Triumph Street twin 2019- Honda CB650R?

guzzi850m2

Eisfeld; again a very informative post from you, thanks appreciate it.

Yes sadly too much money for the Speed Twin, Z900RS is a real looker too but I have decided that Street Twin is at at my max price level. I have to stop somewhere, considering I am using the bike as my toy and not much else.

After owning a HD Road King for about 4 years, most bikes feels uncomfortable, ha-ha, the R.K. have foot boards and I fitted highway pegs on the crash-bar in front of the boards and I could almost fully stretch out my legs. Together with the very wide seat that was super comfortable this was an awesome set-up.

I read /watched all I could find about the Street Twin regarding comfort level for taller riders and most seemed to be able to live with it, some fitting another seat/using an Airhawk cushion seat.

Well the test ride will hopefully tell me if I can live with this or not and then take it from there. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/15/2019 at 2:21 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

customer loaner bike

These exist in Thailand? I onced asked a group of 200,000 bikers on Facebook and nobody knew what I was talking about. Loaner bikes are so common in the west but not so much here. Guess I'll be buying my next bike from Watchara Marine if they're this competent.

6 hours ago, MatteoBassini said:

These exist in Thailand? I onced asked a group of 200,000 bikers on Facebook and nobody knew what I was talking about. Loaner bikes are so common in the west but not so much here. Guess I'll be buying my next bike from Watchara Marine if they're this competent.

That was what I was told. They use a S.T. 2019 as loaner bike.

Watchara Marine seems to be a very good outfit but a somewhat odd fish also selling water jet ski's.

Also getting out of the Mitoyn umbrella is another good reason buying a bike from them, not too impressed by their Kawasaki service center. One of the mechanics revs costumers bikes up until the rev limiter kicks in, not very smart.

Visited Triumph Pattaya again today and was initially told no test ride out on Sukhumvit road. I asked; please call the boss, so I spoke a bit with him and said that I am not gonna buy a bike without a proper test ride so he gave in and let me have a ride on a 2019 S.T. out on Suk., but only 5 km south and then u-turn and come back but better than a "ride" on their land.

The bike feels very good, nippy due to the weigh is low, the sound is just soo nice and good punch from the engine too, clutch is feather light.

I am borderline too large for it but I think it will work with a higher seat, I didn't feel too uncomfortable on it.

No freebies comes with the bike, none at all, class A is 18k a year. Service is 3200baht which is very expensive, also the 800km service will be 3200, hmm, for a bit of oil and a filter; highway robbery. 

There was a ST in the shop with a "sold" sign on the seat, the buyer waiting for a bank loan approval.

I am still trying to sell my V, meeting up with a expat tomorrow that has shown interest.

I want to try the Honda as well and compare for making up my mind which bike I think will suit me best but so far I really dig the ST.

Renting is a very good valid point but I don't see any Street Twin on the attachment?
Yes been to Chang Mai a few times, very nice place and excellent bike riding.

OP, go rent the bikes you want in Chiang Mai. Have a holiday, it be wonderful, i promise!

https://ibb.co/QDpL9Zj

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'll add my feedback, though it applies to a different country and a rider that likes hours in the saddle. I rode 8000 kms last spring for a work contract across Canada. Last summer I had my BMW GSA and a 2014 Scambler, I bought the triumph as my urban bike. Also last year I text rode Kawasaki W800 and the Z900R, and a Honda CR1000R. All these bikes are so different, and this summer I may buy the Z900 as it reminds me of my first street bikes in the late 80s.

The scrambler had more character, and a mellow ride, but like others say it's a small bike for me. I simply didn't use it as much as I hoped, so I'll sell it in the spring. For my an urban bike needs to put a smile on my face, and I rode a Versys for 3 years living in Thailand and it was not my favourite urban bike. Now if it's the 1200 triumph twin that would like be different!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, taninthai said:

The mt09 is looking more interesting everyday for me????????????

