Trump postponement is latest twist in changeable State of the Union

webfact

Trump postponement is latest twist in changeable State of the Union

By Amanda Becker

2019-01-24T220736Z_1_LYNXNPEF0N27C_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-SPEECH.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to reporters at a healthcare roundtable in the Roosevelt Room of the White House in Washington, U.S., January 23, 2019. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - This week's fight between U.S. President Donald Trump and House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi over his State of the Union speech was unusual - but the resulting postponement was not.

The presidential address is an annual rite in U.S. politics that often changes and has been delayed before, although the Trump-Pelosi spat may have led to the first postponement initiated by someone other than the president.

Trump said late on Wednesday that he would delay his address, which had been slated for Jan. 29. His announcement came after Pelosi disinvited him from appearing in the House, which she controls, suggesting he delay the speech until after a partial federal government shutdown has ended, or deliver it in writing.

Trump acknowledged it was Pelosi's "prerogative" to cancel and said he would wait.

Donna Hoffman, a political science professor at the University of Northern Iowa and an expert on State of the Union addresses, said the Trump-Pelosi spat was "unprecedented, but not a travesty" because the address's history is varied.

The U.S. Constitution says that presidents "shall from time to time give to the Congress information of the State of the Union." But the nation's supreme law spells out no more details.

President George Washington gave the first Annual Message to Congress in 1790, appearing before the legislature. President Thomas Jefferson stopped doing in-person addresses in 1801 and submitted his message in writing.

In 1913, President Woodrow Wilson revived the speech tradition and expanded its scope to include setting a policy agenda, according to a Congressional Research Service report.

President Lyndon Johnson in 1965 changed the time of his address from the traditional mid-afternoon to 9:00 p.m. EST in order to capture a prime-time television audience, the report said.

President Ronald Reagan delayed his 1986 speech until a month after the Jan. 28 Challenger space shuttle disaster, Hoffman said.

One unchanging aspect of the current arrangements, Hoffman said, is that "anytime the president wants to address a joint session (of Congress) ... the president must be invited because Congress is a separate and independent branch of government."

"Only tradition says he has to give one this year at all," Hoffman said of Trump. "But, the speech offers an opportunity for the president to be the centre of attention and to present his agenda, claim credit for accomplishments, and frame events in any way he chooses. That is a large opportunity."

Pelosi said Trump can give his speech once the partial government shutdown, in its 34th day on Thursday, ends. Trump wrote on Twitter on Wednesday that he looked forward to "giving a 'great' State of the Union Address in the near future!"

(Reporting by Amanda Becker; Editing by Kevin Drawbaugh and Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-25

Trump has obviously listened to his political advisers this time, rather than stupidly charging ahead as he normally does. He now knows he is not an engaging speaker one-on-one fireside style. In fact, he is wooden, non-unifying, and lacks empathy and charisma, and anyway only targets his message at 33% of Americans. He fails miserably on this one alone and knows it.

However, with full regalia as the big boss of the pageant of the Hall of Congress he is in his element with the televised show of support by Republicans and decorum of civility of opposition Democrats.

The showboat will wait and that is a smart decision. Finally.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, bristolboy said:

It's really not a decision since he had no say in the matter.

He could have called her cards, but decided to stand down. He could have gone to a different venue, or another medium at all, twitter e.g.

In stead he made a choice, and stood down, probably on advice from others. And I agree, it was a wise decision. Once in a blue moon he does make a good decision.

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

He could have called her cards, but decided to stand down. He could have gone to a different venue, or another medium at all, twitter e.g.

In stead he made a choice, and stood down, probably on advice from others. And I agree, it was a wise decision. Once in a blue moon he does make a good decision.

Or once in a blue moon, someone gives him good advice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

But currently he realizes Nancy is his boss now that she controls the house. So the nickname's stopped. Similar to Putin's influence over him, when he's in the weaker position, no nicknames. Cheers

Those names are weak anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Another totally false assertion, and easily provable. Let me guess, you read the Guardian article that claimed Trump was too scared to give Nancy a nickname? It was untrue, all of it.

As per Wikipedia Trump gave 3 nicknames to Nancy Pelosi.

High Tax, High Crime Nancy Pelosi

MS-13 Lover Nancy Pelosi

Nancy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nicknames_used_by_Donald_Trump

Now in light of her flitting off to Hawaii and the Caribbean during a government shutdown over the border emergency he should give her some name to remind the electorate of her appallingly selfish and uncaring behaviour. Air-miles Nancy or something similar?

This nickname giving by Trump has been another demonstration of his genius political acumen. It turned the entire Dem party into the cast of a 3 stooges movie, complete with boings, bells and whistles (as if any further ridicule was needed!!!!).

I seem to recall him referring to her as "Nasty Nancy" on many occasions.

• Like 2

Just now, bristolboy said:

Trying to get his approval rating to zero?

I'll be rooting for that but the truth is you can get 30 percent of Americans to support or believe any kind of silly garbage, so for the USA, 30 percent is equivalent to zero. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'll be rooting for that but the truth is you can get 30 percent of Americans to support or believe any kind of silly garbage, so for the USA, 30 percent is equivalent to zero. 

50% of Americans have an IQ less than the national average...

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I could be wrong about this, but in my life, I don't think U.S. presidents have typically referred to the House Speaker in their public/official comments solely by a first name. Sure, in private or in person. But when speaking publicly, I think usually more respect and formality has been shown.

I think, the normal way a president would talk in public would be to say "the Speaker" or "Speaker Pelosi."  I don't think prior presidents usually would have simply said "Nancy" or "Paul" in their formal/public speeches or statements.

I've taken it as yet another sign of Trump showing disrespect and contempt for his opponents, who in this case also happens to be a woman, which is his view puts her even a level lower than her male colleagues/predecessors.

Sure it's disrespectful but it isn't at the level of Cryin' Chuck or Lyin' Ted either. 

45 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Trying to get his approval rating to zero?

I’m coming to believe that McConnell has seen the dirt on Trump and wants rid of him before he distroys the GOP.

A direct assault might be more than McConnell wishes to risk, but blocking opposition to Trump’s Government shutdown might be a smart way to give Trump enough rope to hang himself.

McConnell is twisted, but he’s not stupid, he knows Trump

has backed himself into a corner and he knows Trump doesn’t have a way out.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
Added ‘enough’
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

This is how nonsensical your argument sounds.

Did you even read your own post? Row of Italian cypress trees, natural light, lovely view, begging neighbors, kidnapping children. All this on a thread about Nancy causing chaos by swanning off around the tropics and virtue signalling over a much needed wall. Of course I don't doubt for a second that Pelosi does not have walls and security around her own residence. One rule for me one for them....

Get a grip man.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Did you even read your own post? Row of Italian cypress trees, natural light, lovely view, begging neighbors, kidnapping children. All this on a thread about Nancy causing chaos by swanning off around the tropics and virtue signalling over a much needed wall. Of course I don't doubt for a second that Pelosi does not have walls and security around her own residence. One rule for me one for them....

Get a grip man.

"All this on a thread about Nancy causing chaos by swanning off around the tropics and virtue signalling over a much needed wall."

Maybe better post somewhere else.

This thread is about Trump being forced to abandon his State of the Union Address.

• Thanks 1