Wild dogs: Seven year old fighting for life after savage attack on Thai beach

webfact

5 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

You are certain it was the victims fault, without being there. Maybe it's the babies fault when they get mauled to death as well? NO it's the dogs fault, they are the attackers biters and killers, it's their nature. Dead dogs do not attack, dead dogs do not breed.

You criticise the OP because he wasn't there. Were you there?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Yet how is she OK with eating her chicken, pork, fish, etc, unless she is vegan she can not really moan about authorities humanely culling feral dogs.

What utter clap trap.

Dogs are DOMESTICATED animals.  They are not part of nature.. or the natural ecosystem here.  They are basically vermin, and do a great deal f damage to native wildlife, other domestic livestock, and harm human beings with their diseases and actually attacking us.

Well cared for pet or working dogs are fantastic creatures, and have a lot of offer in terms of companionship and affection.  They are a delight to own.  Street / feral dogs have nothing to offer, are a danger so society and cost need to be removed.  You are not an animals lover if you are supporting street dogs sad, diseases, cruel, starving lives.  This is unacceptable and should not be allowed to happen to any animal.  

Who says the child was unsupervised?  He was with friends, other children in a PUBLIC space near his home. Do you have children, or just a bunch of dogs?  

My neighbours complained to me that I was annoying them when THEIR OWN dogs were barking at night when I took my Chihuahua dog for a walk at 10 pm on a lead before bed.  My street and the surrounding ones has  many dogs just wandering around and running about in packs.  Lots of puppies too.. all year round.  Dogs howling, fighting, chasing bikes and scaring people.  But I am the one who is considered the bad dog owner LOL.  

Serves you right for being a foreigner. Didn't you know that Thais do no wrong?

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

We used to walk around our neighborhood at sunset but stopped about 6 months ago due to an increase in aggressive dogs. 

Ans of course we can’t walk on the main streets because people drive like idiots and the sidewalk is hazard  with collapsing parts, broken concrete, and low hanging cables from the electrical poles above. And of course the occasional sign that forces you to walk into the road to get around it.

Forgive me for this but you didn't know Thai naighbourhoods are like this? This is the home of stupid, I think it's the only thing that Thais really did invent, you must have known that surely?

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

You don't know anything about dogs.

Thank you for proving my point that dogs are territorial animals that will attack.

"It starts with a dog that barks to defend its territory as a jogger runs by. Why does the dog bark? To make that person go away. And what happens when the jogger keeps running? They go away, and the dog has “won.” After this happens repeatedly, the dog learns that barking will make the invader leave, so its excitement level goes up in anticipation. This continued reinforcement really is the definition of a “vicious cycle.”"

https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-behavior/biting/when-dogs-attack

I guess Cesar doesn't know dogs either right?

2 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Forgive me for this but you didn't know Thai naighbourhoods are like this? This is the home of stupid, I think it's the only thing that Thais really did invent, you must have known that surely?

Wrong again, Thais invented Pok Deng and Sepak takraw. 

Obvious indication there's a gap in the government/civilization system here.  

Same in the middle east/gulf country I lived and worked in for a long time.  Soi dogs reproduce, form packs and stake out a home turf claim on the edges of residential areas.  It was always just a matter of time before the next incident with a bicyclist or jogger.

If it was a lowly laborer/slave (Bangladeshi/Indian/Paki) nothing was done.  The last one I recall was a local Arab of some import out for an early evening walk, so the government sent the cops out to shoot soi dogs on sight. 

That helped the immediate population problem but without an organized, funded sterilization and monitoring program, the problem returned after a few breeding cycles.  The SPCA org and the typically western volunteers who worked there, was pitifully over worked and under funded.  I don't believe they had any government funding or subsidies, they muddled through by collecting modest adoption fees, donations and volunteerism.

2 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Thank you for proving my point that dogs are territorial animals that will attack.

