Triumph Street twin 2019- Honda CB650R?

guzzi850m2

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

What is that black plastic box, below and in front of the tank, behind the fork tubes ?

Possibly the reg/rectifier.

Other side the ECU.

Maybe.

Probably.

Possibly.

Read somewhere what they are but forgotten.

Edit -

either way it's retro-industrial-nouvo-chic-styling don't you know.

1 hour ago, Nickymaster said:

for me that little black box is the deal breaker.  What were they thinking... 

Yes I gonna contact the seller and tell him the deal is off????????

The rectifier sits above the rear wheel but but the 1st owner has already bought a protection box and fitted.

The seat is a real pain to get on/off, keyhole also above the rear tire and you almost have to get on your knees to get to it, <deleted>!

I guess you pay a price for a relatively cheap bike.

18 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I would go get a stainless steel cover made for it.

Nice spot for a fuse box - good access - but agree with Nicky above !!!

There is aftermarket stuff to cover it up or change the look.

48 minutes ago, Nickymaster said:

for me that little black box is the deal breaker.  What were they thinking... 

Another thing that would make me buy this bike over the MT09, and pay an extra 40k (1000GBP!), is that it has a round clock over an oblong clock.

Call me old fashioned (again) but i despise modern dashes with that bar graph horrible rev counter thing and awful constantly changing numbers flashing up at me.

Yeah i know the clock is digital on an XSR, but at least it is ROUND.

And the revs sorta follow the circle.

That is a deal breaker on an MT09. revolting dash.

2 hours ago, taninthai said:

Is this engine the same power over all the models? Or tuned differently for each model.

MT09 - XSR900 identical.

Touring GT Fazer model - dunno but prolly same.

MT07 - XSR700 identical.

I have heard the new T7 (Tenere700) available later this year will have different final drive gearing and a different ECU tune, otherwise identical.

22 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Well thaiguzzi, looks like I will have to eat my words about the XSR900 because I just bought one. It looks way better in the flesh than I expected.

The owner was kind enough to take me on a fairly long ride, him on his Tracer 900GT and me on the XSR. That's why he is selling the XSR, for his needs the GT is better.

Boy this bike got torque man, it pulls hard from 3000rpm, the engine is just awesome, absolutely loves it.

Maybe I get a Triumph when I turn 60 in 3 years time but until then I gonna enjoy my XSR900.

I put down a deposit already and will hopefully seal the deal tomorrow and will post a couple of photos.

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/2018-yamaha-xsr900-with-quality-suspension-upgrade-and-accessories--349515

Saw it yesterday too. Amazing deal. Good luck!

On 2/12/2019 at 11:22 AM, thaiguzzi said:

There is aftermarket stuff to cover it up or change the look.

Another thing that would make me buy this bike over the MT09, and pay an extra 40k (1000GBP!), is that it has a round clock over an oblong clock.

Call me old fashioned (again) but i despise modern dashes with that bar graph horrible rev counter thing and awful constantly changing numbers flashing up at me.

Yeah i know the clock is digital on an XSR, but at least it is ROUND.

And the revs sorta follow the circle.

That is a deal breaker on an MT09. revolting dash.

Xsr 900 is a lovely bike, sat on one in the manila showroom few days ago and it feels just about perfect- ....but arrived too late to get a test ride! Gf didn't like it so that's another bonus! 

Didn't get the same warm fuzzy feeling from the mt-09 and there was no mt-10 in stock to try, not so keen on the funky orange wheels but it wouldn't cost a fortune to powder coat them black or something 

If your tall the tracer/fz 900 might be a better fit, the Xsr900 isn't as big as I thought it would be and I'm only 6'

They also had a 1200 super tenere with full touring racks and boxes on a platform, looks huge but i have a gsx 1250  i don't want to part with... 

So many cool bikes, so little time... 

On 2/19/2019 at 7:04 PM, eisfeld said:

@thaiguzzi did the deal go through? If so, how do you like the bike? Also interested if you ever got around to testing the Honda.

Yes the deal is done and the bike is mine.

I love it, the most powerful bike I ever owned but I fell very comfortable riding it; meaning it's not crazy powerful but manageable, especially with the different riding modes and traction control. I keep it in normal riding mode and traction control in "2" until I fell I know the bike better.

No I lost interest in the Honda and never tried it.

Congrats on the new bike. Am sure you will enjoy it. I think it was a very good decision to get something from the dark side while you can still handle the rush and the deal seemed great, considering the top notch upgrades you got with it.

There'll always be a time for a retro bike in a few more years ????

10 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Yes the deal is done and the bike is mine.