I'm torn between this and the z900 as my next bike. Currently got a ninja 650 but feel I have outgrown it now. Z900 is extra 10kgs more weight, but 17 litres tank whereas mt09 is 14 litres both 400k baht. MT09 has more torque in lower gears so will accelerate faster over short speed and seem more of a fun bit but the z900 will outperform in the top end. decisions, decisions. 

42 minutes ago, hello55060 said:

but the z900 will outperform in the top end. 

But do you need the top end (150mph?) in this country or any country really with a naked bike that has no fairing?

There, made the decision for you....

Thank me later.

46 minutes ago, hello55060 said:

I'm torn between this and the z900 as my next bike. Currently got a ninja 650 but feel I have outgrown it now. Z900 is extra 10kgs more weight, but 17 litres tank whereas mt09 is 14 litres both 400k baht. MT09 has more torque in lower gears so will accelerate faster over short speed and seem more of a fun bit but the z900 will outperform in the top end. decisions, decisions. 

They have a 20,000 bht voucher with mt09 which I think you can use to bring price down to 380,000????????????????and as said above the top end is not a deal breaker,both naked bikes so it’s definately not about blasting around at top speed,it’s one of the reasons I prefer naked bikes for the road due to wind blast seems to calm speeds down a little.

Yes riding super fast here in LOS is very dangerous and can get you into trouble quickly.

I like to accelerate hard up to app 160 and then slow down again.

The Street Twin 2019 is fun to ride, it's not super fast nor does it accelerate like a rocket but just keeps pulling steady and hard up though the rev range. Most 4 cyl bikes shoots off like a rocket when you get up in the mid range revs and keep on going until red line.

I am pretty convinced the ST characteristics will suit my preferences best, I am a sucker for torque and I am an old dude now, so taking it easy is fine by me. 

2 hours ago, taninthai said:

They have a 20,000 bht voucher with mt09 which I think you can use to bring price down to 380,000????????????????and as said above the top end is not a deal breaker,both naked bikes so it’s definately not about blasting around at top speed,it’s one of the reasons I prefer naked bikes for the road due to wind blast seems to calm speeds down a little.

Thanks for the advice and to the other posters as well who reminded me that top end isn't all, you have swayed me towards the mt09 now and because of the weight factor explained below. How would I go about using the 20k voucher, do I just got into the shop and say about the price like asking if they will give 20k discount off the 400k or do I need to have a voucher printed or something first and when does it expire? Plus upon closer inspection, the z900 is actually 210kg, the mt09 says it's 188-193kg depending where you read off so an extra 22-17kg is quite a big difference. I'm only a 52kg 5"8 guy lol and I got a Ninja 650 with 8k kilometers on it and that's 186kg so I think the extra weight maybe not so fun for me with the z900 and a bit of a struggle in city environments, especially in BKK where I would be riding. And apologies to the OP for somewhat hijacking the thread a bit. Appreciate all the input.

8 minutes ago, hello55060 said:

Thanks for the advice and to the other posters as well who reminded me that top end isn't all, you have swayed me towards the mt09 now and because of the weight factor explained below. How would I go about using the 20k voucher, do I just got into the shop and say about the price 20k off the price or do I need to have a voucher printer or something first and when does it expire? Plus upon closer inspection, the z900 is actually 210kg, the mt09 says it's 188-193kg depending where you read off so an extra 22-17kg is quite a big difference. I'm only a 52kg 5"8  and I got a Ninja 650 as said and that's 185kg so I think the extra weight maybe not so fun for me and a bit of a struggle in city environments, especially in BKK. And apologies to the OP for somewhat hijacking the thread a bit. Appreciate all the input.

