Mother, son killed in Surat Thani train crash

snoop1130

Mother, son killed in Surat Thani train crash

By The Nation

932252f57d98125871ecd44cfe4c9bc5.jpeg

A mother and her son were killed on Tuesday morning when their pickup was hit by a passenger train in Surat Thani’s Tha Chana district after apparently breaking down at a rail crossing.

Police said the accident happened at 7.45am at a crossing in Ban Khao Chavala village, in Tambon Khanthalee.

The mother was identified as Weerawan Semrod, 38, a resident of Tha Chana. 

She was killed behind the wheel, while her 10-year-old son, Manoonsak, was hurled out of the pickup by the impact and died at the scene.

Her relatives told police that she had been driving her son to Ban Duad School in Chumphon’s Lamae district, which borders Tha Chana.

Police believe the engine of Weerawan’s truck broke down at the crossing, which has no rail guards, just as the Bangkok-Surat Thani train was approaching, resulting in the fatal collision.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30362723

— The Nation 2019-01-22

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

i cant believe her truck broke down while on the crossing more like didnt look or see the train or thought she could beat the train, with the, i go first attitude. if the truck did break down on the crossing why not get out of the truck ? RIP

Well, the OP says '...just as the train was approaching...'. However, that still makes your comment likely because she must have known the '..train was approaching'. Probably one of those 'brake failure' type excuses. Ugh, two lives wasted for the sake of few seconds. My condolences to the family.

One thing that pisses me off every time I see a picture like this, is the amount of ghouls that appear out of nowhere to get there daily orgasm from seeing accident victims.

R i P to the mother and her son.

As far as the ghouls are concerned, the track should be cleared, and the train should cream the lot of them; ****in sad, useless bunch of morons!

Let’s suppose her journey was 5 miles one way. That’s 26,400 feet of travel. 

But the truck quit right on the crossing track. A mere 20’ one way or the other out of 26,400’ and she and son would have been safe. 

Such odds, 20/26,400 !

3 hours ago, Moti24 said:

One thing that pisses me off every time I see a picture like this, is the amount of ghouls that appear out of nowhere to get there daily orgasm from seeing accident victims.

R i P to the mother and her son.

As far as the ghouls are concerned, the track should be cleared, and the train should cream the lot of them; ****in sad, useless bunch of morons!

Probably passengers from the train. 

Totally incorrect headline, no train crash... maybe 'Pick Up Attempts to Beat Approaching Train at Unbarried Level Crossing' resulting in the death of mother and child (plus probably injuries to passengers on train) Could have derailed and killed a lot more people and badly injured others. Cock & Bull story about engine cutting out on crossing - how they know that?

Even with their kids with them these people do not seem to grasp the concept of safe competent driving, they are just accidents waiting to happen I hope the poor train driver was alright physically, mentally it will have taken its toll. 

I think the govt should sort road safety out and the daily carnage before they throw HS Trains into the mix 

RIP to the Mother and Kid

12 hours ago, neeray said:

Let’s suppose her journey was 5 miles one way. That’s 26,400 feet of travel. 

But the truck quit right on the crossing track. A mere 20’ one way or the other out of 26,400’ and she and son would have been safe. 

Such odds, 20/26,400 !

I suspect something missed in translation there.... Perhaps they meant the Engine 'stalled' on the crossing...  (especially if the pickup was no an automatic).

Looking at the damage the train was possibly traveling quite quickly.... unfortunately many on the roads over here have very little spatial awareness - its heartbreaking that the likelihood is these deaths were caused by a simple and tragic lapse in judgement... she didn't look...  

It's so very sad to repeatedly read news such as this... 

That "Sprinter" train is very noisy. It signals a lot when it get close to road crossings. You can't avoid not to be aware that it's coming. And it's called "Sprinter" because it goes as fast as it's allowed, up to 120kph. I actually measured myself with a GPS.

Archived