Changing from Work Permit to Retirement

Could somebody kindly outline the procedures for finishing job and changing Work Permit and visa (on extension) to Retirement.

This is for expat with dependent foreign spouse based on 800k in bank method.

Original WP and extensions of stay from 1-stop Chamchuri, Bkk.

Someone said to cancel work permit at One Stop and then go same day to Chaeng Wattana to change reason for Extension to retirement.  Heard elsewhere you have a few days after WP cancelled to make change.  Could it all be done in one go at Chamchuri?

Clear explanation of procedures, locations, timing, and documents much appreciated.

You would have to cancel your work permit and extension of stay at the one stop center and then apply for one based upon retirement at Chaeng Wattana immigration.

If would have to be done on the same day unless the one stop center post dated the extension cancelation to a later date.

When applying for the extension of stay based upon retirement you will need a letter from the bank confirming you account and copies of your updated bank book showing the 800k baht has been in the bank for 3 months on the day you apply for the extension.

You would need a completed TM7 form, copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry stamp, the cancellation stamp of your extension based upon working and TM6 departure card.

Your spouse will also need to apply for a new extension on the same day you apply for the new extension and show the cancelation stamp for her existing extension.

I did exactly as you plan to do OP, and I think what Ubonjoe wrote sums it up quite well.

The only comment I have is about cancelling the WP. I did that on the basis of a letter from my employer, before the expiration of my non-imm B extension and contract. I don't know what is your situation, but you might need that.

Edited by arithai12

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You would have to cancel your work permit and extension of stay at the one stop center and then apply for one based upon retirement at Chaeng Wattana immigration.

If would have to be done on the same day unless the one stop center post dated the extension cancelation to a later date.

When applying for the extension of stay based upon retirement you will need a letter from the bank confirming you account and copies of your updated bank book showing the 800k baht has been in the bank for 3 months on the day you apply for the extension.

You would need a completed TM7 form, copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry stamp, the cancellation stamp of your extension based upon working and TM6 departure card.

Your spouse will also need to apply for a new extension on the same day you apply for the new extension and show the cancelation stamp for her existing extension.

Thank you that is a very complete answer....was a bit surprised to hear it could not all be done at the "one stop" shop.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 2:41 PM, ubonjoe said:

They only do extensions related to working at the one stop center.

Ok thank you.

BTW, will any branch of the local bank provide a draft letter, or does it have to be your home branch?

Is there some name for this bank letter or a template to show them in case they do not speak English?

I heard someone say you need to make get an atm slip on the day you do this conversion as well to prove the funds are there and available on the day you apply?

12 minutes ago, leddie said:

Ok thank you.

BTW, will any branch of the local bank provide a draft letter, or does it have to be your home branch?

Is there some name for this bank letter or a template to show them in case they do not speak English?

I heard someone say you need to make get an atm slip on the day you do this conversion as well to prove the funds are there and available on the day you apply?

Any branch of your bank should be able to do the letter.

Most banks have branches on the ground floor of the building at where Chaeng Wattana immigration is located. They would certainly know what is needed.

On 2/12/2019 at 3:12 PM, ubonjoe said:

Any branch of your bank should be able to do the letter.

Most banks have branches on the ground floor of the building at where Chaeng Wattana immigration is located. They would certainly know what is needed.

Thanks for the info.  A couple of final questions.

Does the spouse also fill out the Tm7 card (any link to a printanble pdf of this appreciated)

Re. the bank letter, this will be requested from a branch where staff may not speak English. Just requesting, "letter for immigration" may cause confusion. What exactly is the letter called, what does the letter have to say, what date does it have to have?  Is a printed out statement from the bank website required?  Is balance information required for last 12 months or only 3? Apologies for the confusion and thanks for any additional information. 

22 hours ago, leddie said:

Thanks for the info.  A couple of final questions.

Does the spouse also fill out the Tm7 card (any link to a printanble pdf of this appreciated)

Re. the bank letter, this will be requested from a branch where staff may not speak English. Just requesting, "letter for immigration" may cause confusion. What exactly is the letter called, what does the letter have to say, what date does it have to have?  Is a printed out statement from the bank website required?  Is balance information required for last 12 months or only 3? Apologies for the confusion and thanks for any additional information. 

can anyone help on these questions?  Thank you.

23 hours ago, leddie said:

they will complete a TM7 form to apply for the extension. Download, complete and print two sided this. Fillable TM7 form.pdf

32 minutes ago, leddie said:

Re. the bank letter, this will be requested from a branch where staff may not speak English.

I would say most banks will know what is needed. Since you will be applying for the extension at Chaeng Wattana you could get the letter and update you bank book (no need for statement) on the same day you apply. Most banks have branches on the ground floor of the building where immigration is located.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

they will complete a TM7 form to apply for the extension. Download, complete and print two sided this. Fillable TM7 form.pdf

I would say most banks will know what is needed. Since you will be applying for the extension at Chaeng Wattana you could get the letter and update you bank book (no need for statement) on the same day you apply. Most banks have branches on the ground floor of the building where immigration is located.

Thank you I appreciate all the helpful information.  I know that banks at CW can help but as noted in OP have to cancel WP in morning at Chamchuri followed by trip to CW.  As time is short on the day itself, wondering if a bank letter from day before is acceptable.  The response after yours suggests a letter clarifying the balance for the last 3 months, rather than for the last 12 months.  I assume that is okay (based on 800k method).  Should I also download and print off my statements form bank for 12 months or is that not required?

Edited by leddie

37 minutes ago, leddie said:

Thank you I appreciate all the helpful information.  I know that banks at CW can help but as noted in OP have to cancel WP in morning at Chamchuri followed by trip to CW.  As time is short on the day itself, wondering if a bank letter from day before is acceptable.  The response after yours suggests a letter clarifying the balance for the last 3 months, rather than for the last 12 months.  I assume that is okay (based on 800k method).  Should I also download and print off my statements form bank for 12 months or is that not required?

Chaeng Wattana will accept a letter from the bank done the day before but they will want your bank book to be updated on the date you apply. You only need to show that the 800k baht has been in the bank for 3 months the date you apply for the extension.

The bank letter will only confirm your account is valid and the balance in the account on the date is done.