"It starts with a dog that barks to defend its territory as a jogger runs by. Why does the dog bark? To make that person go away. And what happens when the jogger keeps running? They go away, and the dog has “won.” After this happens repeatedly, the dog learns that barking will make the invader leave, so its excitement level goes up in anticipation. This continued reinforcement really is the definition of a “vicious cycle.”"

https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-behavior/biting/when-dogs-attack

I guess Cesar doesn't know dogs either right?

You really don't know anything about dogs do you?  You said dogs are cowards when in fact many are very brave and attack anything when their owner is threatened.  Two barking dogs don't bite.  The dog is telling you it is there and are not wanted.  When the dog stops barking you should run away.  I take my dog with me for defense and my dog will protect me regardless of territory.  Proving in addition to being territorial they are loyal. 

4 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Obvious indication there's a gap in the government/civilization system here.  

Same in the middle east/gulf country I lived and worked in for a long time.  Soi dogs reproduce, form packs and stake out a home turf claim on the edges of residential areas.  It was always just a matter of time before the next incident with a bicyclist or jogger.

If it was a lowly laborer/slave (Bangladeshi/Indian/Paki) nothing was done.  The last one I recall was a local Arab of some import out for an early evening walk, so the government sent the cops out to shoot soi dogs on sight. 

That helped the immediate population problem but without an organized, funded sterilization and monitoring program, the problem returned after a few breeding cycles.  The SPCA org and the typically western volunteers who worked there, was pitifully over worked and under funded.  I don't believe they had any government funding or subsidies, they muddled through by collecting modest adoption fees, donations and volunteerism.

Muslims hate dogs so no surprise.  https://www.newenglishreview.org/blog_direct_link.cfm/blog_id/65897/Why-Do-So-Many-Muslims-Hate-Dogs

1 minute ago, upu2 said:

And send an iO to check the dog lives where it says it does

They do that already, but they not very good with arithmetic and they can't carry a calculator in their pockets to count the legs with. People might think they're a bit dim. Heaven forbid.

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

More effective is not tormenting dogs. I am 90% certain that the boy was throwing rocks and debris at the dogs and making threatening gestures. I see it regularly. Thai kids can be very, very cruel.

Culling does not work, and has never worked. How many times do you need to be told. The issue has been studied and documented. Only population control through spaying and neutering, the cessation of dumping of animals and the end of the puppy mills will manage the problem.

Just put the mutts to sleep period. They are a danger to people as this attack shows, they dirty the place with their crap and in general serve no purpose that is of value. They dont need to cull them they need to eliminate them period. Any owner who let their dogs out should have the dogs put down and the owners heavily fined

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Which always made me muse about why soi dogs were tolerated at all.  Having said that, soi dogs weren't as numerous there as they are here.  Not even close. 

Edit:  Tolerated probably not the right word.  Ignored until they couldn't be ignored anymore, then put a short term band aid on it and ignore again until......  wash, rinse, repeat.

6 minutes ago, upu2 said:

Just put the mutts to sleep period. They are a danger to people as this attack shows, they dirty the place with their crap and in general serve no purpose that is of value. They dont need to cull them they need to eliminate them period. Any owner who let their dogs out should have the dogs put down and the owners heavily fined

You are missing the point through ignorance of the problem.  The poster your were responding to was correct when he wrote, " Culling does not work, and has never worked. How many times do you need to be told. The issue has been studied and documented. Only population control through spaying and neutering, the cessation of dumping of animals and the end of the puppy mills will manage the problem."  

Do some research about the subject and you will see that geriatrickid was right. 

6 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Which always made me muse about why soi dogs were tolerated at all.  Having said that, soi dogs weren't as numerous there as they are here.  Not even close. 

Edit:  Tolerated probably not the right word.  Ignored until they couldn't be ignored anymore, then put a short term band aid on it and ignore again until......  wash, rinse, repeat.

Tolerated probably was the right word, as to why? Laziness, NMP.

13 minutes ago, upu2 said:

Agree, but with a heavy heart because it does not speak well of the population. Again.

21 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Agree, but with a heavy heart because it does not speak well of the population. Again.

