Thai wife's government workers health insurance good enough?

sidjameson

It is fine as long as you are satisfied to be treated at a government hospital and can get registered at a fairly large one.  It covers care only in the one hospital you are registered at (or a higher level facility it refers you to) so you don't have the range of choice that private insurance provides. BUT everything is covered, inpatient and outpatient, with no annual limit on amount.

The larger Government hospitols Ive used have always been very good albeit always busy. The smaller ones out in the boonies will do their best but then refer you to a major one for more serious complaints. Its free, take it....you know what medical insurance costs for a Foreigner.

7 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Actually i dont know what insurance costs. I never had it before. But now i am 50 i seem to worry about things more, like being hit by a car. 

Government workers health cover good enough for a farang husband?

Of course it is, just take me for an example, serious accident taken to Khonkaen government hospital, put back together, titanium rods/ screws around my spine, 7 month stay, have nothing but praise for the doctors and nurses caring for me.

Only cost to me was government pay 1000 baht per day for private room, so i had to pay the other 300 baht per day for the cost of the room.

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is fine as long as you are satisfied to be treated at a government hospital and can get registered at a fairly large one.  It covers care only in the one hospital you are registered at (or a higher level facility it refers you to) so you don't have the range of choice that private insurance provides. BUT everything is covered, inpatient and outpatient, with no annual limit on amount.

I am registered at five different hospitals. Four of them issue their own registration cards and one accepts the pink ID card as proof or registration. On a recent visit to one of those hospitals my wife was informed that there is a card, which has to be applied for through the local area education office (my wife is a teacher), that is good for treatment at any government hospital. The application has been completed and submitted so now it is a matter of waiting, mine was the first application submitted for this new card and nobody was able to say how long it will take to process in Bangkok.

He's asking about the Civil Service SS scheme. There are two SS schemes. One for Civil Servants (better coverage and includes spouses and dependents) and one for other employees (includes only the employee).

I had though that, like the regular SS, CSS could only be used at one hospital. A little hard to figure how it would work otherwise in terms of hospital budget allocations. But post #9 seems to suggest otherwise.

Archived