Wild dogs: Seven year old fighting for life after savage attack on Thai beach

webfact

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Dont bother sterilizing, they will still be a health menace, a traffic risk and they will still shit and bark and attack people. JUST START KILLING THEM

Thais don't seem to mind near as much as you do.  Maybe you should take it up with them.  Or you could move to the ME or Russia.  Chicago right now would be good as global freezing has hit there and all the strays are frozen stiff as popsicles as we speak feels like -75 chill index.   

4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

What nanny state are you from?

Don't children paly together in the park or public space where you come from without qualified adult supervisors 24 / 7 monitoring?

Do you keep you children on a lead at all times and never for one moment take you eyes off them?

There are a bunch of children playing out no in the quite street outside my house.  Range in age from about 7 - 12 I guess.  No adult watching them.  But there are people about, their own houses close buy.   This is normal thing.  

So that’s a positive then. Unsupervised????

The rest of the rant is just rubbish to justify your original rubbish . 

Surely you have enough brain cells and capacity to understand the difference between kids park or playground and an open beach and dangers it possess. 

21 minutes ago, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

Don't blame the dogs. Blame Thai people for (a) backyard pet shops of unsustainable breeding and (b) people not getting their pet sterilized.

Solution:

1. 6-month education campaign about why to sterilize pets and why to buy pets only if you want the responsibility.
  2. Use tax payer money to sterilize all stray dogs in Thailand.
  3. Ban pet shops from selling unstertilzed dogs. Tax payer money should be used for a town-by-town team of social media bounty hunters to seek out people selling pets online and to collect their information to make sure they are complying with the law.

What to you think? Can we make it happen?

NO. 

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Thais don't seem to mind near as much as you do.  Maybe you should take it up with them.  Or you could move to the ME or Russia.  Chicago right now would be good as global freezing has hit there and all the strays are frozen stiff as popsicles as we speak feels like -75 chill index.   

Thais don't seem to mind about the traffic carnage, the corruption or high levels of child abuse, that does not make these things right or acceptable any more than millions of strays are.

28 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

In fact, mass dog culling has been shown to have no long-term impact on the control of rabies ..

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5502273/

The problem of the over population of street dogs in Thailand is not just about rabies, it's about diseased dogs, dog attacks, dog sh1t everywhere, road accidents because of dogs, so how about not using research on rabies to justify not reducing the over population of diseased ridden, half starved soi dogs from the streets of Thailand. 

36 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I want them all to be wiped out, they are a benefit to nobody and suffer as they are riddled with disease. Then there are the obvious health risks to humans as they have high rabies levels and they also present a serious road safety risk. There are dozens around where we are around every corner, the mrs is always swerving to avoid the vermin but I tell he to just run then down and not risk an accident. I don't want to see a few hundred thousand killed, I want to see millions of them gone, because that's how many there are.

I hear you, bro. Imagine a bucket under a running faucet. At some point, the water is going to overflow. But that faucet is still running. The bucket will fill up again. That's what it's like! kill the dogs and over time, Thai's will find a way to have a pet dog and some will abandon their dog when it gets pregnant. Then in a decade, we will be back to... how much?... 2 million stray dogs again. We need to kill the root cause... unsafe dog sex and irresponsible pet shops. What do you think? It requires legislation.

18 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Thais don't seem to mind about the traffic carnage, the corruption or high levels of child abuse, that does not make these things right or acceptable any more than millions of strays are.

I know it's fun to bash Thai people but it does not really help with the problem.  I adopted a soi dog and had it vaccinated and neutered and keep her off the street and she only barks when you want to come into my house - like a doorbell.  I'm sure you are not just a whinging XXX and you have actually done something to solve the problem - what would that be?

11 minutes ago, Artisi said:

The problem of the over population of street dogs in Thailand is not just about rabies, it's about diseased dogs, dog attacks, dog sh1t everywhere, road accidents because of dogs, so how about not using research on rabies to justify not reducing the over population of diseased ridden, half starved soi dogs from the streets of Thailand. 

I was responding to a poster who wrote, " obvious health risks to humans as they have high rabies levels"  Am I not allowed to answer another posters post without your approval?  Is your home country free from stray dogs?  How did they solve the problem.  Perhaps Thailand can learn from you.  

