For better or worse? Expats think Thailand is going down the pan, poll

webfact

3 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

Worse in my opinion.

Bordering countries are wising up and seeing the potential.

Not wanting to come across as being negative, but to be honest, what is the attraction?

Noise?

Dogs?

Pollution?

Racism? Greed? 

Extortion?

Lawlessness?

Poor security and rights for foreigners?

Thai v's Foreigner over pricing?

Untidy?

Filthy?

Poor health and safety?

Some of the, if not, most dangerous roads in the world?

Expensive?

Costly visa rules and regulations? Poor employment regulations plus rights for foreigners?

Impoliteness?

Attitude?

Poor and costly health care, especially for and toward foreigners?

Dictatorship and so on...

What happened to the land of smiles? The caring, polite Thai?

No nation / country is perfect, but to claim Thailand the land of smiles and paradise is beyond me.

Not all is bad, but could some of the above be considered true? 

No wonder many expats are jumping or considering jumping ship.

If and when the tour groups dry up and the TRUE number of tourists visiting Thailand dwindles, even more so than it already has done, with far less expats residing in Thailand, the impact could be far greater on Thai nationals than it already is.

As Thai say, "up to you". I say "up to Thailand".

"Not all is bad, but could some of the above be considered true?"... Yes, SOME of it. Remember everyone has their own thoughts on the issues so many will disagree with your points but also many will agree. Difference of opinion is everywhere. 

"What happened to the land of smiles? The caring, polite Thai?".... There are many many of those.

"No wonder many expats are jumping or considering jumping ship.".... Maybe due to the new immigration and money transfer rules they don't meet. 

Lived here for the most part for 11 years, I travel to other countries.
Thailand for me is not exciting anymore. It has been over saturated with farang expats, and tourists for years now.
Other up coming countries are more exciting. If you want the Thailand of years ago go to Colombia, Southern Mexico, even places in Cambidia, Vietnam are nice and reflect Thailand of years gone by.
It is cheap here, but not worth it for the main stream expat!
The 800K seasoned is kinda silly, and reflects the governments wishes to weed out expats.
Thailand is not going to get any better for expats, only worse in the years to come. 

Personally I have never really seen any advantages to retiring here what so ever. You cannot own land, there fore never have complete security in retirement what so ever. You have a retirement extension only? So a hassle every year! Again no security in retirement. IMO Thailand is a nice place to play while younger. But, no one in there right mind that does research and actually travels would choose Thailand as a long term retirement home. You would have to be daft.  haha

Sigh. Colombia? Really?

Weeding out poor people and criminals is the point. There are too many deranged, aged expat bums in TH, so the government is trying to get rid of them. And the younger, roided-up, drug-running, yahoo Soi thugs/bar owner, "global nomad" types - just modernized criminals. Away they go, please.

Ideally immigration reforms leave TH with (i) retirees who can afford to care for their long-suffering Thai wives and families, (ii) snow birds who can afford the maintenance of their house in the off-season, (ii) short-stay tourists, (iii) working expats with a work visa, (iv) students and (v) Thai Elite visa types. We just don't need all the in-betweeners.

I am by no means saying Big Joke will achieve this, but it would not be bad if he did.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

Ideally immigration reforms leave TH with (i) retirees who can afford to care for their long-suffering Thai wives and families, (ii) snow birds who can afford the maintenance of their house in the off-season, (ii) short-stay tourists, (iii) working expats with a work visa, (iv) students and (v) Thai Elite visa types. We just don't need all the in-betweeners.

I agree that is exactly what Thailand wants... haha

Regards

I don't understand how you people do not have access to good bananas?

Are you living on an island? You just have to shop where the Thai families shop for food (not Robinsons).

Worst Bananas in the world as well, all the ones the EU won't have.
  • Like 2

Lived here for the most part for 11 years, I travel to other countries.
Thailand for me is not exciting anymore. It has been over saturated with farang expats, and tourists for years now.
Other up coming countries are more exciting. If you want the Thailand of years ago go to Colombia, Southern Mexico, even places in Cambidia, Vietnam are nice and reflect Thailand of years gone by.
It is cheap here, but not worth it for the main stream expat!
The 800K seasoned is kinda silly, and reflects the governments wishes to weed out expats.
Thailand is not going to get any better for expats, only worse in the years to come. 