I love it, the most powerful bike I ever owned but I fell very comfortable riding it; meaning it's not crazy powerful but manageable, especially with the different riding modes and traction control. I keep it in normal riding mode and traction control in "2" until I fell I know the bike better.

No I lost interest in the Honda and never tried it.

MT09 ?

• 3 weeks later...

Go for it, the engine is just awesome and soo much lighter than Versys. I think the MT09 comes with quick shifting fitted, something I looking at fit on mine at some stage.

arghh they really teasing me now,,,,,,free full system akra and 20,000 bht voucher,,,even got 0.69% interest if you fancy a bit of credit[emoji39][emoji39][emoji39],love this colour too.

95DA8D82-6E2E-4107-A2A0-F675612EE5B1.thumb.png.dc73abc7c15465715a3d616c800c7b7d.png&key=f32c4ca7def6525e0678f7ee72f470509bef983cc9f74ad6b28f6f5099582176

030CEBA4-4059-4D7D-AFA8-57740C62FBBC.thumb.png.363e657b5ac41d47facb8248d8d01223.png&key=379e0486ac158629c1dccd4e24dc2b7c105b9d659923e9044c2288ee43b9c764

71A67A40-9A06-4D2C-89D8-BB17B630DCD9.thumb.png.cfb084637bc7e56da586e3f3b8e7584b.png&key=914f3416022ff0ad188baa3269d58c807e21a89420ea0a5b506358f29328f51d

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I had the chance to test-ride a 2019 Street Twin. It's the first time that I actually cut a test ride short. Was pretty disappointed. Good that you didn't go for that bike guzzi850m2. I feel that it does not provide good value for the price they are asking. Lacks both refinement and performance. The former was quite surprising to me.

17 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Yesterday I had the chance to test-ride a 2019 Street Twin. It's the first time that I actually cut a test ride short. Was pretty disappointed. Good that you didn't go for that bike guzzi850m2. I feel that it does not provide good value for the price they are asking. Lacks both refinement and performance. The former was quite surprising to me.

Please define refinement, if I understand correctly the MT09 is more refined than a Triumph. Please explain.

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Please define refinement, if I understand correctly the MT09 is more refined than a Triumph. Please explain.

I never rode a MT-09 so no, I didn't say that. All I said was I didn't feel the Street Twin was not what I thought it should be. For example I didn't like the very noticeable load shifts when going from closed to open throttle at slower speeds (on/off feeling). Or the vibes from 4.5k RPM and up. Or the missing feel of the back brake. Or the skidding of the back even though ABS should prevent it. Or the el-cheapo plastic looking dash that nearly comes down to Kawasaki levels. Just examples of an overall feel I got.

Is it a terrible bike? No. But it just wasn't what I thought it would or should be. If it doesn't go fast (for the cc that it has) then it should offer a really refined ride. My disappointment might have been amplyfied because I immediately hopped on the Speed Twin which was a much much better bike overall.

Now even if the MT-09 had a worse throttle, worse dash etc. I would probably be not as disappointed by it because the Yamaha doesn't try to be a refined easy going bike. It's a hooligan bike that brings proper performance and fun. They have different goals and the Street Twin didn't achieve its goal in my humble opinion. Its Triumphs best selling bike I think, so maybe most people would disagree with me or have different priorities.

The Street Twin is all about the looks and many consider it a beginners bike, experienced bikers will in many cases find it too tame. 

Sure the Speed Twin must be much better but at the price level in Thailand most will pass unless you really really want one and money is not a problem.

Eisfeld where did you try the Triumphs out? Germany?

I am glad I made the decision I did and got the SRX and when the time come for a "new" bike in perhaps 4-5 years time, maybe I can find a used Speed Twin for a good price.

30 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I am glad I made the decision I did and got the SRX

400 or 600? Many years ago I was torn between SRX 600 and Cagive Alazzurra 650 Until I bumped into an Alazzurra while out shopping!  

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

400 or 600? Many years ago I was torn between SRX 600 and Cagive Alazzurra 650 Until I bumped into an Alazzurra while out shopping!  

Ehhh, if you had read the whole thread you know which bike I am talking about, Yamaha SRX900.????

3 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Ehhh, if you had read the whole thread you know which bike I am talking about, Yamaha SRX900.????

Sorry Guz, you are wrong or dyslexic.

VN was referring (correctly) to a Yamaha single called an SRX

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I am glad I made the decision I did and got the SRX

which you wrote, but i know you meant XSR....

Confusing, innit?

5 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

you know which bike I am talking about, Yamaha SRX900.

All's good in the land of 3 letter motorcycle models.

Read the whole thread? I rarely read any posts where the test fills the whole screen.I just saw SRX and thought big thumper. 

EDIT: Weird i Google SRX900 and got XRS900. Explains a lot.  

Archived