The Top 10 types of expat in Thailand (2019)

rooster59

The Top 10 types of expat in Thailand (2019)

Crowd30957122e_2x.jpg

Being an expat in Thailand you’ll go through plenty of phases – from excitement, to astonishment, to bewilderment, to acceptance – it’s all an exciting journey, and will rarely go to plan. But that’s why so many of us love living in Thailand. There are some particular sub-sets of Thai expat we can spot a mile away. Far from type-casting a typical expat, we provide these sub-sets as a guide – there are plenty of other varieties of  expats floating around Thailand.

We should also mention that in 2019 there’s a much broader range of expats living in Thailand. Contrary to popular wisdom (the internet chat rooms), the numbers of expats are growing every year and they are coming from just about everywhere, not just the UK, northern Europe, Australia and the US, as in the past.

1. The search of a wife

Finding looking for love in the West daunting? Or had a few failed marriages? Head to Asia and find a wife there instead. Right?!

Read more

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-01-26

11.    The Thaiophile

Westerners who are addicted to being in Thailand. 
The entire focus of their life revolves around all things Thai, and they do everything they can to avoid going back to their native country, due to miserable memories of failure. In Thailand they feel like somebody for the first time in their life. They get noticed, can afford things that the locals can't so feel successful, and can get a girlfriend who weighs less than they do for the first time ever. Losers instantly become winners.

Urban Dictionary.

9. The serial complainer

Nothing, absolutely nothing, will ever be as good in Thailand compared to where they come from. They will find fault in everything from the traffic to the food to the government to the medical system to the culture to the visa system to the corruption to the heat to the roads to the culture to the girls.

Surprise. Thailand is a foreign country with a rich, frequently bewildering culture. The longer you spend here, the less it all makes sense. But that’s part of the glorious adventure of living in Thailand. Whilst many expats revel in the wonders and excesses of Thai life, some just wallow in their own self-righteousness.

Many of these haters and complainers have never been to Thailand but are happy to share their wisdom, often, in chat rooms and social media. Blah, blah, blah.

Worse, there are plenty of haters living amongst us who bore us sideways with their whinging and complaining. They can be directed to the nearest international airport where they are invited to escape the country they so despise and return to their homeland or just go somewhere else, anywhere really.

This type seems to be over presented here among the retired expats. 

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

"9. The serial complainer"

I would have thought this refers more to TV members than actual expats in general !

I have had the misfortune to encounter people like this for real. On the forum here its ok but when you meet them for real its far worse. Most of the time these people were not happy with their own life and needed to look down on others to feel good about themselves. 

We are not talking about some complaints.. that is normal.. but really everything. IF you hate it so much..why torture yourself and stay here.

When i first came ,i was just a serial ,bar hopper ,then i got into business ,met my wife through it, now all those years later,i live pretty much the same life i did when we lived in the UK ,shopping ,garden ,etc , just do it in a nice climate and not surrounded by the scum from all over the world ,that used to live in my old home town in England .????

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:
11.    The Thaiophile

The entire focus of their life revolves around all things Thai, and they do everything they can to avoid going back to their native country, due to miserable memories of failure. In Thailand they feel like somebody for the first time in their life. They get noticed, can afford things that the locals can't so feel successful, and can get a girlfriend who weighs less than they do for the first time ever. Losers instantly become winners.

Urban Dictionary.

I call them ecsTHAItics 

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:
11.    The Thaiophile

Urban Dictionary.

Spot on????

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

When i first came ,i was just a serial ,bar hopper ,then i got into business ,met my wife through it, now all those years later,i live pretty much the same life i did when we lived in the UK ,shopping ,garden ,etc , just do it in a nice climate and not surrounded by the scum from all over the world ,that used to live in my old home town in England .????

Well said.

Good man

I think you missed one or two categories. A large number of the experts here are poorly educated working-class Brits from the North of England. They come here for a better life and climate. Most of them end up with a Thai girlfriends far better looking, that they would ever find in the UK . There are so many of them that they feel quite at home and they hang out together. I would  add another category. Ugly and old ones love it here because they also can find a decent looking girl, which would be impossible in their own country.

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:
11.    The Thaiophile

Urban Dictionary.

but fail to learn the language

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

"9. The serial complainer"

I would have thought this refers more to TV members than actual expats in general !

Is there a collective noun for them? A Monge of Pattayites?

On 1/26/2019 at 10:04 AM, faraday said:

????Perhaps there should be a Delusional one.

You know the type, met one about a year ago. Said he had a £10 million business in the UK; from the looks of him though, he was probably on the Dole.

more than likely was ,thats why he had so much money ????

12. Ex-SAS/Police Undercover Intelligence

People who have never done anything meaningful with their life so they packed up everything they own into a suitcase and moved far away from everyone who ever knew them. They usually log-on to anonymous forums in the cover of darkness after the Chang has taken hold and try to impress other strangers with their fictional tales of how they are doing top-secret work with the local police or army to keep Thailand safe. 

3 hours ago, akirasan said:

Passé, very passé. Why anyone would want to boast about being a State sponsored paid assassin or snitch, is beyond me. I'd keep it secret, which they do. One admires their physical and mental abilities, much like one admires the fictional Hannibal Lecter. Competence is always attractive, especially to the incompetent.

Personally, after a brief explosion on the bar scene, which quickly palls, I've just recreated my life in the UK in Thailand. Less idiots here though, and they're concentrated in the tourist areas. So it's possible to live quite a nice life here. If you have money ... not humongous amounts, but enough to get by. Give up any ideas of changing the world, be a "happy Tityrus" and you'll do fine. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/27/2019 at 3:31 AM, akirasan said:

People who have never done anything meaningful with their life so they packed up everything they own into a suitcase and moved far away from everyone who ever knew them. They usually log-on to anonymous forums in the cover of darkness after the Chang has taken hold and try to impress other strangers with their fictional tales of how they are doing top-secret work with the local police or army to keep Thailand safe. 

you mean these poor fellows that are standing by 40 degrees in an orange coverall and asking for your driver's license 

or more these fruit cakes that are sneaking over your fence, taking Photos how you helping your little wife with the heavy stuff in the garden and have nothing else in mind to grass every neighbor up at the immigration bureau for doing recreational works without work permit?

Archived