Thai Bank Account

What bank is it?

I ask because some banks still seem unable to issue new bank book or new ATM card at a different branch?

On the other hand I read that e.g. TMB would not  have additional fees for out of the region ATM use.

More for the bank experts.

You can leave it open.  However, it's best to have an account where you actually live because in some cases/for some issues only the branch the has your account can accomplish certain actions....fix certain problems.  Plus, you will not get hit with inter-region fees.  I would "not" close the old one (if you want to close it) until you get a new one opened in case  you have a hard time getting another one opened.

1 hour ago, grego49 said:

It would be worth keeping your old one going as there seems to be a lot of drama opening new accounts even if you have an account at a different branch.

Agree.

I have three accounts.

Thought about closing the oldest one (K-Bank, 2009 as a tourist(!)) but dismissed the idea.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

What bank is it?

I ask because some banks still seem unable to issue new bank book or new ATM card at a different branch?

On the other hand I read that e.g. TMB would not  have additional fees for out of the region ATM use.

More for the bank experts.

As far as I know neither TMB nor CIMB nor Krungsri charge for ATM use in their own ATMs outside the home province, though that probably depends on which sort of account/card you have. I certainly have used all three cards in other provinces without paying any fees.
I also think that some or all of them dont charge for using ATMs of (some) other banks either, though I've never tried it.

Most banks do seem to have rules about issuing bank books and cards only at the home branch, but I've never tried to do it anywhere else either.

If you originally opened the account at Bangkok Bank in one province, but now live in another province, would the Bangkok Bank branch in your new province be able to issue you the annual bank letter for verifying the 400k/800k balance (depending on if married/single) for the annual extension of stay?

If you can open a new kk acct in the Pattaya region and no longer need the old acct, remove all the money as they close automatically if they dont get the yearly 2-300 bht fee. 

If you cant get a kk acct in Pattaya you may be able to get a bkb a little more easily.  You may want to keep the kk acct as well as Interbank online transfers are free as the kk webcard is great.

TMB does have a nationwide fee free acct as Khun benq mentioned.

3 minutes ago, SiamAndy said:

If you originally opened the account at Bangkok Bank in one province, but now live in another province, would the Bangkok Bank branch in your new province be able to issue you the annual bank letter for verifying the 400k/800k balance (depending on if married/single) for the annual extension of stay?

Shouldn't be a problem.  I say that because the Bangkok Bank in the Bangkok/CW immigration building have a sign that they will issue a bank letter for any Bangkok Bank branch.  The bank letter is so simple as you probably know....it only reflects your name, address, account number, balance of letter issue date, etc.  Simple stuff any branch can see on their system and therefore any can issue the letter (not to say some branch managers for some unknown reason may not want to unless your account is with them).

40 minutes ago, Pib said:

Shouldn't be a problem.  I say that because the Bangkok Bank in the Bangkok/CW immigration building have a sign that they will issue a bank letter for any Bangkok Bank branch.  The bank letter is so simple as you probably know....it only reflects your name, address, account number, balance of letter issue date, etc.  Simple stuff any branch can see on their system and therefore any can issue the letter (not to say some branch managers for some unknown reason may not want to unless your account is with them).

A slight side step; Do you happen to know if there is a Kasikorn Bank branch in the Bangkok/CW building too?  I tried the kasikorn site, but to no avail. 

13 hours ago, Carib said:

A slight side step; Do you happen to know if there is a Kasikorn Bank branch in the Bangkok/CW building too?  I tried the kasikorn site, but to no avail. 

Yeap....one there.

image.png.295f4c4835eb076df248baabccbbf0d3.png

3 hours ago, Pib said:

Yeap....one there.

image.png.295f4c4835eb076df248baabccbbf0d3.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=3bccf9db2954ff32

Thanks for that Pib, it will make life a bit easier by the time I need to get a bankletter, now everything (bank and immigration) can be done in the same building. Saves some running around in Bangkok.

Archived