(quite) aggressive songtaew driver...

jil

I took a songtaew today and since the driver hadn't mentioned a different fee than the usual 20 Baht I gave him 20 Baht at the destination. He quite aggressively demanded 30 Baht and pointed at a text in Thai on the outside of his car. I made a picture of it and it indeed says that this is the fare for 1 person as I later discovered. Since my trip was a bit out of the way (but still within the 20 Baht range) I didn't want to make a fuss about it and I gave him 30 Baht. Still I think that it would be much more polite to have this text also written in English and if I had not paid him 30 Baht I think I was right to do so.

Sent from my SM-J250F using Tapatalk

sorry snowflake, same thing happened to me.  after i saw the big sign that said 30 baht, well, i apologized.   here is my 2 cents.  chiang mai, they don't care about you.  only your money.  i'm not sure what you are complaining about.  stood your right?  what?  over 10 baht?  call the police, and then everyone will think you should pay the 30 baht even if you go one km.  it says 30 baht.  

i know, you travel and want everyone to treat you special.  i met a few people like that today, they immediately went into their own life and how great they were.  omg, i almost threw up.  

relax, this is nothing.  

i think it would be much more polite......LOL.....now you are telling people how to be polite.

classic.    but good post!!  

11 minutes ago, puukao said:

here is my 2 cents.  chiang mai, they don't care about you.  only your money.  

Your comment is actually worth 0 cents.

You obviously have never traveled much.

Every last tourist place in the world I have been to is all about the money. 

Rather naive but typical to pin point CM for your 2 cents....

I do recall someone on the forum here recently telling us the sign on the side says 30bt maximum fare and that 20bt is still the standard fare.

of course if the driver meets you at central festival and you want the airport he will say not going that way (for 30bt)

I do recall someone on the forum here recently telling us the sign on the side says 30bt maximum fare and that 20bt is still the standard fare.

of course if the driver meets you at central festival and you want the airport he will say not going that way (for 30bt)

This is the picture I took.

I think it indeed says the fare is 30 Baht for 1 person. I don't have a problem with that, but he should have told me this in advance. At least, that's what I think.

20190127_145824.jpeg.90db80e471cb5bee4381598190748d51.jpeg

I think the picture indeed says that the fare is 30 Baht for 1 person. I don't have a problem with that but he should have told me this in advance. At least, that's what I think.

The price is 30 Baht per person..... NOT 20 Baht!!!

This new price has been the standard for several months already... so I guess OP does not regularly use these busses!

You made a fool of yourself arguing over 10 baht... let alone you were in the wrong.

Farangs arguing and getting upset about 10 baht is pathetic and sad.

For clarity..... 

Red Songtaew price = 30 Baht per person for travel within the city center. 

If you privately hire it out.. or you are the only passenger and are going further you will pay more... agree on price before getting in!  

And why does OP think the guy should have told them the price was 30 Baht... what numpty can't see the HUGE 30 Bhat price written on every single red bus at eye height... do you need glasses or a cane?  

58 minutes ago, puukao said:

sorry snowflake, same thing happened to me.  after i saw the big sign that said 30 baht, well, i apologized.   here is my 2 cents.  chiang mai, they don't care about you.  only your money.  i'm not sure what you are complaining about.  stood your right?  what?  over 10 baht?  call the police, and then everyone will think you should pay the 30 baht even if you go one km.  it says 30 baht.  

i know, you travel and want everyone to treat you special.  i met a few people like that today, they immediately went into their own life and how great they were.  omg, i almost threw up.  

relax, this is nothing.  

i think it would be much more polite......LOL.....now you are telling people how to be polite.

classic.    but good post!!  

Plus, here's a test:

• Do taxis and other services have everything written in every language in your country?

The price is 30 Baht per person..... NOT 20 Baht!!!   This new price has been the standard for several months already... so I guess OP does not regularly use these busses!

You made a fool of yourself arguing over 10 baht... let alone you were in the wrong.

Farangs arguing and getting upset about 10 baht is pathetic and sad.

For clarity..... 

Red Songtaew price = 30 Baht per person for travel within the city center. 

If you privately hire it out.. or you are the only passenger and are going further you will pay more... agree on price before getting in!  

