ED visa

In theory, yes - but only if your local immigration office will let you. 

The procedure, if permitted, depends on whether or not you have a Non-Imm type visa now vs Tourist. 

The likelihood of imm-office cooperation depends primarily on the type of school.  If a 4-Yr Degree university, they may be OK to do it; but a if a Language-School, it is highly unlikely.  Somewhat more likely in both cases, if you already have a Non-Imm type Visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2019 at 12:14 PM, JackThompson said:

In theory, yes - but only if your local immigration office will let you. 

The procedure, if permitted, depends on whether or not you have a Non-Imm type visa now vs Tourist. 

The likelihood of imm-office cooperation depends primarily on the type of school.  If a 4-Yr Degree university, they may be OK to do it; but a if a Language-School, it is highly unlikely.  Somewhat more likely in both cases, if you already have a Non-Imm type Visa.

Today I went to the I/O in Chiang Mai to get an extension on my 30-day visa-exempt. 

Having STUPIDLY forgotten/neglected to get copies of pp pages and to bring my photos of me, I had to risk my life to run across the road to Tian to get copies made. Twice.

The who trip took me only a couple hours: 11:30 - 1:30 but it was a relatively simple process - just to get a new date stamped in for another month.

BUT, I asked them at the Tian place about help with an Ed Visa, since they list that as one of the services they provide for a fee. I was thinking about applying for with one of the language schools, had talked to NES and Walen and both told me they could get me the Ed Visa, after I made the committment and paid the non-refundable fees. It would take 40 - 60 days. Having only a 30-day permit,  I would have to go to Vientiane or elsewhere to apply for a TV - I understood NES to tell me I could go ahead and apply to them and take my paperwork with me to Vientiane and apply for the TrV and later get them to help me change it over to an Ed Visa.

Just passing on what they told me, whether this helps to clarify or muddy the issue.

At Tian they told me they could doing nothing until I get a real visa - from out of the country -

the 30-day exemption gives gives the bearer of this card no right at all - but for the bearer of a real visa they claim they could make an Ed Visa happen; it is what they do.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MuuKondiao said:

I asked them at the Tian place about help with an Ed Visa, since they list that as one of the services they provide for a fee. I was thinking about applying for with one of the language schools, had talked to NES and Walen and both told me they could get me the Ed Visa, after I made the committment and paid the non-refundable fees. It would take 40 - 60 days. Having only a 30-day permit,  I would have to go to Vientiane or elsewhere to apply for a TV - I understood NES to tell me I could go ahead and apply to them and take my paperwork with me to Vientiane and apply for the TrV and later get them to help me change it over to an Ed Visa.

Just passing on what they told me, whether this helps to clarify or muddy the issue.

At Tian they told me they could doing nothing until I get a real visa - from out of the country - 

the 30-day exemption gives gives the bearer of this card no right at all - but for the bearer of a real visa they claim they could make an Ed Visa happen; it is what they do.

If I understand correctly - did the Tian agency give you a quote on the cost of turning a Tourist Visa entry (60-days) into an ED stamp?  That might be helpful to some who have asked in the past about avoiding the trip out to a Thai Consulate for an ED Visa.

6 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If I understand correctly - did the Tian agency give you a quote on the cost of turning a Tourist Visa entry (60-days) into an ED stamp?  That might be helpful to some who have asked in the past about avoiding the trip out to a Thai Consulate for an ED Visa.

I believe immigration will not 'convert' a VEE or TV to an ED visa unless it is for the purpose of attending university. 

5 minutes ago, Christophers200 said:

I believe immigration will not 'convert' a VEE or TV to an ED visa unless it is for the purpose of attending university. 

That was also my understanding - though this report could indicate the possibility.  It may just be another case of something which is only done, at some offices, for an "extra fee".  CM is not close to a Thai Consulate abroad, so many would be interested if (big "if") it can be done - depending on the cost.

You don’t have to leave. Go visit a few visa agents and see which one has the best deal that suits your needs. Not only do you not have to leave, but if you get the right agent they will report and check-in for you too.

As usual here, there is the way things are supposed to be done and the way things are actually done.

11 hours ago, dcnx said:

You don’t have to leave. Go visit a few visa agents and see which one has the best deal that suits your needs. Not only do you not have to leave, but if you get the right agent they will report and check-in for you too.

As usual here, there is the way things are supposed to be done and the way things are actually done.

Possibly - and aware of "how things are" here in general.  But, do you know of anyone (1st hand) who successfully converted from Tourist to Non-ED in-country other than for a 4-year University?