Bank Book Updated and Letter, or just the bank book

I apologise if this is a stupid question, but I am a little confused.  For an new extension of stay, using 800K in the bank, do I need just my updated bank account book, showing the required amount for the required 90 days, or do I need that, plus a letter confirming what the book is showing.

Sorry again if this is obvious or covered elsewhere. 

A letter from the bank which actually usually just confirms that it is your account and what the balance was that day, plus copies of recently updated bank book covering last 3 months showing a balance over 800k for that time. I always take original bankbook too!

Beware of not updating passbook regularly as a composite entry will go into the passbook which will not confirm 800k was maintained.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Beware of not updating passbook regularly as a composite entry will go into the passbook which will not confirm 800k was maintained.

I'm with Bangkok bank and have a concern about this for showing 65k/ month deposit over 12 months. Any idea how often it needs to be updated?

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I'm with Bangkok bank and have a concern about this for showing 65k/ month deposit over 12 months. Any idea how often it needs to be updated?

Can't be sure but in your case I would just do it monthly! 

In my case I do it 3 months before renewal and on the renewal day and that 3 months seems OK... BUT, might depend on how many transactions!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

To be safe I would update it every month to be sure you have the transfers showing in your bank book. You supposedly can get a one year statement that will show them as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

But one thing which it is impossible to guard against happening is where a number of transactions are subsequently overprinted in the passbook, thanks to the previous updating exercise being performed on a machine whose printing ribbon needed changing at that time, as illustrated in the attached example below.

In the event of such a situation arising - as well as where individual transactions are omitted through irregular passbook updating - the answer, in @Pilotman's case, would be to obtain a 6-month statement at the same time as his bank letter (for an extra 100 THB if his account is with Bangkok Bank).

Passbook overprinting example.pdf

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

A bit of a guess: I update mine after about ten transactions. Once or twice, I have gone as high as 15 (?), only to find that some of the oldest ones were lopped off. The length of the time period might also be a factor, I don't know.

If you are depending on that account to get your extension, don't take a chance.

Term deposit accounts do not have this problem, provided you update your bankbook at each maturity.

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Is it possible to update my account book at any branch of my bank, or only at my branch.  Also , can I only get the letter at my branch or at any branch of that bank? 

Most banks will allow you to do both at any branch.

• Thanks 1

My experience: 

I went first with Bangkok Bank or SCB. Both good banks without doubt, but they don't understand you and if your local branch is small it's quite a fight to get the right papers if you don't speak Thai. Again just my experience ????

Changed to Citibank only for the purpose of this visa stuff and to keep that money on a bank account. In Asoke they super friendly, great english and they know what you need. You write them an email 1 week before you need your paper stuff for the immigration.  On the day you want to renew your visa you go there in the early morning, take 100 thb from the ATM.  Then you update your bank book, get the 12 month bank statement and a written and signed letter from Citibank that you are their customer and so on in Thai language.

So if you in Bangkok I can recommend them. Was searching for a western thinking bank, which employees speak well english for quite a while ???? 

(They also don't charge any fees my balance never changes over the year +  you get monthly statements via email in pdf format)

11 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Belt & braces, print statements monthly via your Online banking if you have it.

I believe mine can only go back 6 months, but I can specify the range of the statement and hence dong it less frequently should be easy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, burner2014 said:

They also don't charge any fees my balance never changes over the year +  you get monthly statements via email in pdf format)

Statements in PDF format, now that I would like. I Recently found my October FCD Statement under a washing basket ????! I have to scan the paper copies anyway.

No intention of hijacking the tread but I allow me to ask (I know its asked before) what account should I open at Bangkok Bank which best are fit to use for Immigration and the 800K requirement? I already have a savings account with Bangkok Bank which I transfer to from overseas monthly but personally I look at that account as in/out account with any kind of transactions from withdrawing here to online shopping, and even use it abroad sometimes. Isn't there an preferred account which Immigration accept and where 800K can be deposited and saved. Full stop. Btw, do the 800K have to come from abroad?

Thanks

Felt. 

6 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

No intention of hijacking the tread but I allow me to ask (I know its asked before) what account should I open at Bangkok Bank which best are fit to use for Immigration and the 800K requirement? I already have a savings account with Bangkok Bank which I transfer to from overseas monthly but personally I look at that account as in/out account with any kind of transactions from withdrawing here to online shopping, and even use it abroad sometimes. Isn't there an preferred account which Immigration accept and where 800K can be deposited and saved. Full stop. Btw, do the 800K have to come from abroad?

