For better or worse? Expats think Thailand is going down the pan, poll

webfact

5 hours ago, dyertribe said:

I'm seriously looking at Cambodia as an option for my retirement where, up until now, it has always been Thailand.

For years has Cambodia been mentioned as an alternative to Thailand, but it has never really happened - why?

Ask those who have tried and returned back to Thailand after a short period instead of doing the same mistake ....

On the other hand, it could be an idea for the Thai haters to try Cambodia for a while just to get the understanding of how much better Thailand actually is... :thumbsup:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

If you regularly read Thai Visa you would assume 90% of farang/Thai marriages were disasters and every Thai hated every farang and yet day to day experience "on the ground " seems quite different.

I would agree with the marriages, but only the Thai officials and tourist touts seem to hate white guys.

If your experiences are different, you probably can't speak and understand Thai.

Last week,

Leaving Thailand at AranyaPrathet and entering I certainly got the impression the immigration officers hated me, even though I had a perfectly good VISA, they clearly were looking for trouble. 15 minutes examining my passport pages on the way out (Dude, you only need to look at my last entry stamp and completed exit paper), and 10 minutes of questioning on my way in (Dude, you only need to look at my current VISA, and entry paper) <deleted> do they think they're up to?

Why did you leave Thailand? 90 day VISA entry expired.

Why are you entering Thailand? VISA says to look after my children.

How long are you staying in Thailand? VISA says up to 90 days.

Where are you going after 90 days? Out of Thailand.

Where will you go when you leave? Not here again.

When are you returning after that? Not your business.

You can't make this stuff up.

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Most of the complainers are doing Thailand wrong.

You need to adapt to Thailand not the other way round.

Personally I have been 30 years here so I went through all the different phases of discontent and homesickness long ago before I settled.

If you can't change yourself to the country you have chosen as home, you will never be happy.

That's true. However going the way of somchai would require a lobotomy so no, not going that way. 

56 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

I think we would all feel differently if most of our our currrencies hadn't gone south compared with the Thai baht which must be being propped up.

The country is barely out of leaving the third world.Political unrest,slower growth than predicted,exports more expensive for other countries ,nothing makes sense.

Bingo...

3 hours ago, yogi100 said:

"generally welcoming approach to paedophiles that SE Asia has in general,"

I've been visiting Pattaya which is considered SE Asia's answer to Sodom and Gomorrah for over 30 years and have never heard of any instances of paedophilia let alone any welcoming approach to those who partake in it.

Don't you think you're treading on thin ice here. Making such insinuations do not go down very well and could possibly land you in a whole heap of trouble. 

'You've never heard of any instances of paedophilia in Pattaya'????     You obviously don't read any local media or listen to any news!!    I really find that impossible to believe!!

2 minutes ago, Shadychris said:

It's all rather subjective... You have chosen to pick a single case of 500% increase in entry fee charged to foreigners to fishing parks.  It's not the case that everything has gone up by 500%! 

I take you point about the crap state of the GBP £ - but that will affect your worth in any overseas country. I still find many things to be much cheaper in Thailand than they are in the UK - even taking into account the piss poor exchange rate. Utility bills, fuel, local produce, clothing, etc etc. But if you want to live like a westerner in Thailand and shop only in 'supermarkets' like Tesco, living on western brand products then yes you will pay through the nose for it. That has always been the case.

Personally I think that if someone chooses to emigrate to another country then, as you say it should not all be about money. For me there are many many more important factors concerning my quality of life than whether its cheaper or more expensive to live in my country of origin.

Of course some things will be cheaper. My point is, if you want to live in Thailand and like to spend your time fishing, for example, then this is no longer value for money and has no relation to a Thai person's income. Okay, you carry on going then the prices go up and up and up. There has to be a point where we have to say enough is enough. It's a shame where doing what we enjoy becomes unaffordable due to Thai mentality. If you want to sit indoors all day or spend your time at a 50 baht beer bar then good luck. I was recently chatting to a guy at the money exchange in Pattaya. He said his beer only cost him £1.30 and was well chuffed. I said you have to remember it cost you £1000 to buy that first cheap beer. "Oh yeah, I hadn't thought of that".

1 hour ago, connda said:

If I compare my life and expenses in my village as opposed to living in the US state where I still vote and maintain my residency - well, there is no comparison.  Life in Thailand allows me to live very well on a fix income and modest retirement savings.  If I returned to the US?  Just as a comparison, the new 1 bedroom apartment I rented in 2007 that cost $550 a month is now $1000.  Now is that reflected in the US inflation index and adjustments to Social Security?  <laughs and laughs and laughs>  So Ok!  The price of a cup of ice cream from an ice cream vendor on the streets of Chiang Mai increased from 10 THB to 20 THB.  Do I think that Thais should increase prices fractionally like from 10 to 12 THB or 10 to 15 THB?  Of course.  Is it going to break me?  <laughs and laughs and laughs>  I don't know about ya'll who live within the farang communities in Pattaya, Phuket, Bangkok, and Chiang Mai and shop upscale.   But here in rural Thailand?  Life is beyond good.  Life is wonderful. 
I hope the Thai government doesn't go out of their way to screw that up.  That's my only real fear.