Personally I have never really seen any advantages to retiring here what so ever. You cannot own land, there fore never have complete security in retirement what so ever. You have a retirement extension only? So a hassle every year! Again no security in retirement. IMO Thailand is a nice place to play while younger. But, no one in there right mind that does research and actually travels would choose Thailand as a long term retirement home. You would have to be daft.  haha

Just out of curiosity, what would it cost for a Thai national to retire in your home country?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, garyk said:

I agree 100%, I would of bought 2-5 rai here and built a very nice home for my retirement years ago if I could legally. It is against the law. Other countries realize this, and offer much better value no doubt about it what so ever.  

Thailand is not a friendly retirement country IMO, fun in the sun yes. 

Regards

"Thailand is not a friendly retirement country IMO". Yes, many would agree with you and many would not. It all depends what you want in retirement. I think from reading many posts on this board the happiest farangs are the ones fortunate enough to find a great Thai partner/wife and have been very happy for many years. Many also haven't found this thus the difference of opinions and OH what strong opinions both ways. :-) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

"Thailand is not a friendly retirement country IMO". Yes, many would agree with you and many would not. It all depends what you want in retirement. I think from reading many posts on this board the happiest farangs are the ones fortunate enough to find a great Thai partner/wife and have been very happy for many years. Many also haven't found this thus the difference of opinions and OH what strong opinions both ways. ????

Yea I agree. I am lucky for find a good lady here for years. But, it still doesn't address the problem of retirement destination. I have met so many guy that when the relationship goes bad for what ever reason has lost it ALL, millions and millions of baht. It is like gambling some win but the odds are against you from the start.

It is not something I want as I age, others have no problem with It I know.

Regards

Edited by garyk
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Come on you lot, tell the truth.

Thailand has gone full circle, and proved it's only good for one thing

and one thing only.

Hide the sausage along with a Grimsby breakfast. 

and its dose it very well,  good job Thailand. :licklips:

"Hide the sausage"..... I hope it's a link and not a patty. Better yet I hope it's not hidden in your Grimsby breakfast. Just be careful if you asked for extra cheese with that breakfast. ????

Edited by HuskerDo

1 hour ago, SuperTed said:

being an "in-betweener" i should disagree. but i'll agree if Big J. let's me and my wife stay till they carry me out of our home feet first. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

There are plenty of poor countries and plenty of Buddhist countries but no country has ever been so utterly willing to sell out there daughters to pay for their lifestyle.

anybody ever told you "that's none of your business!" :coffee1:

7 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

Totally agree. This really is the one thing they are good at and they are very very good at it.

Pound for pound Thailand is probably better then any other country in the world for their chosen area of expertise.

So for example what I mean is Thailand is much better at Prostitution then Germany is at Engineering. Thailand is much better at Prostitution than Japan is at bullet trains. Pound for pound or like for like they truly are the very best and what they have chosen to do well and offer as the countries main selling point.

There are plenty of poor countries and plenty of Buddhist countries but no country has ever been so utterly willing to sell out there daughters to pay for their lifestyle.

I do think thats just the sort of people that you mix with .

Are you one of these Westerners that came to Thailand for prostitution and now think that all females are avaiable for hire , just because all the girl in bars that you frequent are avialble for a fee ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Naam said:

please enlighten me why it can take a lot of money to move back. all it takes is a ticket, a few days in a hotel/AirBnB and a couple of months rent. please consider my question a rhetorical one if the cost for a ticket, hotel and rent is "a lot of money".

Really? So you can just turn up in the U.K or Australia or wherever with your Children and Thai wife with no visa? And to the visa do you just rock up to immigration and apply or do you need a job money house etc etc first? Moving furniture etc?

We are talking of relocating a family here not a single guy...not sure if your intellect can stretch that far to absorb the points of the conversation.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Then you would need to define 'the best chance in life'.

And my son will never have his 'best chance' in the tyrannical gynocracy that is the west. 

I want him to be happy, have his own house, an attractive wife that will love him and not divorce rape him, and children.

As such his best chance is in Thailand as a bilingual English/Thai speaker.

There's nobody speaking Thai in my household, so he needs to go to a 100% Thai speaking school.

I've always found the 'big city' Thai government schools to be fairly reasonable, the rural schools are a disaster.

As my current daughter is 20 and at university now, I've just agreed to take in a new Thai daughter, 8 years old, she'll be a nice companion for my 7 year old son.

So it sounds then as if they are adopted Thai children?