Thanks

Felt. 

That account would be fine. The account must be with a Thai bank, in your sole name,  and accessible at any time. As such a fixed deposit, or even a foreign currency deposit account would work. Having a passbook helps, ie not a current account, they seem to like to see the copies of it! No need to prove 800k came from overseas.

Edited by jacko45k

45 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Thanks

Felt. 

It can be any standard savings account. It can also be in a fixed deposit account as long as the funds can be withdrawn without delay and without any penalty other than loss of interest.

There is no requirement for proof the money came from abroad to apply for an extension.

On 1/26/2019 at 9:56 AM, hackjam said:

What is the requirement for a retirement visa, 400K or 800K, if one is married to a Thai?

That is a trick-question in a couple ways - though not saying you intended it as such. 

If applying in Thailand, you would be applying for an "extension of stay".  A "visa" could only be obtained at a Thai consulate abroad.

If married to a Thai, and over 50 years of age, you have 2 choices for extension types:

• Retirement - easier process, but 800K in the bank seasoned for 3 months (2 months the first time).  You get your extension the same or next day, in most cases.
  • Family by Marriage to a Thai - more difficult process with a 1 (sometimes 2) month under-consideration process after applying, but only 400K in the bank seasoned 2 months before applying.  At some offices you may need to leave the money in the bank during the "under consideration" period.

I would advise to read this thread if you could do either extension, and trying to make up your mind:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1080825-pros-and-cons-of-marriage-extension-vs-retirement-extension/

Edited by JackThompson

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It can be any standard savings account. It can also be in a fixed deposit account as long as the funds can be withdrawn without delay and without any penalty other than loss of interest.

There is no requirement for proof the money came from abroad to apply for an extension.

Maybe a different answer to get from branch to branch but I asked today at my branch at Bangkok Bank which recommended a fixed account until I told them the purpose of the 800K and at least the fixed account they recommended me would not function do to not be touchable first 9 months and thereafter needed a family member or person I in advance have given a POA to withdraw from the account in case I am unable to do it myself due to illness, etc.. 

4 minutes ago, nasa123 said:

" Ubonjoe" If one have the statement from like Norwegians Ambassade you have pensjon every month, must this person show money in the Thai bank every month.

No you do not. The proof of income from an an embassy is still accepted.

On 1/26/2019 at 10:33 AM, allane said:

For an extension of stay for retirement it is B 800,000; for an extension of stay for marriage, it is B 400,000.

It should have been the other way 1-person (400K) costs less then 2 people.(800K)

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Somebody needs to show them the amendment to the police order that was sent out to all offices last month.

They got it from more than one customers, but this Office are running their own rules as always. They have something and learn from 7/11 where the same laws and rules in all the stores.

3 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Maybe a different answer to get from branch to branch but I asked today at my branch at Bangkok Bank which recommended a fixed account until I told them the purpose of the 800K and at least the fixed account they recommended me would not function do to not be touchable first 9 months and thereafter needed a family member or person I in advance have given a POA to withdraw from the account in case I am unable to do it myself due to illness, etc.. 

Bangkok Bank fixed accounts are fully touchable...can withdraw the funds at any time "however" you will lose all or most of the interest if withdrawing before maturity.  I use to use Bangkok Bank "fixed" savings accounts for my annual retirement extension of stay. 

Yes, since the account is in your name only, for some one else to withdraw funds from the account in case you can't you must do the POA thing at the bank....I also did that on my fixed accounts with the wife being able to withdraw if I couldn't. 

But with savings interest rates dropping way down starting a few years ago and since fixed account savings accounts result in a 15% tax withholding on any interest earned which requires you to file for a tax refund request each year to get that 15% withholding back (which is not hard), I stopped using fixed accounts. 

Now I use a Krungsri Mee Tae Dai (MTD) savings account for my Bt800K for retirement extension of stay/emergency money purposes.  MTD pays almost the same as  many fixed accounts (MTd pays 1.3% right now), comes with debit card, has ibanking, funds are accessible at any time, and no 15% tax withholding unless exceeding Bt20,000 interest earned per year.  It's basically a regular savings account that pays approx 3 times the interest rate of a regular savings account.   It's really geared towards folks who don't need/want to access the funds multiple times per month....you can if you want to....no problem...but after two fee-free withdrawals per month subsequent withdrawals for that month will incur a Bt50 fee.

• Thanks 1