Buying an old classic

pedro01

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been mulling over buying a 'mid life crisis' vehicle, here in Thailand.

Now, I know what you are all going to say - YES - I KNOW a mia noi would be cheaper but to be honest, I still quite fancy my wife (bizarre I know) and we've been together for 13 years and she's showing very few signs of wear and tear.

So a car it is - maybe the classic 80's shape 911. A convertible SL500. Perhaps an Alpina even. Certainly not an old Ferarri - I want to actually be able to drive it.  But you know - something you could do 50 laps of Siam Square in on a Sunday afternoon. 

Is there a place a collection of such vehicles is listed or displayed? 

https://www.classic-car-friends-pattaya.com/cars_parts_1.php - the MGA on there is lovely, as is the already sold 230SL. The lotus Elan is pretty cute too.

Any other sources?
OK OP - it's been a week and a hundred posts. If serious about buying, you must be itching to snap something up this weekend. What do you have your eye on?

1 hour ago, SuperTed said:
On 1/13/2019 at 11:16 PM, pedro01 said:
I have been mulling over buying a 'mid life crisis' vehicle, here in Thailand.

Now, I know what you are all going to say - YES - I KNOW a mia noi would be cheaper but to be honest, I still quite fancy my wife (bizarre I know) and we've been together for 13 years and she's showing very few signs of wear and tear.

So a car it is - maybe the classic 80's shape 911. A convertible SL500. Perhaps an Alpina even. Certainly not an old Ferarri - I want to actually be able to drive it.  But you know - something you could do 50 laps of Siam Square in on a Sunday afternoon. 

Is there a place a collection of such vehicles is listed or displayed? 

https://www.classic-car-friends-pattaya.com/cars_parts_1.php - the MGA on there is lovely, as is the already sold 230SL. The lotus Elan is pretty cute too.

Any other sources?

OK OP - it's been a week and a hundred posts. If serious about buying, you must be itching to snap something up this weekend. What do you have your eye on?

Honda 50.

9 hours ago, tonboy said:

Car that are worth 5-10 million Baht and not driven every day, are in fact almost never driven, although once they were made for driving. They are only investments for the owners. And to show to others how rich you are. Most owners of that type of car don't even know how to repair there car. I do not condemn them, but please do not tell me they love to own and drive a classic car, because its only a show-off piece.

congratulations! you seem to be a real eggsburt. :clap2:

here's my usual question "how many years of research did it take you to acquire the indepth knowledge pertaining to many thousands of vintage car enthusiasts (which includes me)? have we ever met?" :smile:

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Ach so. Maybe you are not aware two of your compatriots, Bernhard Langer and Martin Kaymer, are considerably more wealthy than you as a result of the sport you dismiss as grown men putting a small ball in a small hole. A professional golfer who wins just one major ( not that I expect you will understand the term ) is financially set up for life.

On this thread, you've talked about the 5-10 million baht car, and the other modern cars you own. If my memory serves me correctly, you have referred to your indoor swimming pool and large house on other threads.

Wealthy people with class don't talk about their wealth or material possessions. They consider that to be infra dig and crass.

- i don't envy people who are wealthier than me.

- i reserve the right of a personal view on any matter.

- i talk about my cars in threads which pertain to cars.

- i talk about my pool in threads which pertain to pools.

- i talk about my house in threads which pertain to houses.

21 minutes ago, Naam said:

- i don't envy people who are wealthier than me.

- i reserve the right of a personal view on any matter.

- i talk about my cars in threads which pertain to cars.

- i talk about my pool in threads which pertain to pools.

- i talk about my house in threads which pertain to houses.

Whilst retaining My Nations reputation for fine Humour. Ive got a 2.0. Chum.!.so bloody serious.

2 hours ago, Naam said:

many thousands of vintage car enthusiasts

The guy I know in Thailand has a Rover 90. Or it maybe a 75.

The guy I know in England is a renowned builder of ERA.

So i only know 2 enthusiasts.:whistling:

24 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

The guy I know in Thailand has a Rover 90. Or it maybe a 75.

The guy I know in England is a renowned builder of ERA.

So i only know 2 enthusiasts.:whistling:

I would love a 1960's Mini Cooper S in LOS... 970, 1071 or 1275....Any..Doesn't matter.....????

2 hours ago, Naam said:

congratulations! you seem to be a real eggsburt. :clap2:

here's my usual question "how many years of research did it take you to acquire the indepth knowledge pertaining to many thousands of vintage car enthusiasts (which includes me)? have we ever met?" :smile:

35 years car mechanic and restoring cars, 10 years president of a classic car club, organizing several classic car events, and on top of that working for 20 years in the security bussines (building/shutters/doors/windows/fences related), of which 7 years only for very-very rich people, with houses in the south of France. Have been close with a lot of them. As I don't drink any booze, and they do, you will be amazed how much stories I heard during those meetings late at night in St.Tropez and surrounding. Even driven them back from a restaurant to their home in their Maserati, Ferrari, Aston Martin or whatever they decided to drive that day. All had the same story, expensive classic cars are for investment and to show of. Not reliable, not practical, just desirable and expensive cars they were interested in. 

I don't know about you of course, exceptions make the rules, but hope now you understand why I think the way I do. 

1 minute ago, tonboy said:

35 years car mechanic and restoring cars, 10 years president of a classic car club, organizing several classic car events, and on top of that working for 20 years in the security bussines (building/shutters/doors/windows/fences related), of which 7 years only for very-very rich people, with houses in the south of France. Have been close with a lot of them. As I don't drink any booze, and they do, you will be amazed how much stories I heard during those meetings late at night in St.Tropez and surrounding. Even driven them back from a restaurant to their home in their Maserati, Ferrari, Aston Martin or whatever they decided to drive that day. All had the same story, expensive classic cars are for investment and to show of. Not reliable, not practical, just desirable and expensive cars they were interested in. 