Won't solve the problem.  Ha ha you must be Thai (going off half cocked without any research).  The problem can only be solved by spay and neuter program, the cessation of dumping of animals and the end of the puppy mills. 

I'm not sure why the people of Thailand dont ask at the city hall to fix such problems.

I'm sure if a Thai person asked at City Hall they would get action.

I.e please collect all stray dogs.

Well maybe not one person. But 100 surely would be noticed.

Maybe 100 posters here could arrange to meet if they are Thai ID card holders.

I guess foreigners should stay out of politics. 

1 minute ago, stud858 said:

I'm not sure why the people of Thailand dont ask at the city hall to fix such problems.

I'm sure if a Thai person asked at City Hall they would get action.

I.e please collect all stray dogs.

Well maybe not one person. But 100 surely would be noticed.

Maybe 100 posters here could arrange to meet if they are Thai ID card holders.

I guess foreigners should stay out of politics. 

Soi Dog project marks 250,000th sterilization. 

Bangkok’s 640,000 Street Dogs To Be Sterilised In 7 Year Programme

https://whatsonsukhumvit.com/bangkoks-640000-street-dogs-to-be-sterilised-in-7-year-programme/

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Who says the child was unsupervised?  He was with friends, other children in a PUBLIC space near his home. Do you have children, or just a bunch of dogs?  

Ohhh so being with other children makes it supervised? ????

You are missing the point through ignorance of the problem.  The poster your were responding to was correct when he wrote, " Culling does not work, and has never worked. How many times do you need to be told. The issue has been studied and documented. Only population control through spaying and neutering, the cessation of dumping of animals and the end of the puppy mills will manage the problem."  

Do some research about the subject and you will see that geriatrickid was right. 

That “research” is non sense. I assume you are trotting out the same old bleeding heart rubbish from those people at Soi Dog Foundation who are looking for a meal ticket to stay in Thailand.

That research is based on studies completed in PHUKET....Phuket is an ISLAND with one point of ingress and egress.....that study is meaningless.....show us a study of an effective program carried out on the MAINLAND with no natural borders...

7 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

More effective is not tormenting dogs. I am 90% certain that the boy was throwing rocks and debris at the dogs and making threatening gestures. I see it regularly. Thai kids can be very, very cruel.

Culling does not work, and has never worked. How many times do you need to be told. The issue has been studied and documented. Only population control through spaying and neutering, the cessation of dumping of animals and the end of the puppy mills will manage the problem.

Not sure if the kid himself was tormenting the dogs, but it's true that oppressed living beings, including humans, develop aggressive behaviours.

I am not an expert, but i think your post is spot on.

1 hour ago, HalfLight said:

The Thai village I live in does not have a single stray dog.

People own dogs but they keep them on their own gated property and they walk them on leashes.

The only exception for a while was "Daeng" - a very good natured dog that came with the village - someone adopted him & he's now got a collar and is walked on a leash.

Now every village is the same.

3 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

The Thai village I live in does not have a single stray dog.

People own dogs but they keep them on their own gated property and they walk them on leashes.

The only exception for a while was "Daeng" - a very good natured dog that came with the village - someone adopted him & he's now got a collar and is walked on a leash.

Now every village is the same.

Lucky guy, I do wish my village was the same. Still, gated village - wealthy or foreign residents? Mine is a normal Isaan village, poor from top to bottom (including me courtesy of Theresa bloody May). Perhaps that's the difference?

In the UK, stray dogs are destroyed aka culled. 

Can you explain why the UK does not have a massive stray dog problem like Thailand? 

Culling is the norm. The fact it's failed in countries that attempt it half-heartedly is irrelevant.  Dead dogs cannot reproduce and if other dogs move into an area that has been culled, they get the bullet too.

Won't solve the problem.  Ha ha you must be Thai (going off half cocked without any research).  The problem can only be solved by spay and neuter program, the cessation of dumping of animals and the end of the puppy mills. 

How do dead dogs reproduce, exactly?

Archived