Buying an old classic

pedro01

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Don't ask me why; however, the three working class Brits in Australia I knew all described him as something that rhymes with hunt. They hated him. Probably plain vanilla class warfare.

You quoted it so I am asking...Did you ask your three chums why, or are your comments based on three Brits in Oz....?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, transam said:

You quoted it so I am asking...Did you ask your three chums why, or are your comments based on three Brits in Oz....?

It was a long time ago. I was a trainee chemist working with what were basically laborers in various parts of the factory. When I mentioned Churchill, their reaction was unanimous. I wouldn't call them my chums, more acquaintances.

Yes, my comments are based on three Brits in Oz. I haven't really had the time or inclination to survey the entire British population. For what it's worth, most Aussies ( me included ) admire Churchill. Smooth your hackles back down.

Well - this has been interesting so far.

It appears that many think that I am not worthy of a mid-life-crisis vehicle unless I am fixing it myself. That's a bit like saying you can't enjoy a  good restaurant unless you are prepared to go into the kitchen and finish cooking your meal.

Lesson learnt: There's such a thing as 'old car' snobs.

I also learnt there's a member that spends a lot of time stalking a 60 year old French man in a polo-neck, observing his 'lack of class'. Look buddy - life is short - just ask the fella for a date, OK?

Saw this little beauty in Thong Lor on Saturday - I was there at the police station where the insurance companies were battling over the last fender-bender I had. Ikea van hit a motorbike and the bike and Ikea van hit my car. New front fender, wing & wheel for my car - $10k in all. The bike was uninsured, rider was 70 (unharmed - he's a ninja apparently) and the insurance companies were ganging up on him to make him pay. Not a pleasant sight.

ThisllDo.jpg.d960808b7373aeda6c341adbc0daf380.jpg

This car wasn't so bad either....

50755906_10156917182652456_3926129708076367872_n.jpg.e5d1ec98d342454ed2a78f72aa2b293b.jpg

Sadly - neither were for sale.

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Don't listen to all the old farts with moss growing on them.

Find a car you like, buy it, drive the Hell out of it.

If I had the $$$ I would have a 1000 sq M house and a 50,000 sq M garage

Go for it

i agree. Try it and see if you like it. Buy the best condition you can and something that has been looked after and had a lot of money properly spent on it.

The 2 Mercs look great, the Gullwing is over US$1 Mil these days. So double or triple it for Thailand!

Owning a classic car in Thailand, you better have deep pockets or buy one that has been restored to pristine condition to have an enjoyable experience. For pre 80s, most need a complete overhaul.

For 80s cars, most just need an engine overhaul and replace worn rubber bits, bearings, regrease some parts.

Here are some more sources for the OP search. Its always good to ask around garage that restores classic cars too.

Search on google maps for "Beyond Suite Rama 8" there is a classic car dealer that has been there for a long time.

http://www.thaiautovintage.com

Archived