I get adds pop up on Facebook one popped up yesterday with the 20,000 voucher deal,,,,pic below is from November when they had 40,000 bht voucher deal

8BAC27F0-F7C3-40A2-99B4-C27BA0553AC7.png

8 hours ago, hello55060 said:

Thanks for the advice and to the other posters as well who reminded me that top end isn't all, you have swayed me towards the mt09 now and because of the weight factor explained below. How would I go about using the 20k voucher, do I just got into the shop and say about the price like asking if they will give 20k discount off the 400k or do I need to have a voucher printed or something first and when does it expire? Plus upon closer inspection, the z900 is actually 210kg, the mt09 says it's 188-193kg depending where you read off so an extra 22-17kg is quite a big difference. I'm only a 52kg 5"8 guy lol and I got a Ninja 650 with 8k kilometers on it and that's 186kg so I think the extra weight maybe not so fun for me with the z900 and a bit of a struggle in city environments, especially in BKK where I would be riding. And apologies to the OP for somewhat hijacking the thread a bit. Appreciate all the input.

No problems.

I think it's good to discuss bikes in the around 300-450k range.

The Z900 is really a track bike, the Z900RS is really beautiful and have milder cams for more mid range grunt but looses some HP on that account. 

Another review of the CB650R, tester very happy with it:

So the price is about 8000EU which is app 288k baht and we can get it for 305k baht here which is not too bad.

Street Twin 2019 is listed at 8100BP which translate into 336,5k baht and it cost 407k baht in LOS for the cheapest colors.

Honda EU/Thai price difference= 17k baht ~ 540$

Triumph EU/Thai price difference= 70k baht~ 2200$

So looks to me that Triumph Thailand are still keeping somewhat inflated prices and when we look at the new Speed Twin the difference is even bigger. Okay lets not forget when the old air-cooled Bonneville was sold here it was over 800k baht so things have improved a lot but still not fully there. Tempted to write to Triumph and ask them why such a difference! 

Sorry; just thinking out loud.

On 1/28/2019 at 11:16 AM, hello55060 said:

I have a 2017 MT09. I had the same decision to make as you and decided that the lower weight, extra power, slipper clutch, adjustable traction control/power modes and quickshifter on the MT09 made it worth the extra money over the 300k bikes. I use it primarily for Bangkok and a bit of touring and I've been very happy with it. It's all about that 3 cylinder engine which is extremely torquey and a lot of fun, it's quite easy to accidentally pop the front wheel up when pulling away quickly from traffic although setting TC to the highest level stops that.

Only thing I would change is slightly narrower bars for filtering.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 8:26 AM, JonnyF said:

I have a 2017 MT09. I had the same decision to make as you and decided that the lower weight, extra power, slipper clutch, adjustable traction control/power modes and quickshifter on the MT09 made it worth the extra money over the 300k bikes. I use it primarily for Bangkok and a bit of touring and I've been very happy with it. It's all about that 3 cylinder engine which is extremely torquey and a lot of fun, it's quite easy to accidentally pop the front wheel up when pulling away quickly from traffic although setting TC to the highest level stops that.

Only thing I would change is slightly narrower bars for filtering.  

You sold your Ducati? 

+1 to JonnyF's comment: I bought an FZ09 in May 2014 and still have the bike. I love it. It was 435,000 when first introduced here; now as the MT09 it's under 400K, and also has all the goodies that the original FZ import didn't have (e.g. ABS, slipper clutch, traction control, quickshifter). For a CBU import I think it's hard to beat. The triple crossplane engine is a beauty. Like JonnyF I mostly ride it in BKK and I find it as easy to filter as my PCX (I'm 6'2"). Slightly narrower bars though are a good call. The main negatives for me are:

1. The original seat was bone hard (I had it re-shaped and some more padding added)

2. The tank capacity is on the small side

3. It used to be hard to find aftermarket accessories - I don't know about now 

4. It's quite hard to keep the front wheel on the ground in first and second gear (Ed. - this is not a negative)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:26 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

Another review of the CB650R, tester very happy with it:

So the price is about 8000EU which is app 288k baht and we can get it for 305k baht here which is not too bad.

