Chinese delegation visit Pattaya to ask for improved safety measures ahead of Chinese New Year

webfact

Chinese delegation visit Pattaya to ask for improved safety measures ahead of Chinese New Year

3pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

A high profile delegation of officials from the Chinese Embassy in Thailand went to Pattaya yesterday to request improved safety for their nationals. 

The move follows a large number of deaths from drowning of Chinese people visiting the resort. 

Senior embassy secretary Zhou Guangxu told a meeting at tourist police HQ that a large number of Chinese people would be visiting in "Golden Week" from February 4th to 10th and he wants to see better care taken of his compatriots especially those swimming or doing water sports. 

He said that 80% of drowning deaths in Pattaya were Chinese people. 

The Thai authorities and operators promised more signage especially on speedboats and better communication in advising Chinese nationals about the dangers, reported Manager. 

In addition Mr Zhou called for safety checks on boats and buses to be made.

He asked for shops renting motorcycles to be stringent and only rent bikes to those tourists with international licences. He asked for help from the police in enforcing this aspect of safety as well. 

And he requested that more officials be brought in that could speak Chinese as he recognized that most of his compatriots could speak neither Thai nor English. 

Thaivisa notes that only last week a Croatian national saved two Chinese men from drowning at the beach. 

Calls have been made for lifeguards but this aspect of safety was not mentioned in the Manager article. 

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-23

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, webfact said:

And he requested that more officials be brought in that could speak Chinese as he recognized that most of his compatriots could speak neither Thai nor English. 

smacks of a pre-invasion; next step replace the thai officials with chinese

24 minutes ago, webfact said:

I am sure that Chinese don't make up 80% of the visitors, so there must be another reason. Intelligence, or lack of it is the first thing that comes to mind. Not understanding the dangers, and swimming in dangerous places and times is most likely. Not sure what the Thai authorities can do about solving stupidity.

Like it or not ,the Chinese are in Pattaya and they love it here,i have spoke to dozens of Chinese ,young and old .. this week alone ,3(separate) chinese buyers for the Chinese rental market came to look at our condo to sell..spoke no English .Pattaya north is the new China Town...im cool with that !

15 minutes ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I am sure that Chinese don't make up 80% of the visitors, so there must be another reason. Intelligence, or lack of it is the first thing that comes to mind. Not understanding the dangers, and swimming in dangerous places and times is most likely. Not sure what the Thai authorities can do about solving stupidity.

Perhaps they'll be able to talk to them on an equal level?

3 minutes ago, Captain_Bob said:

Repeat tales of those who ignore red warning beach flags and underestimate the power of the ocean suggests better education and awareness, or just big fat signs in Chinese saying "swim at your own risk - you have been warned ☠️☠️☠️

I thought 'big fat' was Chinese national anyway?

55 minutes ago, webfact said:

and he wants to see better care taken of his compatriots especially those swimming or doing water sports. 

How about improving the swimming ability of those who chose to partake in these activities. or ensuring they have sufficient nannies to look after them.

The Chinese embassy folks are calling for a comprehensive improvement of the most basic safety standards, something they believe are sadly lacking in Thailand. Bit of a loss of face for the Thais, I'd say. Foreigners coming in and telling them what to do.  Well, deservedly so. TVers have all been ranting about the same need for improvements for years, if not decades. Will the Thais do anything about the issues? If it costs money, nope. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

A high profile delegation of officials from the Chinese Embassy in Thailand went to Pattaya yesterday to request improved safety for their nationals. 

Nah, they came for the shrimp buffet.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

why Thais have to speak Chinese and not the other way around.... the colonization already started??

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

Like it or not ,the Chinese are in Pattaya and they love it here,i have spoke to dozens of Chinese ,young and old .. this week alone ,3(separate) chinese buyers for the Chinese rental market came to look at our condo to sell..spoke no English .Pattaya north is the new China Town...im cool with that !

so you spoke in chinese??? 这很酷

6 hours ago, mok199 said:

Spoken like a true Real Estate agent.

5 hours ago, Mavideol said:

why Thais have to speak Chinese and not the other way around.... the colonization already started??

You want tourists?Then you learn to speak their language.

Even the Thai muppets (and ThaiVisa dingbats)should be able to figure that one out after 40 years.

Oh oh now the Thais are defiantely going to improve their listening skills ( towards Chinese people ) They may even impose Thais to speak Chinese !

Otherwise no more Chinese money will materialise one thing for sure is that they’ve in common is no degree of manners, they should  get along pretty well as the Thais sway and bend every which way they can to suit the Chinese people..

The only problem is that there are more Chinese men that women coming over ????????‍♂️ 

Awful lot of Sinophobia on here.

No, the vast majority can't swim. When would you teach them? They're in Kindergarten from 4 years old, then straight into Elementary School at 6, and onto Middle School at 11. They're in school from 7.30am until 6pm with a big pile of homework to do. It gets worse in High School.

You may have noticed they don't learn Road Safety either. In my experience the Chinese have a major lack of two things. One is spacial awareness and the other is a sense of impending danger.

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

You want tourists?Then you learn to speak their language.

Even the Thai muppets (and ThaiVisa dingbats)should be able to figure that one out after 40 years.

have to disagree.... if tourists want to travel around the world they better learn an international language not the other way around but you have the right to your opinion. I personally traveled all around the world either business or tourism and I never expected the countries that I visited to speak my home country language (it's not English) it's the person that has or should adapt to the country and not the country to adapt to the person, so in case you got lost with my comment, your point was Thailand to learn how to speak Chinese and my point was and still is for Chinese to learn how to speak Thai or they should stay at home

8 hours ago, webfact said:

I don't think that 80% of all swimmers are Chinese, so what do these figures suggest?  That perhaps Chinese may not be the most proficient swimmers in the waters?  Perhaps a campaign in China should be implemented to teach beach-going Chinese tourists how to swim including defensive techniques such as simply staying afloat and treading water.  Maybe?  Just a thought.

14 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Awful lot of Sinophobia on here.

No, the vast majority can't swim. When would you teach them? They're in Kindergarten from 4 years old, then straight into Elementary School at 6, and onto Middle School at 11. They're in school from 7.30am until 6pm with a big pile of homework to do. It gets worse in High School.

You may have noticed they don't learn Road Safety either. In my experience the Chinese have a major lack of two things. One is spacial awareness and the other is a sense of impending danger.

Chinophobia (Sinophobia) ??? oh man... oh man, unfortunately they have a lack of so many other things, including but not restricted to,  respect for others, respect ones privacy, space and well being, respect silence, waiting lines and I could go on and on... agree with you about their hard scholarships and so forth but if they don't know how to drive don't rent a car, if they don' t know how to swim, simple, don't go to or near the water!!!!!!

Archived