Best tomatoes variety to grow in Thailand

noopin2014

Hi,

I tried to grow different varieties of tomatoes on my land in Issan, all was sick, the leaf curl or roll and some fruits got black. Which varieties are strongest and more suitable to grow of Thailand ? Could you recommend any good seed and where to buy it ?

Thanks !

Cheers

I've grown numerous tomato cultivares in Korat (too many to list here), but never had the problems you've described. 

When do you sow the seeds? Due to the climate, it's advisable to sow the seeds in Sept./Oct. just as the rainy season is coming to an end so that the plants are ready for the cool season. You should be getting fruit in Dec.-Feb./Mar. 

Tomatoe plants generally prefer a really good watering once a week, maybe every 4 or 5 days down here in the tropics. I found watering them daily/every other day didn't help. When watering the plants, only water the base/soil - not the stems or leaves as the plants don't like this. Add fertilizer (every 2 weeks IF I remember correctly). 

When buying seeds, be sure to buy packets from inside the store and not from the racks outside exposed to the sun day in, day out. 

E-626-What-Makes-Tomato-Leaves-Twist-or-Curl.pdfE-626-What-Makes-Tomato-Leaves-Twist-or-Curl.pdf

9 hours ago, djayz said:

I've grown numerous tomato cultivares in Korat (too many to list here), but never had the problems you've described. 

When do you sow the seeds? Due to the climate, it's advisable to sow the seeds in Sept./Oct. just as the rainy season is coming to an end so that the plants are ready for the cool season. You should be getting fruit in Dec.-Feb./Mar. 

Tomatoe plants generally prefer a really good watering once a week, maybe every 4 or 5 days down here in the tropics. I found watering them daily/every other day didn't help. When watering the plants, only water the base/soil - not the stems or leaves as the plants don't like this. Add fertilizer (every 2 weeks IF I remember correctly). 

When buying seeds, be sure to buy packets from inside the store and not from the racks outside exposed to the sun day in, day out. 

E-626-What-Makes-Tomato-Leaves-Twist-or-Curl.pdfE-626-What-Makes-Tomato-Leaves-Twist-or-Curl.pdf

Thanks for your answer djayz, i sow the seeds one month ago, on december. I use to water the tomatoes one time a day and as fertilizer i use shit cow one time a week. Furthermore i don't use any chemical product.

10 minutes ago, noopin2014 said:

Thanks for your answer djayz, i sow the seeds one month ago, on december. I use to water the tomatoes one time a day and as fertilizer i use shit cow one time a week. Furthermore i don't use any chemical product.

You're welcome noopin. 

I forgot to mention this yesterday, but there are a few threads running in the "organic / kitchen gardening" sub-forum about tomatoes which may be of interest to you. 

I could only find one of them. Here it is: 

I vaguely remember a second thread about tomatoes, but don't have the time now to scroll back and fort looking for it. 

11 hours ago, djayz said:

You're welcome noopin. 

I forgot to mention this yesterday, but there are a few threads running in the "organic / kitchen gardening" sub-forum about tomatoes which may be of interest to you. 

I could only find one of them. Here it is: 

I vaguely remember a second thread about tomatoes, but don't have the time now to scroll back and fort looking for it. 

thanks again !

• 2 weeks later...

Let's start again. Soidog has an excellent garden. He lives in the same region as my wife's aunt lives, and they can grow stuff that we can't. If they can grow maize in your region you can probably grow tomatoes, in our village and surroundings, nobody can grow members of the solanaceae family, including tomatoes, egg plants, potatoes, chili and tobacco. 500 metres away across the road, you can. Not just weather, also soil and altitude. 

For an easy life, look what your neighbours are growing, or do as I did, import a truck load of soil to at least be able to grow chilis. May try tomatoes in the same place next year.

Archived