I want it all and dont want to pay for it!

Nyezhov

I am looking for my next computer (it will be out of the US market unless there is something here super great that I can change the keyboard on)

I am presently using a Yoga 720 I5-8th, 8gb Ram, 256 SSD, onboard Intel 620. 13.3" touch screen.

I surf the net, watch a movie and edit photos/videos.

This one can do basic photo JPG editing using say PhotoLemur and Silkypix, but it stutters somewhat on RAW.

It stutters bad on editing 4K video. Its almost impossible.

The screen is not the greatest and most brilliant.

So what is out there that will give me the ability to smoothly edit 4K and RAWs that is:

Windows based

No more then 14"

Brightt, hi rez, Touch screen

Not stupidly priced, this one Im using was 16,000 baht.

Do I need something with 16gb RAM and Discrete graphics? It does not need to be convertible

Ultrabooks are not designed for 4k video editing.

if you buy 15 inch macbook pro you can edit them but at what cost? 85.900 baht starting price!

You can easily buy a new desktop with rx570 GPU (cheap cheap) and edit your 4k content way better than any laptop you can buy.

Edit 4K/RAW on a laptop?  You essentially are looking for a "desktop replacement".  Should have:

- graphics: dedicated graphics card 4GB (2GB min) in addition to the integrated graphics and

- processor: i7 8750H  (i5 8300H min, but really i7-8750H or higher is what you want; don't bother with anything less than 8th gen).  You can go for the U models which are less power intensive,  

- RAM between 12-32GB.  It would likely come with 8GB on 1 stick, then you add your own 8 or 16GB stick.  - Display:  Screen should be minimum 15-15.6" FHD (1980 x 1080).  You can get 14" if you really want it, but wouldn't you want more screen real estate if you are editing 4k video?

- Drive:  250-500GB SSD only for the main drive with the OS, preferably the M.2 variety that is more directly connected to on the motherboard.  

The 2nd drive can be SATA 3. 2TB HDD 7200rpm (2TB min, 4TB if you need extra space),

might be a good idea for it to be SSD also.  Anything above 500GB will still be expensive for SSD, particularly M.2.  You put the raw/large files that are accessed infrequently here.   
- DVD RW drive.  If somehow the laptop comes with this, you want to remove it and convert it into a SATA3 drive tray.  Let this be a 2nd/3rd hard drive.    MemoryToday in FortuneTown has this and they usually discount it if you buy a drive from them and/or will install it for you at no additional cost.  You can also convert the internal DVD drive into an external drive should you need to use it.  The enclosure would add more protection, but the usb to sata3 cable itself could work.

- And I highly recommend an external vacumn fan, such as Opolar suction fan to help keep the internals cool.

Consider increasing the budget to 25-35k baht minimum.  Maybe a little more if you want 17" screen.  Another 10-20k if you need the larger SSD.  Good news is that you can get the minimums for the M.2 SSD RAM etc and then upgrade them later if you need.

Or get a desktop with same specs as above and save 40%.  Really a desktop is more appropriate for dedicated 4k video editing.   A laptop it can be done, but it depends on how much editing you will be doing.  Are you just doing short clips of a couple of minutes, or hour long videos?  Are you mostly cropping the video and piecing them together or will you be adding animations and such?

Intel-8th-Gen-Coffee-Lake_14-1030x579.png

I am no longer au currant with the PC world. I am using a second hand Acer laptop, as I left the previous one in a Bangkok taxi, (OUCH!). Only 5,000 baht from a shop, and they "fixed" it so I can use it in English.
I intend to upgrade the drive to 1 terabyte from 500 GB, at least . I like the suggestion of converting the DVD bay, as that should allow installation of the new drive (I think) and allow me to back up the current drive before it shuffles off, which it gives signs of. 
I do recommend the largest display you can manage. I know you are young yet, but you are right on the average cusp of needing "cheaters" to read, and that does not get better as you get older.????
There, my two baht worth.

20 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Just short clips, cropping and piecing together. The primary purpose is photos.

It has to be 14". I travel

They all seem to be 15.6"  If you go down to Pantip or FortuneTown, maybe you can find something more specialized.  A little extra space would be good for a full keyboard and room for the heat to be ejected.  The U series processors can get away with a smaller enclosure, as they produce less heat.

20 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

I intend to upgrade the drive to 1 terabyte from 500 GB, at least . I like the suggestion of converting the DVD bay, as that should allow installation of the new drive (I think) and allow me to back up the current drive before it shuffles off, which it gives signs of. .....

The time to have a proper backup of your important files was yesterday.  The 2nd best time is NOW.  If you need an immediate solution, you could backup to the cloud.  Or clone the drive to a 2nd USB HDD

The main drive with the OS should be ssd 128GB minimum (256 recommended), and then the 2nd drive in the DVD tray can be whatever you want.  If you don't care about speed performance, you could use HDD for both.  It's kind of hard to go back to HDD once you see the speed difference.

20 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

I do recommend the largest display you can manage. I know you are young yet, but you are right on the average cusp of needing "cheaters" to read, and that does not get better as you get older.????
There, my two baht worth.

Use reading glasses (the + numbers) to relax the eyes.  Distance glasses (-) actually stretch your eyeballs over time, requiring a stronger pair every 6-18 months.

The test is to try on "+" reading pairs such that the image you look at is just slightly blurry at the distance you will normally use them for.  Then after using them for about 10+ min on a computer/smartphone screen, you can remove them and notice your eyes will not be as strained when you look at far away objects.  Your eyes won't hurt as much either.   Myopia.org has some more details on the pitfalls of distance glasses for prolonged reading.

The 14" Lenovos have some good specs and I can get up to 16gig DDR...but they all have onboard video.

Maybe that is the questoin...is discrete video card necessary if you run 16gig.

On 1/18/2019 at 9:31 AM, Nyezhov said:

The 14" Lenovos have some good specs and I can get up to 16gig DDR...but they all have onboard video.

Maybe that is the questoin...is discrete video card necessary if you run 16gig.

for any kind of video editing, especially 4k/RAW video editing......YES!!!   2GB GPU card is pretty standard with i5.  4GB is with the gaming/H series i5/i7

I have 3rd gen i5 and my laptop has 2gb nvidia.  Really I don't understand why 4GB isn't standard and 8GB is the "higher end" by now in 2019 for graphics cards, especially considering how crypto took off in that time.

Actually my next laptop was going to be 8th gen 8250U OR Ryzen 5 2500U.   You can  get a little bit more from AMD for the same money.

Archived