Planes, trucks spray water to soak up Bangkok’s smog

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i havent been sick for more than a year

right now im sick for <deleted> two weeks already (sore throat, fever and much more)

after a week it got a little better because i didn´t go out much, then i went out again and 2 days later it came back 

today im taking the night train to Laos and will stay there for a month ! good bye bangkok 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

“It can spray about 3,000 litres of water per flight,” he said. The water will be clean and will not affect people’s daily lives

The two Basler BT-67 planes are upgrades of the old DC3. So there is to be both rainmaking and water dumping.

The prospect of the rainmaking silver iodine being dropped the from the skies on 10 million people is bad enough but if the so called "clean" water for dumping happens to be contaminated how much damage can that do?

This brainfart has the potential to be an unmitigated disaster. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

two Basler BT-67 planes were called to Bangkok for the mission of spreading water over Bangkok’s sky.

I'm sorry, but this would be funny if it wasn't so serious. Had RTAF spokesman, Pongsak, done a little maths about the area suffering this pollution - at least 40km x 40km = 1,600 sq km - he would have asked Porky to do a fast-track deal for another 10 Baslers. Comical, farcical, diabolical . . . the Thai response to any situation, from pollution to corruption, is always the same . . . same, same. Well, I mean . . . why change it, if it nearly works.

3 hours ago, happy chappie said:

It looks like a war zone up with napalm bombs been dropped here in issan.it rains black snow every night for about a month and me and a few pals give up cleaning the pools because we would be doing it daily.sending a plane up in the air to spray 3,000lt of water and probably burning more fuel than that is pathetic.giving farmers fines of 5,000b per rai and confiscation vehicles belching black smoke out is the real solution but they haven't got anyone to enforce this and the next thing we shall here it's coming in from surrounding countries as usual.

Spot on happy chappie , before I got to your post I was thinking along the same lines.  Cycling through the rice fields everyday up here and on the return run always columns of black smoke to be seen . looks like D day. When I complain to 'er indoors I am informed it blows in from Laos or Myanmar . I wish there was a number/ nimby to phone up here .

I have the following suggestions:

• Photoshop images of Bangkok.
  • Get thousands of government employees to sweep the air using Thai brooms.
  • Dream about lucky numbers.
  • Tell everyone to put their fans outside to blow away the polluted air. (In the same direction would help, but this would require knowledge about compass directions.)

Here is a simple solution.  Set up no drive areas.  Establish drop off points outside the city and close the rods to pedestrian traffic.  Set up Don Muang for instance as a parking lot drop off point.  Only run buses from Mor chit to Don Muang.  No cars allowed. 

Restrict commercial vehicles like large trucks and such to after hours.

Yeah i know Not going to happen but hey. 

28 minutes ago, Ossy said:

I'm sorry, but this would be funny if it wasn't so serious. Had RTAF spokesman, Pongsak, done a little maths about the area suffering this pollution - at least 40km x 40km = 1,600 sq km - he would have asked Porky to do a fast-track deal for another 10 Baslers. Comical, farcical, diabolical . . . the Thai response to any situation, from pollution to corruption, is always the same . . . same, same. Well, I mean . . . why change it, if it nearly works.

Just out of interest, the Baslers are based here in Phitsanulok. I see three or four of them in formation regularly. They are DC3s fitted with turbo-props. But of course, the airframes are about 70 years old.

10 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Or flying helicopters upside down to blow the smog up and then they can mow my lawn at the same time.

Nice one, toofarnorth . . . that one actually raised more than a smile. Next please?

I sometimes wonder which is the most hazardous to my health here in Thailand: The crazy drivers, or the vehicles belching thick , black diesel smoke.

By the way. There has been a run on industrial vacuum cleaners. They are using them to suck up all the dirty air. ????

when you read the words 'enforce strict laws' you know then that nothing will be done. I've been trying to think of 1 law, strict or otherwise, that is enforced here and there are none. please reply if you can think of one.

6 minutes ago, teelac5 said:

when you read the words 'enforce strict laws' you know then that nothing will be done. I've been trying to think of 1 law, strict or otherwise, that is enforced here and there are none. please reply if you can think of one.

Speaking up against the government????

6 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Thailands answer to vehicle pollution;  Planes and trucks. 

Brainless, absolutely clueless!

Spray water from engine powered machines, the water will settle, evaporate & take the pollution back into the atmosphere!

Start by monitoring all vehicles, if it's out of limits get it off the road, monitor building sites etc etc etc

But the best they can do is "temporary measures" !!!

Artificial rain making will not and does not work. A proven international fact.

Hong Kong and Singapore also suffer bouts of bad pollution...all generated by close by nations.

Here....coal fired power stations still proliferate due to vested interests. ..as do millions of cars trucks and bikes. No hope.

The solution is “move to Phuket”. Living in Bangkok nearly killed me. Lots of empty beaches and land out here in Phuket if you stay clear of that dump called Patong ( albeit a very fun dump ) . Check out Laguna Beach and Naithon Beach. Some amazing deals to still be had in Naithon. It’s baffling that Naithon is as quiet as it is due to proximity to the airport and having arguably the nicest beach in Thailand. You can still buy ocean front property there at a decent rate. 

6 hours ago, happy chappie said:

It looks like a war zone up with napalm bombs been dropped here in issan.it rains black snow every night for about a month and me and a few pals give up cleaning the pools because we would be doing it daily.sending a plane up in the air to spray 3,000lt of water and probably burning more fuel than that is pathetic.giving farmers fines of 5,000b per rai and confiscation vehicles belching black smoke out is the real solution but they haven't got anyone to enforce this and the next thing we shall here it's coming in from surrounding countries as usual.

It most likely is coming from China. Please explain to me why the AQI is worse in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam and Siem Reap, Cambodia??? Why would Siem Reap have worse air pollution than Bangkok??? There literally is nothing in Cambodia. Yet current AQI in Siem Reap is 172 vs Bangkok at 151. 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

According to Surasee, rainmaking operations may be possible between today and Saturday in spite of limitations. Bangkok’s inner area is a no-flight zone and the capital’s relative humidity is rather low, reducing the chances of success. Crops in several suburban areas will also be damaged if the seeding efforts do succeed.

“But we are going to do our best,” he said. 

So basically, it's a lot of TALK that in all likelihood is going to result in NOTHING!!!!

Par for the course....

8 hours ago, overherebc said:

Good timing though. The medium term forecast is for the wind to pick up a bit near the weekend and that will help to clear a fair bit of it on it's own.

Not so sure about that....  Look at the forecast below...

112495058_2019-01-1515_19_28.jpg.c4beaa9278228f20937440be84add8b6.jpg

This is just the beginning... It's going to be another two months or more of stuff like this...

Archived