If the fee is indeed 30 Baht then it's a different story. I'm here for a few days and so far no songtaew driver said anything about it when I gave them 20 Baht. But again, if the fare has been changed after many many years from 20 to 30 Baht it becomes a different story. By the way, like I wrote earlier I didn't make a fuss about it so I think it's rather pathetic from you to assume I did so... 

12 minutes ago, jil said:

If the fee is indeed 30 Baht then it's a different story. I'm here for a few days and so far no songtaew driver said anything about it when I gave them 20 Baht. But again, if the fare has been changed after many many years from 20 to 30 Baht it becomes a different story. By the way, like I wrote earlier I didn't make a fuss about it so I think it's rather pathetic from you to assume I did so... 

Why is it their responsibility to tell you? It is written on the side of the songtaew. I'm sure you aren't the only one here that can't read Thai... but I can't think that many of us would expect an apology from the driver.

This is Thailand...accept it or leave...You have a choice!  Life is NOT perfect.  Not many options available here to us farang.  Piss the thai off and feel the sword gut you like a pig.  Not my rules, just the way things flow here.  Me: Pay him what he asked and extra to leave in one piece.  

I assumed the fare was still 20 Baht because no songtaew driver complained when I gave them 20 Baht the last few days. But like I said before, it becomes a different story when the fare has been raised indeed.

Then it becomes a misunderstanding.

2 minutes ago, jil said:

I assumed the fare was still 20 Baht because no songtaew driver complained when I gave them 20 Baht the last few days. But like I said before, it becomes a different story when the fare has been raised indeed.

Then it becomes a misunderstanding.

Are you for real? The fare went up, so you owe the guy an extra 10 baht. Now you know for next time. 

To think that you came home and went on TVF to cry about it ???? who are these people?

Are you for real? The fare went up, so you owe the guy an extra 10 baht. Now you know for next time. 

To think that you came home and went on TVF to cry about it [emoji85] who are these people?
I also think you lack the proper reading and comprehension skills to adequately react to my posts...

plane ticket to Thailand.  30,000 baht

hotels:   10,000 baht

food:  3,000 baht

100-hours complaining about 10 baht:  priceless

now call mommy and daddy and have them talk to mr. taxi driver.  i'm sure they can be super duper nicey nicey to you and maybe you can have some icey cream later.   don't worry we will buy you everything and protect you from life........we are in the helicopter.  

generation doomed.  

Reading this, I had to go back and check the date it was written. The standard fare went up about 8 months ago. There were several threads here on ThaiVisa about it at the time. For short rides inside the Old City drivers will still accept 20 without saying a word, but if you are going on a longer ride, they've been asking for 30 baht for almost a year now.

plane ticket to Thailand.  30,000 baht
hotels:   10,000 baht
food:  3,000 baht
100-hours complaining about 10 baht:  priceless

now call mommy and daddy and have them talk to mr. taxi driver.  i'm sure they can be super duper nicey nicey to you and maybe you can have some icey cream later.   don't worry we will buy you everything and protect you from life........we are in the helicopter.  

generation doomed.  

Life is not only about money, so you missed my point again.

Reading this, I had to go back and check the date it was written. The standard fare went up about 8 months ago. There were several threads here on ThaiVisa about it at the time. For short rides inside the Old City drivers will still accept 20 without saying a word, but if you are going on a longer ride, they've been asking for 30 baht for almost a year now.

Like I've written before it was a misunderstanding.

Either learn to read Thai, or agree the cost of the ride before you get in whatever conveyance you are hiring. It frankly baffles me how life gets so complicated for some people.

Is the OP related to Basil Fawlty?

Either learn to read Thai, or agree the cost of the ride before you get in whatever conveyance you are hiring. It frankly baffles me how life gets so complicated for some people.
Is the OP related to Basil Fawlty?
And your post baffles me...

1 hour ago, jil said:

You didn't make a fuss..........................but you posted it up here on TV?

10 minutes ago, jil said:

Like I've written before it was a misunderstanding.

You have become a victim of TVF ???? you have probably read endless (boring!) threads where folks have been ripped off in Baht buses that you expected it to happen and that it would make a welcome thread, just like many others that should probably have been ignored? - anyway, well done for posting, gives the waiting wolves something to get there teeth into ????

I think I've said all I wanted to say but I would encourage all people with poor reading and comprehension skills to keep on showing their lack of intelligence...

Archived