Democrats say they're alternative to military rule, corrupt politicians

snoop1130

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

S__4997125-696x462.jpg

Democrat Party chairman Abhisit Vejjajiva speaks in April.

BANGKOK — The Democrat Party launched an election campaign video Monday under the slogan “You Can Choose,” which said people could decide to not be trapped in the cycle of corrupt politicians or military rule.

In the video, the party vowed to reduce economic inequality and ensure clean politics, though it provided no details as to how.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2019/01/15/democrats-say-theyre-alternative-to-military-rule-corrupt-politicians/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-1-15

To be honest, I'm disappointed, very disappointed, again.

The Dems have many members who have been educated long term abroad, many in England, very well acquainted with and highly knowledgeable about; social attitudes and values regarding building and maintaining democracy, building a balanced civil society and good quality of life for all, building  respect for the law and for equal justice, making massive reductions in corruption, and the policies, resources and methods used in excellent education, etc., etc.

But they continue decade after decade to spew out nice one liners about equality, reducing corruption etc., etc., and with no details of 'how'.

Even sadder they have the folks to write all of this and write it to appeal to a broad audience, but they don't do it.

When will they learn that khun abhisit is now, in the eyes of the electorate, old wine in a new bottle, again, and not attractive. When will they learn times have changed and they need new faces of smart sincere young people.

20 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I won't even bother to read beyond the headline of what the 'Democrats' (ha ha ha!) - and especially the coup-enabler, Abhisit - have to say on the future of this nation.

They have betrayed the people more than once.

Let me guess: You think the corrupt Shinawatras are so much better, correct?

28 minutes ago, scorecard said:

To be honest, I'm disappointed, very disappointed, again.

The Dems have many members who have been educated long term abroad, many in England, very well acquainted with and highly knowledgeable about; social attitudes and values regarding building and maintaining democracy, building a balanced civil society and good quality of life for all, building  respect for the law and for equal justice, making massive reductions in corruption, and the policies, resources and methods used in excellent education, etc., etc.

But they continue decade after decade to spew out nice one liners about equality, reducing corruption etc., etc., and with no details of 'how'.

Even sadder they have the folks to write all of this and write it to appeal to a broad audience, but they don't do it.

When will they learn that khun abhisit is now, in the eyes of the electorate, old wine in a new bottle, again, and not attractive. When will they learn times have changed and they need new faces of smart sincere young people.

Do you know what the Thai voters think?

Do you know it better than the politicians who are involved in this since years?

Personally I understand some voters and there are some real arguments for and again the Dems and other parties.

But I have problems to understand the masses who again and again vote for the same corrupt politicians (or family members of those politicians) and then expect a non-corrupt government. How should it be possible to have a honest government full of corrupt politicians? It seems many votes don't know and don't care. Is there any logic abut what they do? Do they think? I don't know.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It does not matter what I think. It is what the Thai people think. That is what matters.

And again and again and again they showed that they MUCH preferred a Shinawatra government to a 'Democrat' one.

It's so simple - unless one happens to be a fascist and spits in the face of the wishes of the people.

Just now, Eligius said:

It does not matter what I think. It is what the Thai people think. That is what matters.

And again and again and again they showed that they MUCH preferred a Shinawatra government to a 'Democrat' one.

It's so simple - unless one happens to be a fascist and spits in the face of the wishes of the people.

Is it necessary to be a fascist if someone does not understand why people vote again and again for the same corrupt criminals?

45 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thainess starts to seep in the second they return. Before you know it they're back to the old tricks.

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you know what the Thai voters think?

Do you know it better than the politicians who are involved in this since years?

Personally I understand some voters and there are some real arguments for and again the Dems and other parties.

But I have problems to understand the masses who again and again vote for the same corrupt politicians (or family members of those politicians) and then expect a non-corrupt government. How should it be possible to have a honest government full of corrupt politicians? It seems many votes don't know and don't care. Is there any logic abut what they do? Do they think? I don't know.

Good point, and valuable discussion.

Just one point - I suspect that many folks are unaware that it could be very different and they sadly just expect more of the same because 'that's the way it works'.

Corruption; again strange thinking, my best example, village chiefs' wife gets a new BMW and the headman can't possibly afford the tyres let alone the whole car, and everybody knows clearly that the headman is involved in continuous massive corruption.

This exact scenario in the village where part of my extended family live. 

Bottom line 'yes he's corrupt but he takes care of his wife, so it's all OK'.

I respect these people but wow the naivety.

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

BWAHAHAHAHA!

I haven't seen a "But, but, but Thaksin" posts in ages! I thought all you junta fanboys were too ashamed to ever write one again given all that's has transpired during the military junta's regime but I guess you're the exception.

Congratulations!:clap2:

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is it necessary to be a fascist if someone does not understand why people vote again and again for the same corrupt criminals?