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I know it's fun to bash Thai people but it does not really help with the problem.  I adopted a soi dog and had it vaccinated and neutered and keep her off the street and she only barks when you want to come into my house - like a doorbell.  I'm sure you are not just a whinging XXX and you have actually done something to solve the problem - what would that be?

Ponting out the truth is not 'bashing' The last thing I did was to write to the idiots 4 doors down who stupidly took in 5 soi dogs. Of course they left them out all day and it was bedlam, constant howling, barking and whining making life a misery for the neighbours in most of the time. Surprisingly they did have them all put down after others complained. The right result.

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Ponting out the truth is not 'bashing' The last thing I did was to write to the idiots 4 doors down who stupidly took in 5 soi dogs. Of course they left them out all day and it was bedlam, constant howling, barking and whining making life a misery for the neighbours in most of the time. Surprisingly they did have them all put down after others complained. The right result.

Truth or not has nothing to do with bashing or not.  Positive or negative does.  Positive post on TV is Thai apologist.  Negative post is Thai bashing. 

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Stop and think about it logically and ignore your background for a minute and you'll see that the article makes a lot of sense.  You are better off if the dogs don't reproduce as opposed to killing them. 

I have & I have provided arguments that you cannot counter. 

You on the other hand can only parrot "it has been shown" - when it quite clearly hasn't.

As for my background - I come from a country that culls strays and has no stray problem. Perhaps you can explain why the streets of the UK are not awash with strays given that they kill them.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I just keep posting the same stuff over and over because you are too lazy to read the thread.

The Soi Dog Foundation (SDF) has sterilised its 250,000th animal 2018. 

https://whatsonsukhumvit.com/bangkoks-640000-street-dogs-to-be-sterilised-in-7-year-programme/

I realize some religions have a big thing about killing dogs but I really think if you read the available literature and look at the progress of the Soi Dog Foundation you will see the logical way to handle the problem.  Try google why culling the dog population won't work. 

Yes - well done to SDF - they got their charity money and spent some of it on vaccinations.

In the meantime - the Soi Dog problem in Bangkok is still getting worse.

As for your "read the literature" - make a point yourself if you have one. It's tiresome you trolling out the same old tired "if you read the research"...

SDF has done NOTHING to resolve the issue. Nothing at all.  They have made no difference.

The Asian wolf is what Aussies call a dingo. It is an ancient original breed and the DNA and species

of this dog need to be preserved. There are several "dingoes" in my village and they are wonderful one owner dogs.

The mongrel underfed, uncared for skin infected soi dogs that occupy most of Thailand is a disgrace.

I have paid to have some of the more promising bitches sterilized. It is not cheap and I can only do so much.

I wish they would round up the overbred, inbred dogs and euthanize them. I wish they could subsidize

vets to neuter and sterilize them.

7 hours ago, pedro01 said:

I have & I have provided arguments that you cannot counter. 

You on the other hand can only parrot "it has been shown" - when it quite clearly hasn't.

As for my background - I come from a country that culls strays and has no stray problem. Perhaps you can explain why the streets of the UK are not awash with strays given that they kill them.

I have linked three sources where experts have stated culling is not the answer and told you what I personally have done to improve the situation.  You on the other hand have stated only your opinion and that you would like to kill helpless animals. 

7 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Yes - well done to SDF - they got their charity money and spent some of it on vaccinations.

In the meantime - the Soi Dog problem in Bangkok is still getting worse.

As for your "read the literature" - make a point yourself if you have one. It's tiresome you trolling out the same old tired "if you read the research"...

SDF has done NOTHING to resolve the issue. Nothing at all.  They have made no difference.

The Soi Dog Foundation has sterilized 250,000 animals and have made a difference.  You on the other hand have done nothing.  I have adopted a soi dog and neutered it and keep it in my gated property you on the other hand have done nothing.  Why are you posting? Me on the other hand if listened to and others adopt a soi dog and neuter as opposed to breeding will help solve the problem.  

On 1/28/2019 at 10:21 AM, happy chappie said:

the nutty cow across the road is a bad 5 yapping dogs and her shouting at them all day and night.i go to sleep hearing this crap and wake up to it.not one ounce of respect.she even had the Gaul to say we should shut our gate if we didn't want them crapping on out property.

