Border Runs: Out/In

I am sure I saw an article about 3 months ago saying that there is now no limit on the amount of Out/In border runs someone can do. Did seem strange to me at the time, but strange things happen here reference the Visa / rules to stay situation, I have just learnt to go with it.

Although I was reading a post sent to me today saying that there are limits on them still?

Anyone?

My understanding was you could do two border runs per year? I've not heard anything to suggest that they are unlimited. 

The general whinging from the long term "tourists" around the place (read: been here for years, rather than months) is that it is getting harder and harder

18 minutes ago, wildpikey said:

I am sure I saw an article about 3 months ago saying that there is now no limit on the amount of Out/In border runs someone can do.

That was a proposal that was approved as a concept for visa exempt entries at land border crossings but it was never formally approved.

Visa exempt entries at land border crossings are still limited to 2 per calendar year.

With a valid visa for entry there is no limit.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wildpikey said:

So 2 by land crossings and "unlimited" by Air? or is there limits on that also? 

I apologize for asking, I know this topic comes up all the time, but its because it seems to need clarifying all the time!  LoL..

No official limit by air......

Some say after 6 you will be 'scrutinized' !

4 minutes ago, wildpikey said:

I apologize for asking, I know this topic comes up all the time, but its because it seems to need clarifying all the time!  LoL..

By land, all is now clear: avoid Poipet and you can expect 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year.

By air, it is impossible to clarify. Policy varies between airports and individual immigration officials. The "rules" applied by the individual officials will depend on many factors, such as skin colour, grooming and traveller's attitude as well as more concrete criteria such as whether there is reasonable suspicion of illegal working. How much time in total has been spent in Thailand is very important to some officials. As stated, officials receive an alert if you have six or more visa exempt entries since around mid 2015. This alert recommends increased scrutiny. However, the official has no obligation to be lenient on those with fewer than six, nor more strict on those with more.

3 hours ago, wildpikey said:

There is no set limit by air. IO’s have the discretion to decide when enough is enough.

It’s not the number of entries that are interested in, but the amount of time spent in the country as a ‘tourist’.

On 1/19/2019 at 5:20 AM, ubonjoe said:

That was a proposal that was approved as a concept for visa exempt entries at land border crossings but it was never formally approved.

Visa exempt entries at land border crossings are still limited to 2 per calendar year.

And if, in March, I choose to do a quick hop (or even a couple of days) to Cambodia instead of extending my SETV would you advise carrying 20,000 Baht and /or air ticket out of Thailand showing me leaving in April? I will actually only need an extra 15 days but realise an extension or border hop will get me 30 days (UK Passport) and I haven't entered Thailand without a Visa for decades - literally!

Edited by VBF

9 minutes ago, VBF said:

And if, in March, I choose to do a quick hop (or even a couple of days) to Cambodia instead of extending my SETV would you advise carrying 20,000 Baht and /or air ticket out of Thailand showing me leaving in April? I will actually only need an extra 15 days but realise an extension or border hop will get me 30 days (UK Passport) and I haven't entered Thailand without a Visa for decades - literally!

You should not need to show 20k baht or tickets out at most border crossings. Avoid the Aran/Poipet crossing to Cambodia.

If you will be in Bangkok the Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing to Myanmar in Kanchanaburi is a good choice. You only need to get a Myanmar border pass that is just a stamp instead of a full page visa sticker for a Cambodia voa.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You should not need to show 20k baht or tickets out at most border crossings. Avoid the Aran/Poipet crossing to Cambodia.

If you will be in Bangkok the Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing to Myanmar in Kanchanaburi is a good choice. You only need to get a Myanmar border pass that is just a stamp instead of a full page visa sticker for a Cambodia voa.

Thank you @ubonjoe I shall be based in Pattaya but there are loads of travel companies offering visa runs if i choose to do it. I am actually going to Kanchanaburi this trip (road trip with friends who live in Bangkok) but that'll be right at the start of my time in Thailand so it would be the wrong time to do a border hop. Not exactly difficult to get from Pattaya to Bangkok for a second time, after all.   Nice to have options.:cool:

Edited by VBF

And the prospect of this actually happening is pretty slim now i presume ?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk