Chinese delegation visit Pattaya to ask for improved safety measures ahead of Chinese New Year

webfact

Just now, Mavideol said:

have to disagree.... if tourists want to travel around the world they better learn an international language not the other way around but you have the right to your opinion. I personally traveled all around the world either business or tourism and I never expected the countries that I visited to speak my home country language (it's not English) it's the person that has or should adapt to the country and not the country to adapt to the person, so in case you got lost with my comment, your point was Thailand to learn how to speak Chinese and my point was and still is for Chinese to learn how to speak Thai or they should stay at home

Again I repeat to you-if you want to attract tourists en masse then you will cater for them by having bi-lingual interpreters,proper safety measures and a decent environment.

If you are too lazy and greedy to provide these things then your tourist industry will go down the toilet-which is where the Thai tourism industry is going now.

Doctrinaire notions of "I don't have to speak their language" they should speak mine and learn (my not so special) culture just leads to excrescences such as Pattaya and Phuket both of which are doing a Titanic and plunging straight for the bottom.

The idiotic notion that every tourist should have to undergo rigourous training in Thai-to visit a sewerage infested garbage dump is utterly risible.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, fruitman said:

Exactly! The Chinese have taken over Thailand....there's no way back from now on.

If I was young again and planned to have children, they would learn how to speak Mandarin Chinese and I would be learning with them.  English may retain it's place as The Language of International Business, but with the development of Eurasia, ME, and Africa the second language of international business will be Chinese.

6 minutes ago, connda said:

I don't think that 80% of all swimmers are Chinese, so what do these figures suggest?  That perhaps Chinese may not be the most proficient swimmers in the waters?  Perhaps a campaign in China should be implemented to teach beach-going Chinese tourists how to swim including defensive techniques such as simply staying afloat and treading water.  Maybe?  Just a thought.

How about just employing a few lifesavers.How about patrolling the beaches.How about having an official on hand to advise about the local conditions on the day...

Proper supervision and safety training is the way to go and the Chinese delegation is quite right to apply pressure on a country notorious for making a fast buck and flouting every health and safety regulation in the book.

Or perhaps no tourist should ever point out any of these things in the land of delusional Flim and Flam?

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Again I repeat to you-if you want to attract tourists en masse then you will cater for them by having bi-lingual interpreters,proper safety measures and a decent environment.

If you are too lazy and greedy to provide these things then your tourist industry will go down the toilet-which is where the Thai tourism industry is going now.

Doctrinaire notions of "I don't have to speak their language" they should speak mine and learn (my not so special) culture just leads to excrescences such as Pattaya and Phuket both of which are doing a Titanic and plunging straight for the bottom.

The idiotic notion that every tourist should have to undergo rigourous training in Thai-to visit a sewerage infested garbage dump is utterly risible.

I lived in the Uk, the USA, France, Mexico, China and some other countries, I never saw any of them trying to learn the language of the visitors, now you say Thai to learn Chinese why not learn English, French, German and so forth, it's my experience by being here in Thailand that the majority of farangs are trying to learn Thai in order to communicate with Thais, as far as I know it, Chinese are ALSO farangs, so be so kind to explain the difference, I am not smart enough to understand

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

How about just employing a few lifesavers.How about patrolling the beaches.How about having an official on hand to advise about the local conditions on the day...

Proper supervision and safety training is the way to go and the Chinese delegation is quite right to apply pressure on a country notorious for making a fast buck and flouting every health and safety regulation in the book.

Or perhaps no tourist should ever point out any of these things in the land of delusional Flim and Flam?

please enlighten me, does Thai did or does it for the other tourists, are you delusional ???

17 minutes ago, connda said:

I don't think that 80% of all swimmers are Chinese, so what do these figures suggest?  That perhaps Chinese may not be the most proficient swimmers in the waters?  Perhaps a campaign in China should be implemented to teach beach-going Chinese tourists how to swim including defensive techniques such as simply staying afloat and treading water.  Maybe?  Just a thought.

They're usually very short sighted too. Maybe they are mistaking the red flags for their national flag and think that it means, "Chinese Only".

8 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I am sure that Chinese don't make up 80% of the visitors, so there must be another reason. Intelligence, or lack of it is the first thing that comes to mind. Not understanding the dangers, and swimming in dangerous places and times is most likely. Not sure what the Thai authorities can do about solving stupidity.

visit.jpg

10 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

please enlighten me, does Thai did or does it for the other tourists, are you delusional ???

Thailand's health and safety record and reputation is abysmal.The only person /persons deluding themselves on that subject are you and your fellow Stockholm Syndromists.

If the Chinese are going to give them a lecture on the basics of tourism then the Land of Scams would be wise to listen and learn.

That is strange..I met plenty of Mexicans who spoke English...

I met plenty of French who did too..

The majority of foreigners (please note-not farang) that I have met in Thailand could not put 20 words of Thai together.

Chinese are not "farang"-this is a very new usage instigated by Thai right wing xenophobia and pushed for a  political purpose as the Thai education system cannot even attain kindergarten levels of achievement within its own region.

you are correct, the word is foreigner and Chinese are foreigners as some of us also are, I can't speak for you. Mexicans and French speaking English  and THAT'S YOUR ANALOGY? you didn't get the point, while in Mexico they DID NOT spoke my home country language nor did the USA or the UK or any other country that I visited, they used their own language or English

Thailand's health and safety record and reputation is abysmal.The only person /person deluding themselves on that subject are you and your fellow Stockholm Syndromists.

If the Chinese are going to give them lecture on the basics of tourism then the Land of Scams would be wise to listen.

so Thailand should bend backwards for the Chinese but the others, who gives a crap? keep you opinion and I will keep mine

8 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

so Thailand should bend backwards for the Chinese but the others, who gives a crap? keep you opinion and I will keep mine

Well..you will just go down the plug-hole with the rest of them.

A tourist industry rancid with greed and corruption without the capacity to adapt and change.

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

If other nations who routinely issue warnings about safety and scams in Thailand would join with the Chinese in pulling the Thai into line I would most certainly welcome it

The Thais should to-if they want to retain a tourist industry.

You are welcome to your opinion.

27 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I asked you a question.

Why do you and your buddy oppose and denigrate a Chinese delegation discussing enhanced and (presumably) efficient  safety measures for their tourists in the Thailand?

As for making myself a dick-you don't know me and I (mercifully) do not know you-thank the Lord Harry.

I will answer your question truthfully. I have no strong opinion on the Chinese delegation, which is why I haven't expressed an opinion on them in this thread.

I have only expressed an opinion on some deluded farang who insists on misinforming his fellow farangs that the word "farang" is pejorative.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Pattaya has been bending over forwards for years.  Are the Chinese really that different? 

ask Odysseus 123 he knows better than anybody else but it appears, by his standards, they are different

Thailand is a Provence of China. They just about own everything here. My next suggestion is just open the border between Thailand and China and have free movement. Oh well, I don't mind Chinese people. They have to spread there 1.5 billion population somewhere. Least if they take over here we will get our roads fixedlol lol

16 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

If it's a "sewerage infested garbage dump" surely TAT should do everything in their power to discourage tourists from coming here. If a tourist's first impression of Thailand is "a sewerage infested garbage dump", they are unlikely to return to Thailand, neither are their friends or contacts on social media.

As for Thais learning their language, they already do. Both of my stepchildren, who live in Suphanburi, have studied Mandarin Chinese for a number of years in school. The eldest is now taking a degree in tourism and, as part of that degree, is studying Mandarin to a high level. My son, a six year old, has already been offered extra lessons in Mandarin, at his school, here in Pattaya.

Also, it's impossible for the locals at any tourist destination in the world, to learn the native language of every tourist that they are likely to encounter. It's for this reason that people working in the tourist industry concentrate on learning English as the majority of tourists either have English as their first language or have learned it as a second language.

Maybe Chinese people should learn English in school, if they have an ambition to travel. It would serve them well, wherever they travelled to in the world.

45 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Maybe Chinese people should learn English in school, if they have an ambition to travel. It would serve them well, wherever they travelled to in the world.

actually they do but don't care too much about it as it's considered not so important, you have no idea how many times I went to school (parents) meetings and brought that subject up, the answer was, """" we are in China thus learn Chinese"""" one track mind people

19 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

actually they do but don't care too much about it as it's considered not so important, you have no idea how many times I went to school (parents) meetings and brought that subject up, the answer was, """" we are in China thus learn Chinese"""" one track mind people

They’re so alike the Thais except shrewder and possibly smarter since they believe in the language of money similarly to the Thais so let them kill themselves..

Archived