Geez man, where do you live? Sounds awful almost like a ghetto.

8 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I was responding to a poster who wrote, " obvious health risks to humans as they have high rabies levels"  Am I not allowed to answer another posters post without your approval?  Is your home country free from stray dogs?  How did they solve the problem.  Perhaps Thailand can learn from you.  

You can answer who ever you like, but the OP was about a 7 year old being attacked by a dog pack, nothing to do with rabies. 

As you well know rabies is just a one issue  and is side-tracking the OP.

The responses from the majority of posters is about reducing the massive over population of streets dogs in Thailand not about the pro's and con's of culling or other methods of bringing rabies under control, which is only a problem if the street dogs are allowed to survive and breed. 

To answer your question about my country being free of stray dogs, yes it is, possibly because all strays are rounded up and either homes are found for them or they and put down, it's not rocket science is it - get them off the streets and there is no longer a problem of dog packs attacking people or a high incidence of rabies. 

32 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The Soi Dog Foundation has sterilized 250,000 animals and have made a difference.  You on the other hand have done nothing.  I have adopted a soi dog and neutered it and keep it in my gated property you on the other hand have done nothing.  Why are you posting? Me on the other hand if listened to and others adopt a soi dog and neuter as opposed to breeding will help solve the problem.  

The SDF, might have sterilised 250,000 dogs while the other 750,000 ++ are breeding exponentialy. They will never overtake the breeding rate unless the rate of breeding is exceeded by sterilisation. 

Simple 101 mathematics. 

10 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

My dog is a stray I adopted and stays in my gated home

Where it should remain.

14 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

My dog protects what she thinks belongs to her.

So if your dog is outside your gate, and thinks the Soi belongs to her, she is free to attack ? Crock of cow manure.

No one is saying come onto your property and kill your dog. We are saying kill stray dogs.

Until the Soi Bow Wow Foundation can sterilize dogs at a faster rate than they breed, you are in effect doing absolutely nothing.

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

The Soi Dog Foundation does most of its work in Phuket (and where it’s studies are based).

These attacks happened in Phuket.

What more is there to say?

On 1/28/2019 at 1:29 PM, bangrak said:

...But is ILLEGAL, even on licensed carbines, and will bring you in BIG trouble with police, ...when you're not some phu yai or a member of such a family of course, but as they mostly own some of these canine pest themselve...

Don't let that get in the way of a good story. All the black ops boys are out with their assault rifles supressors and nvgs or starlight scopes ready to single handedly take out the stray dog population. Most of whom do not own or have access to a firearm in thailand nor any of the other gear they get hard over in their canine killing fantasies.

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Positive is helping to solve the problem negative is whinging about it with no viable solution. 

I have done things to rid our moohbaan of vermin dogs including getting the committee to get the dog catchers in, they caught 14 dogs. Also a letter to idiots who 'adopted' 5 soi dogs only to leave them out all day barking. The viable solution to the dog pest is killing them, sterilising them still leaves then around, slowing their growth rate is not the answer, death is.

2 hours ago, bowerboy said:

The Soi Dog Foundation does most of its work in Phuket (and where it’s studies are based).

These attacks happened in Phuket.

What more is there to say?

You could say you were not accurate. 

News

Bangkok’s 640,000 Street Dogs To Be Sterilised In 7 Year Programme

https://whatsonsukhumvit.com/bangkoks-640000-street-dogs-to-be-sterilised-in-7-year-programme/

4 hours ago, Artisi said:

To answer your question about my country being free of stray dogs, yes it is, possibly because all strays are rounded up and either homes are found for them or they and put down, it's not rocket science is it - get them off the streets and there is no longer a problem of dog packs attacking people or a high incidence of rabies.

Stray dogs still 'significant' problem in UK, says Dogs Trust

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34413490

Stray dogs fall to lowest level in 20 years after compulsory microchipping is introduced.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34413490

You will notice the improvement was not by killing buy microchipping. 

Costs a lot less to microchip than murder helpless animals.  Perhaps Thailand could learn something from the UK.

Archived