Good point. Where I used to live in Los Angeles, a two bedroom apartment, or small house in West LA, Santa Monica, or a comparably decent area is now $3,000 to $4,000 a month. That is 100,000 to 130,000 baht a month! It is insanity. A cell phone account, with the same data as the one I have here that cost me $25 a month, is $135 a month. A modest lunch is $30. The same seat that I had redone on my scooter for $13, is $275 in Los Angeles. A visit to my house from an AC guy, to clean my AC unit is $16 here. $125 minimum in the US. A visit from a plumber here is $15. In the US, $150. A visit to the emergency room is $2,200. For a 40 minute visit. Here it is well under $100. The prices are insane. And even more insane is the nonsense they are feeding us about 3% inflation. More like 15%. Or higher. Every time I go back the prices have shot up. On nearly everything. I do not know how the average person is surviving there, and can see why the middle class is shrinking to such an alarming degree. 

Granted, there are some things like good wine that are far cheaper. But, most things here are alot more reasonable. Especially anything connected to labor. 

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Went there last week, everything was incredibly cheap (compared to Thailand).

I'd be gone if I didn't have children in Thailand

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Went there last week, everything was incredibly cheap (compared to Thailand).

I'd be gone if I didn't have children in Thailand.

If they introduce compulsory health insurance at 15k a month I will also be leaving for Cambodia kids or no. Kids

I will Go take a look soon just incase. 

Pm me on the cost of living if you can

4 minutes ago, Greenhill said:

'You've never heard of any instances of paedophilia in Pattaya'????     You obviously don't read any local media or listen to any news!!    I really find that impossible to believe!!

Think it's more of a church thing now days.

Usa, Uk, Ireland, Oz :shock1:

Nobody here is asking what the Thais want for their own country. Many are boasting how they came here xx years ago and are here for the girls and the beer. If you ask the Thais, they want the 'good guys in, the bad guys out' - and are acting accordingly. So yes, life is getting harder for the 'bad guys'. I think the Thais put 'poor but ok farang' into that 'bad guy' category as well, although to my thinking they should let them stay and only throw out the creepy ones.

For us the issue has become the environment and cost of living.  The beaches around the major islands and coast are clogged with Plastic, Bangkok is now un-breathable.  I realise we can move to an Island but there are other issues with that.  More and more the home country is looking attractive.  Clean food, free education and health care, tolerant society.  If I want to go for a bike ride I just hop on and start riding.  Added to these issues the population is aging and has lost its vibrancy.  The country is run by an aging and out of touch oligarchy and there is little innovation.  Our time is nearly at an end Thailand - RIP!

Just now, Jimbo2014 said:

For us the issue has become the environment and cost of living.  The beaches around the major islands and coast are clogged with Plastic, Bangkok is now un-breathable.  I realise we can move to an Island but there are other issues with that.  More and more the home country is looking attractive.  Clean food, free education and health care, tolerant society.  If I want to go for a bike ride I just hop on and start riding.  Added to these issues the population is aging and has lost its vibrancy.  The country is run by an aging and out of touch oligarchy and there is little innovation.  Our time is nearly at an end Thailand - RIP!

Depends on where the beloved Fatherland is. I think for many western European, home feels more like Africa or the Middle East nowadays. Luckily my country is one of those who still have a tolerant but not ethnically changed society, so I completely agree with your thinking. So easy back home.

10 minutes ago, Greenhill said:

I imagine what we have here is a failure to communicate.  Pedophilia involves people who have not reached puberty not everyone who you think is too old for a guy with more money than you.  

used to be meet more interesting before the internet and the ATM machines enabled an influx of boring and uninteresting people.  the real travelers have left.  now we have Chinese junkets and young digital nomads who depend on their smart phones to survive.   would love to drop them in some remote part Nepal and see how they would fare.  blame it on globalization. Thailand used to be a adventure full of people with great knowledge and a good story to tell

2 minutes ago, somtumwrong said:

Depends on where the beloved Fatherland is. I think for many western European, home feels more like Africa or the Middle East nowadays. Luckily my country is one of those who still have a tolerant but not ethnically changed society, so I completely agree with your thinking. So easy back home.