I don't know about you of course, exceptions make the rules, but hope now you understand why I think the way I do. 

You don't have a beer....????

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

win 1.jpg

All the barbs about golf I have ever read seem to come from people with the co-ordination of a cow on roller-skates. As Churchill was a serial drunk, that would not have helped either.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

All the barbs about golf I have ever read seem to come from people with the co-ordination of a cow on roller-skates. As Churchill was a serial drunk, that would not have helped either.

Just perhaps no interest in golf, same as folk may not be interested in snooker..

So you know Churchill was a drunk, or are you assuming he was because of his favourite tipple....?

Oh, and Churchill smoked too..I am sure you will tell us he gave us all cancer...????

1 hour ago, transam said:

You don't have a beer....????

yes, last time when I was 30 or so, now approx 26 years ago. 
In fact, about 3 years ago, during summer and in a Chinese restaurant in Holland, tried ordered a beer. But I don't drink all of it, didn't like it anymore. 
Once every 2 months or so I drink a bottle of Cider, just because I like the taste. Not to really get drunk.
I play pool in team in CM, they all drink alcohol. first couple of games i have difficult to win, the later it get it gets more easy. lol

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Wealthy people with class don't...

An example of "no class",  in my books.

There is a French guy here In Thonglor, I estimate 65+, ( grey/white hair) seems to be wealthy, well at least he is acting accordingly. 

Constantly with the Giorgio Armani outlook ( Black trousers, black T.shirt ).

No style,  a copycat.

So "No class" in my books.

Of course this is a personal opinion, and I am aware that an opinion has no real value, but only a personal approach.

6 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

There is a French guy here In Thonglor, I estimate 65+, ( grey/white hair) seems to be wealthy, well at least he is acting accordingly. 

No style,  a copycat.

Of course this is a personal opinion, and I am aware that an opinion has no real value, but only a personal approach.

I saw a bloke like that in Ubon, I was sharp eyed at the time and I noticed the

gold  medallion hanging round his neck was a Coco tin lid... ????

40 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

No style,  a copycat.

he might (like me) not even know anything about the Giorgio Armani look and cares (like me) a flying fàrt what other people think about his clothes. 

It is of course a possibility that he has no general knowledge.

I really doubt you haven't.

Of course anybody can do and wear what he wants,

and 

I still can think and sometimes express what I feel about it.

Like yourself I not really care, what other may think about my thoughts.

They are essential for me, and that only counts.

P.S. : " A flying fart " is not in my vocabulary and I even don't consider myself as having class.

8 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I really doubt you haven't

in olden times i used a tailor in Hong Kong. since 25 years (starting as a tourist) i use a tailor in Pattaya. neither of them are called Giorgio or Armani. i know of course of Armani, but i had no idea about the Armani "look" and how close i come to this look as i wear often black trousers and a black polo shirt when going out.

24 minutes ago, Naam said:

I had no idea about the Armani look and how close i come to this look as i wear often black trousers and a black polo shirt when going out.

Amazing

Well now you know what some will call you or think what you are.

But as I read here, you not really care.

However  I will tell here another facet of my nature : I am very skeptical and not easely convinced.

End off for me.

5 hours ago, transam said:

Just perhaps no interest in golf, same as folk may not be interested in snooker..

So you know Churchill was a drunk, or are you assuming he was because of his favourite tipple....?

Oh, and Churchill smoked too..I am sure you will tell us he gave us all cancer...????

Churchill was well known for imbibing a quart of whiskey every evening. He claimed to have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol had taken out of him.

One of his best retorts came when he was tackled by Bessie Braddock in the House of Commons.

Braddock: "Winston, you're drunk!"

Churchill: " Madam, you're ugly. But I'll be sober in the morning".

The relevance of your post about Churchill smoking escapes me. Perhaps you have been imbibing too.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:30 PM, pedro01 said:

Not bad that - but I do concur with hairdresser comments made earlier. 

I want to turn heads, not style them.

They do drive a bit like a modern version of an MGB great fun, and reliable. You will need a work permit though to do hairdressing????in Thailand.

I for one enjoy classic cars. Just wish I had more of them, or the money to buy the real rare ones.

Do they perform as well as a new car - no

Do they look like they came out of a cookie cutter no matter what the make - yes.

For me - a ZL1 Camaro 1969, Porsche 959, XKE series 1, ... long list

zl1.jpg

959.jpg

xke.png

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Churchill was well known for imbibing a quart of whiskey every evening. He claimed to have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol had taken out of him.

One of his best retorts came when he was tackled by Bessie Braddock in the House of Commons.

Braddock: "Winston, you're drunk!"

Churchill: " Madam, you're ugly. But I'll be sober in the morning".

The relevance of your post about Churchill smoking escapes me. Perhaps you have been imbibing too.

IMG_2379.thumb.JPG.4b1286544386a301061e245df60a5c3f.JPG

3 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

IMG_2379.thumb.JPG.4b1286544386a301061e245df60a5c3f.JPG

The man had a lot of very good observations. While many ( justifiably ) regard him as one of the heroes of the Second World War, talk to someone of that era who was British working class and the story is different.

28 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The man had a lot of very good observations. While many ( justifiably ) regard him as one of the heroes of the Second World War, talk to someone of that era who was British working class and the story is different.

In what way...?

8 minutes ago, transam said:

In what way...?

Don't ask me why; however, the three working class Brits in Australia I knew all described him as something that rhymes with hunt. They hated him. Probably plain vanilla class warfare.

Archived