No, but you are one per definition if you support an undemocratic regime (being very careful with the terms here as per forum rules) .

geez corruption yeah green shirt style 100 billion dollars for one year, elected gov. 60 billion dollars in one year not including 4g, rail, eec corridor etc. wow these green shirts over decades sure know how to reap and sow cutting the loot in billions of dollars. 

For all those junta fanboys wasting years of their lives posting about yellow shirt propaganda what a waste of your lives. Please enlighten everyone on who corrupted taksins 59 billion baht in a scb account? Did taksin corrupt himself lol

8 hours ago, Becker said:

BWAHAHAHAHA!

I haven't seen a "But, but, but Thaksin" posts in ages! I thought all you junta fanboys were too ashamed to ever write one again given all that's has transpired during the military junta's regime but I guess you're the exception.

Congratulations!:clap2:

Not so fast. You can make all your comments about junta fanboys, that's up to you. What you deliberately miss of course is that many folks have mentioned, in their opinion, the junta lost the plot quite a while back and the junta has made many poor decisions.

That has no bearing on what the corrupt shin gang have done, none whatever. 

2 hours ago, bannork said:

The fact is Thai people place a low priority on corruption, especially if they benefit themselves. Hence the political dinosaurs are returned to power again and again. Chonburi is a good example.  

That is the reason why it will not improve here, as long as corruption flourishes there is too much money to be made from being in government. People will kill, bomb, start coups to get in power. It won't change as we have seen. A vote for a corrupt party is a vote for instability and problems. To think this will change is crazy. Only when people are serious and the politicians in power make new laws and set up real checks in balances and take the money out of being in goverment will the crooks lose interest and coups will have no value.

This will of course not happen with the current politicians or junta as they all benefit too much. And so it goes on and on ad infinitum. Maybe one time the people will wake up and see that by voting for good people (whom are not available now) the country can move forward. Until that day we will have loads and loads of topics like this. I wonder if I will see change in my lifetime.

Just now, robblok said:

That is the reason why it will not improve here, as long as corruption flourishes there is too much money to be made from being in government. People will kill, bomb, start coups to get in power. It won't change as we have seen. A vote for a corrupt party is a vote for instability and problems. To think this will change is crazy. Only when people are serious and the politicians in power make new laws and set up real checks in balances and take the money out of being in goverment will the crooks lose interest and coups will have no value.

This will of course not happen with the current politicians or junta as they all benefit too much. And so it goes on and on ad infinitum. Maybe one time the people will wake up and see that by voting for good people (whom are not available now) the country can move forward. Until that day we will have loads and loads of topics like this. I wonder if I will see change in my lifetime.

are u 5 years old?

5 minutes ago, kannot said:

are u 5 years old?

Nope I am not.. so chances are slim that I will see change ????

Corrupt Shins, Corrupt junta, corrupt democrats and voters who don't seem to understand that its corruption that holds the country back. 

A nice fine mess in Thailand. 

3 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Now they are turning their back on the military. Is their no Gratitude?!  :thumbsup:

The Democrats are fundamentally split in my view. On the one hand you have Suthep's faction, pro military though even he seems to be cooling off about Prayuth (sensing how weak Palang Pracharat are perhaps, and without Prayuth they have no one of any popular appeal- but of course Suthep needs friends in government to delay indefinitely the treason charges he faces), and on the other hand the Abhisit group, more educated yet unable to consider any alliance with Pheua Thai because of the deep animosity towards Thaksin.

And so Abhisit tries to plough this middle furrow, neither pro military nor pro the anti military parties, in other words Pheua Thai. But post election, if it ever happens,  he will have to choose. if he chooses to join pro military parties he will be condemned rightly as anti democratic, if he joins Pheua Thai he will be vilified by many Democrat supporters for forming an alliance with PT.

So he hopes The Democrats can stand the middle ground and attract the smaller, join the government at-all-cost parties, Bhumjai Thai, Chart Thai Pattana etc to form a government? There won't be enough MPs imo.

How to trust the words from a man who boycott election twice and promoted a “people agenda” and then turn his back and team up with the military. If he mean what he said, he should apologies for his past non democratic actions and resign. 

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Not so fast. You can make all your comments about junta fanboys, that's up to you. What you deliberately miss of course is that many folks have mentioned, in their opinion, the junta lost the plot quite a while back and the junta has made many poor decisions.

That has no bearing on what the corrupt shin gang have done, none whatever. 

Maybe not, but this thread is about the Dems, not the Shins.

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

How to trust the words from a man who boycott election twice and promoted a “people agenda” and then turn his back and team up with the military. If he mean what he said, he should apologies for his past non democratic actions and resign. 

Wow, el, would you apply the same thoughts '.... should apologize for past non-democratic actions and resign' to your idol / role model? Hope so. 

If you don't then your comments have no credibility!

A public register for all political decisions , payments, accounting such as daily balance sheets and banking statements, etc.. would help stop corruption to some degree.

But no one is brave nor strong enough. Corruption here to stay.

In fact I see all political governments as just well organised crime gangs.

Archived