Australia - After approximately 20 years here I look at friends pictures from the gold coast and wow - then I look out our house window in Bangkok and its grey.  The excessive plastic problem is perhaps the most depressing change that has occurred here and all along Asia. They really need to wake up - Im ok with the prices and such - I like thai people.  But the beaches are just trashed, the cities unlivable, the only options for us would be rural north - Chaing Rai or some remote beach but we really dont want to go that far.  My wife is Thai and shes fed up - we are strongly thinking about moving either remotely in Thailand or back home :).

6 hours ago, dyertribe said:

I'm seriously looking at Cambodia as an option for my retirement where, up until now, it has always been Thailand.

Problem is, the Asian alternatives are either very much third world in technology, services (hospitals, doctors who know something about medicine etc) and infrastructure, at least 30 years behind in development generally, unstable politically,  or, in the case of Singapore and Hong Kong, too expensive.  A long hard and practical look at alternatives in this part of the world usually brings you back to Thailand ( with the possible exception of Panang) as the only logical location, albeit with lots of issues.  I've done that thinking process and I'm left with here. 

1 minute ago, Greenhill said:

The fact that you find that impossible to believe does not alter the fact that for over 30 years in which I've been visiting Pattaya I have never heard of any instances of paedophilia let alone any welcoming approach made to those that indulge in it.

I'm a holiday maker and reading the local media, being interested in Thai politics or listening to local news is rather low on my list of priorities. Neither have I noticed it mentioned on this forum, I've read of drug abuse, robbery, murder, fraud, assault and scams but never paedophilia. 

As you are better informed than myself perhaps you could show me some examples of the details of where and when this perversion occurred and who was responsible.

5 hours ago, Bullie said:

Portugal, close to Coimbra. Nice freestanding house, 1500 m2 land with fruit trees, vines, some timber and private spring for a little less than 38,000 Euro's. Landtaxes less than 100 Euro's per year, cost of living 20 % lower than Thailand. Pleasant climate, 1 hours drive to the ocean. Excellent seafood and vegetables I am not scared of eating. (I am very careful in Thailand due to the pesticides and poison).

Thailand can't beat that.

Enjoy mate,i dont blame you,

5 hours ago, happy chappie said:

90% of posters will still be stuck here with a property trying to make ends meet dreaming of getting out.ive got a friend who's currently trying to sell his house for 1/2 price with very little interest.

50% of posters on here will have died from old age in 5 years!!

9 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Australia - After approximately 20 years here I look at friends pictures from the gold coast and wow - then I look out our house window in Bangkok and its grey.  The excessive plastic problem is perhaps the most depressing change that has occurred here and all along Asia. They really need to wake up - Im ok with the prices and such - I like thai people.  But the beaches are just trashed, the cities unlivable, the only options for us would be rural north - Chaing Rai or some remote beach but we really dont want to go that far.  My wife is Thai and shes fed up - we are strongly thinking about moving either remotely in Thailand or back home :).

If you can afford it, try living here the winter and in Aus in the summer, although the Aus way of thinking may differ in this from our northern European way of thinking. 4 months of sanity in a year + 8 months of hmm plastic paradise a year ????

13 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

We live in the countryside, just north of Ban Chang in Rayong Province.  So far it seems to have escaped the worst of the tourists and environmental impacts and is still largely rural, with clean (ish) beaches within easy reach. It will change I guess, but for now, it beats the UK for quality of living

Frankly it's very difficult to complain.

I came here 5 years ago.

The more I live here and the more I get use to life here.

Everybody seem complain about visa difficulties. My visa is due march 1th. I went to canadian embassy, they gave me the affidavit easily. In 2 weeks I'll go to soi 5 immigration in Jomtien. And I don't expect other than a fast transaction with smile and seriousness (like thai officials can do, if you smile too).

BUT, if you're the guy that flew his country because everything was awfull. Don't expect any changes here. Corruption or lack off won't change yor opinion. As you're the same <deleted> that you were when you left.

And I don't hang aroung people like those.

Maybe that's why I have a positive and realistic view of this country.

AND, I expect that the more I'll get used to life here and the more I'll be happy (if it's possible to be more than I am now).

If only thai authorities could put the complainers in the overstay category. I would be happier.

Bug off!

Thanks for the opportunity of expressing my opinion. Usually I read and say nothing.

Alain

P.S.: Sorry for the bad quality of my written english. C'est la vie!

5 hours ago, Bullie said:

Portugal, close to Coimbra.

Thailand can't beat that.

I just did a quick search for property near Coimbra on Zoopla (UK). Prices were higher than Thailand !  Can you give me a link to the sort of house that you are buying ?

Thailand is becoming too dangerous .....  

Sounds like lot of cheap charlies here,

Maybe they not have the funds in the first place to live here 

Yes many things have gone up  but thats life.

Buts its a lot cheaper to live here then in Australia,

If you buy condo with 25 year visa would been best way for most 

I still have 18 years to go 

Archived