Admirable indeed and understandable then why they would be in a Thai school. Giving them a loving and caring environment is already a huge benefit in their lives, spending $60K a year in education and or moving back to home country is maybe much more than needs to be done.

55 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do think thats just the sort of people that you mix with .

Are you one of these Westerners that came to Thailand for prostitution and now think that all females are avaiable for hire , just because all the girl in bars that you frequent are avialble for a fee ?

In what way is my statement incorrect? What parts of the statement are not true?

I said Thailand is good at Prostitution...I did not say all Thai women here are prostitutes.

3 hours ago, Naam said:

uncivilised² indeed! in Thailand i miss the joy of several days hard work to prepare my annual income tax return. it gets extremely boring buying or selling a financial asset without a couple of hours (sometimes many more) research what future tax implications that buy or sell order has. also uncivilised are/is:

-the low prices for gasoline, diesel and LPG.

-the ridiculous low cost for vehicle insurance, road tax and repairs.

-VAT of only 7% on goods and services. a civilised taxman levies 20% and more.

-the uncivilised low salaries for gardeners, cooks, maids and other domestic staff. even if paying top salaries and providing extended perks a civilised domestic employee is 3-4 times the cost.

-the uncivilised low cost for health care. not only in government but also in private hospitals.

and last not least

-the uncivilised weather without hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, icy roads and foggy days near freezing point. a tsunami once in a blue moon does not add civilisation!

Yes, i understand. I'm glad you didn't directly compare the 'civilised' life in Europe with the 'civilised' life in TL though, they don't really compare very well in my experience, but on balance, I don't think I'd be going back to Europe any time soon. Each to his/her own. Though I don't recall seeing any tornadoes in UK. Not recently anyway.

30 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

In what way is my statement incorrect? What parts of the statement are not true?

I said Thailand is good at Prostitution...I did not say all Thai women here are prostitutes.

Interesting though that you compared Thailand with Germany and Japan, both famed for their prostitutes.

Ever heard of FKK clubs in Germany? Or Japanese "Soaplands"?

A couple of facts for you:

Thailand: 22 prostitutes per 10,000 population.

Germany: 37 prostitutes per 10,000 population.

USA: 31 prostitutes per 10,000 population.

Latvia: 150 prostitutes per 10,000 population. 

Thailand number one in the world? Not even close. Easily beaten by the USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_statistics_by_country

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Guzzi - How is the quality of the steak you buy in Thailand (via NZ and/or Australia)?

I like Kobe beef vs NZ or Australia although both countries raise Wagyu cattle.  Having said that I don't care for grass fed beef.  It is simple enough to buy imported beef in Thailand.  After I pay the rent I have thousands upon thousands of baht left over so relatively speaking the imported beef is not expensive. 

39 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Yes, i understand. I'm glad you didn't directly compare the 'civilised' life in Europe with the 'civilised' life in TL though, they don't really compare very well in my experience, but on balance, I don't think I'd be going back to Europe any time soon. Each to his/her own. Though I don't recall seeing any tornadoes in UK. Not recently anyway.

What are the benefits of civilized life?

nuts.png

12 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Interesting though that you compared Thailand with Germany and Japan, both famed for their prostitutes.

Just an observation.  bowerboy said nothing about the numbers of prostitutes in Thailand.  Just said Thailand is good at prostitution.  

On 1/25/2019 at 12:52 PM, Thaidream said:

The Immigration conundrum- After 40 years married to a Thai- I still have to get together all my yearly paperwork and head to Immigration in the hopes they will let me stay one more year.  My wife's US Permanent Residency took less than 60 days to obtain; gave her unlimited access to the US forever and no 90 day reporting.  No such reciprocity in Thailand. I can't even apply for PR in Thailand due to not working in Thailand for at least a decade and no current tax payments.

Totally agree with that.  I also find is disheartening that after being in a country for so long and married, that you must still do the annual extension with exactly the same paper work,  photos etc.  I actually take the same photos each year in exactly the same spots.  I did one year try to use the previous years photos to see what would happen.  I think it would have passed if not for my wife having a bandage on her head,  but not in the photo.. Haha. Anyway I have exited Thailand,  temporarily,  although I am considering not going back for this and other reasons you mention.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Wow...what a way to spend a Sunday morning!! Looking up the per capita Prostitues globally!!

I was referring to quality of service, ease of access and price, not quantity.

Sorry your misunderstanding led to you spending the morning doing research on global prostitution and thanks anyway for the valuable information.

• Haha 1