Street Twin 2019 is listed at 8100BP which translate into 336,5k baht and it cost 407k baht in LOS for the cheapest colors.

Honda EU/Thai price difference= 17k baht ~ 540$

Triumph EU/Thai price difference= 70k baht~ 2200$

So looks to me that Triumph Thailand are still keeping somewhat inflated prices and when we look at the new Speed Twin the difference is even bigger. Okay lets not forget when the old air-cooled Bonneville was sold here it was over 800k baht so things have improved a lot but still not fully there. Tempted to write to Triumph and ask them why such a difference! 

Sorry; just thinking out loud.

I've mentioned before The New Triumph Speedmaster is 645,000 bht in Thailand and 21K in Australia.The Aussie dollar being very weak ATM,that's less than 455,000 bht.

HOnda  honda  honda  honda  honda  honda...........................HONDA, I luv my cbr650, saw  the new one the other day at Bigwank Hua  Hin Looks  good  in black but I like the full fairing 320k took a  photo of the red one they had in stock with non stock exhaust

20160104_105131_resized.jpg

20190128_114651.jpg

On 2/8/2019 at 3:15 PM, BKKBike09 said:

You sold your Ducati? 

+1 to JonnyF's comment: I bought an FZ09 in May 2014 and still have the bike. I love it. It was 435,000 when first introduced here; now as the MT09 it's under 400K, and also has all the goodies that the original FZ import didn't have (e.g. ABS, slipper clutch, traction control, quickshifter). For a CBU import I think it's hard to beat. The triple crossplane engine is a beauty. Like JonnyF I mostly ride it in BKK and I find it as easy to filter as my PCX (I'm 6'2"). Slightly narrower bars though are a good call. The main negatives for me are:

1. The original seat was bone hard (I had it re-shaped and some more padding added)

2. The tank capacity is on the small side

3. It used to be hard to find aftermarket accessories - I don't know about now 

4. It's quite hard to keep the front wheel on the ground in first and second gear (Ed. - this is not a negative)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Still got the 899 but I use it only for what it's intended i.e. 2-3 hour blasts out of the city (Rayong, Kanchanaburi etc.) and track days. Love that bike, 22k kms so far and the biggest issue was fork seals!

Good point on the small tank on the MT09 but I found that it's not too bad in terms of kpl. I can easily get 200 kms between fillups if I'm touring at sensible speeds. I find the seat ok but I made a detachable pillion 'cushion' for the gf as it's pretty much a slab back there.

On 2/8/2019 at 4:49 PM, findlay13 said:

I've mentioned before The New Triumph Speedmaster is 645,000 bht in Thailand and 21K in Australia.The Aussie dollar being very weak ATM,that's less than 455,000 bht.

The strong baht and weak AUD / GBP is definitely making bikes seem comparatively expensive here, but in the case of the Speed Twin I do think Triumph Thailand has overpriced it by about 10%.

Maybe due to high demand in other regions so they can afford to chance it with a high price here, if it doesn't sell then they have customers lined up elsewhere...

Now with all this positive talk about the MT09 and I also talked to an expat yesterday on a MT09 which basically said the same as earlier posts, got me thinking hard.

I will have to check the MT09 more, visit some shops next week.

The Bonneville is all about the look and the MT09 is more about a fun ride, both got very torquey engine.

Sadly the Speed Master is out of budget, due to family commitments my max budget are in the 400k range.

Thanks for the inputs guys, all lot of food for thought.

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Now with all this positive talk about the MT09 and I also talked to an expat yesterday on a MT09 which basically said the same as earlier posts, got me thinking hard.

I will have to check the MT09 more, visit some shops next week.

The Bonneville is all about the look and the MT09 is more about a fun ride, both got very torquey engine.

Sadly the Speed Master is out of budget, due to family commitments my max budget are in the 400k range.

Thanks for the inputs guys, all lot of food for thought.

IMO the XSR900 is a better looking bike (same same -different clothes).

