless entry and start stop button, Android audio.
Busy with next project (Crown 1968 hardtop) so need space. 
Lovely car to drive daily, but I like more restoring cars than driving them all day long.

58538.jpg

32971220_10214265259739154_4755324624047177728_n.jpg

48617.jpg

Being rich doesn't require morals, being classy does.

what's the definition of class? today i heard that prestigious golf clubs have members with and without class. personally i find it quite difficult to see any class in grown up men trying to "put" a little ball in a little hole. i stopped playing a similar game when i was eleven (or perhaps twelve?).

42 minutes ago, Naam said:

I've been playing golf for over 60 years. I've been a champion at several levels. It is the only sport I know that can still be played competitively at an advanced age. It's the only form of exercise recommended for cardiac patients by doctors. How much exercise do you get, apart from your feet and hands, when you are sitting in your toy?

Each to his own. Personally, I thought your post exhibited very little class. But then, you also have very little understanding.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I've been playing golf for over 60 years. I've been a champion at several levels.

i've been a champion owning toys for many years. owning these toys required a lot of various exercises enabling me to pay for them. :smile:

6 hours ago, Naam said:

obviously we are talking about different cars. i am talking about a classic car "starting" value 5-10 million Baht that one doesn't drive every other day to buy fresh vegetables or to the pub to have a drink.

that classic car is much more viewed, admired and lovingly touched in the garage or carport than driven and is the third or fourth car one owns besides the two or three modern cars which provide comfortable and reliable rides.

Car that are worth 5-10 million Baht and not driven every day, are in fact almost never driven, although once they were made for driving. They are only investments for the owners. And to show to others how rich you are. Most owners of that type of car don't even know how to repair there car. I do not condemn them, but please do not tell me they love to own and drive a classic car, because its only a show-off piece. I have met this type of car enthousiast, and if ask what problems they had restoring their car, they could only tell how much cost them to have somebody restore their car. For me the fun starts with restoring the car to an visual original state, with modern comfort added. The search for solutions and finding the parts is the best and very satisfying. And that is why I love these cars. For that reason also I do not like american cars so much. Many parts are remanufactured nowadays. You see those programs on Discovery. They are more like a lego car, at the end is nothing but building blocks that fit together, the firewall and part of the floorpan are maybe original, but that is it. Yes, you need deep pockets for these cars, but the fun in restoring is gone. 
Admired, sure, by the owner, because they almost never see the daylight, except maybe for the occasional show off at a carshow. "Lovingly touched", you think so ? As far as I have seen nobody, except for the half-year professional detailer, touches these cars. 
The british are mostly the exception to this, they driven expensive cars even in the rain and on a circuit. They really love their classical cars, are maaad about them.

6 hours ago, Naam said:

i've been a champion owning toys for many years. owning these toys required a lot of various exercises enabling me to pay for them. :smile:

Ach so. Maybe you are not aware two of your compatriots, Bernhard Langer and Martin Kaymer, are considerably more wealthy than you as a result of the sport you dismiss as grown men putting a small ball in a small hole. A professional golfer who wins just one major ( not that I expect you will understand the term ) is financially set up for life.

On this thread, you've talked about the 5-10 million baht car, and the other modern cars you own. If my memory serves me correctly, you have referred to your indoor swimming pool and large house on other threads.

Wealthy people with class don't talk about their wealth or material possessions. They consider that to be infra dig and crass.

Archived