Whilst there check out the MT07 and XSR700.

The twin is probably the more sensible option for over here and plenty grunty/fast enough.

In fact, plenty of journos worldwide actually prefer the twin over the triple.

I would need to ride both to make an informed opinion, although i've always thought triples acted closer to a 4 than a twin, and i don't like in line 4's.

Let us know your thoughts once you've seen them, sat on them, or ridden them.

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

IMO the XSR900 is a better looking bike (same same -different clothes).

Whilst there check out the MT07 and XSR700.

The twin is probably the more sensible option for over here and plenty grunty/fast enough.

In fact, plenty of journos worldwide actually prefer the twin over the triple.

I would need to ride both to make an informed opinion, although i've always thought triples acted closer to a 4 than a twin, and i don't like in line 4's.

Let us know your thoughts once you've seen them, sat on them, or ridden them.

The XSR doesn't really tick for me, looks somewhat odd to me, but that's me.

Yes I also saw one bike journalist from a well know bike magazine saying he gonna buy the new ST 2019 for the looks alone but it will not be his only bike but those guys must love bike enormously since they are making a living testing them (lucky bastards). 

Agreed that the ST is powerful enough for Thai roads but the MT09 will very likely have a huge fun factor whilst riding it.

Try check out this owners review (bike tester as well) of the MT09, he absolutely loves it and he demonstrates how much toque that triple engine got and he says that the Triumph Street triple is a more complete bike but at 50% more cost and not worth it to him:

41 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

The XSR doesn't really tick for me, looks somewhat odd to me, but that's me.

Yes I also saw one bike journalist from a well know bike magazine saying he gonna buy the new ST 2019 for the looks alone but it will not be his only bike but those guys must love bike enormously since they are making a living testing them (lucky bastards). 

Agreed that the ST is powerful enough for Thai roads but the MT09 will very likely have a huge fun factor whilst riding it.

Try check out this owners review (bike tester as well) of the MT09, he absolutely loves it and he demonstrates how much toque that triple engine got and he says that the Triumph Street triple is a more complete bike but at 50% more cost and not worth it to him:

When i said twin, i meant the MT07 or XSR700.

Understand the retro-industrial XSR looks are not to everyone's tastes.

But then i don't like the transformer/predator/flying insect looks of modern bikes or the MT series.

The last modern bike i found highly desirable in the looks dept were the 2005-2010 Speed Triples. The bug eye look of the 2011-current models are just too trannsformerish/Japanese for my tastes.

Well thaiguzzi, looks like I will have to eat my words about the XSR900 because I just bought one. It looks way better in the flesh than I expected.

The owner was kind enough to take me on a fairly long ride, him on his Tracer 900GT and me on the XSR. That's why he is selling the XSR, for his needs the GT is better.

Boy this bike got torque man, it pulls hard from 3000rpm, the engine is just awesome, absolutely loves it.

Maybe I get a Triumph when I turn 60 in 3 years time but until then I gonna enjoy my XSR900.

I put down a deposit already and will hopefully seal the deal tomorrow and will post a couple of photos.

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/2018-yamaha-xsr900-with-quality-suspension-upgrade-and-accessories--349515

Congrats dude!

That is a bargain for that price with those aftermarket parts already fitted!

Nice colour too.

Keep us informed once you've done a few hundred kms.

I have read that motor is insane.

I really do need to try one.

Here is another XSR from the States with a Dart flyscreen and some bling and the classic Kenny Roberts Yellow with Racing Speed Blocks...

You do know the tank has removable panels so you can spray a different colour without removing the tank......

2016-Yamaha-XSR900-Summer-2018-2.jpg.6627df5cb8f0ee1aee7a89205f2931ef.jpg2016-Yamaha-XSR900-Summer-2018-1.jpg.8665050b073856c65a9f4d89702ea8d5.jpg

Soooooo much prettier than an MT09.........

Archived