Wild dogs: Seven year old fighting for life after savage attack on Thai beach

webfact

I can't see how a dog catcher roaming the neighbourhood popping off every free dog as not working, but there are more diplomatic ways.

I'm not sure if diplomacy,democracy,compassion works well in the world we live in any more though.

Btw . "I don't feel at home in the world anymore." Is a good movie.

Do yourself a favour and take a watch.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, bowerboy said:

That “research” is non sense. I assume you are trotting out the same old bleeding heart rubbish from those people at Soi Dog Foundation who are looking for a meal ticket to stay in Thailand.

That research is based on studies completed in PHUKET....Phuket is an ISLAND with one point of ingress and egress.....that study is meaningless.....show us a study of an effective program carried out on the MAINLAND with no natural borders...

If you look carefully at the majority of research that says culling / permanent removal doesn't work, only neutering or food removal is successful, it would seem the "research" is by dog loving groups. 

On 1/28/2019 at 10:21 AM, happy chappie said:

I would like to know how many dogs the parents have.there not one house around my village that ain't got less than 2-3 dogs out front ready to pounce on you as you walk by.in fact you can't walk the streets here.ive got two visitors staying here and went for a walk yesterday morning and were back in 3 minutes saying the dogs at the end of the soi were looking for action as they neared them.all of my friends have treadmills as the streets are too dangerous to walk day or night.no one in my village gives a hoot about the problem so nothing will ever change.10 zanax ground up in a meat ball and one dropped off every couple of night will be the only way to humanely rid the problem.the nutty cow across the road is a bad 5 yapping dogs and her shouting at them all day and night.i go to sleep hearing this crap and wake up to it.not one ounce of respect.she even had the Gaul to say we should shut our gate if we didn't want them crapping on out property.i said how about she locks them in hers and don't let them shit up the soi but then came the threats.if a was Thai they would all be dead for sure.8 million baht property surrounded by 100s of dogs and tin hut houses with millions of baht cars.if a young child walked down this soi it would end up as another sad case as in this one.

Dealing with dogs that have a owner and "protect the house" is pretty simple. Show them you are not scared, be calm. If you are anxious they get anxious, too.  And they like/want to fight what they fear.

I have the same situation here ... many dogs. Meanwhile they know me. The only one who is still angry is the one I used to chase from my GFs property.

No idea why all threads in this forum are so anti Thai ... what are you doing here if you can not adapt?

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

If you look carefully at the majority of research that says culling / permanent removal doesn't work, only neutering or food removal is successful, it would seem the "research" is by dog loving groups. 

The majority of research on the matter is published by animal loving organisations. There is not one unbiased source on this that agrees with what you say.

The idea that neutering is more effective is ludicrous. You people here keep repeating the study but you cannot answer basic questions like:

- Why do countries in the UK, that destroy stray dogs - not have a hugs stray problem if culling doesn't work?

- How do you keep track of which dogs have been neutered and which haven't?

- How exactly do these dead dogs reproduce.

Culling is an ongoing process. They still capture dumped dogs in the UK. Give the job to a couple of guys per Amphur. Give them a few square km each. Make it an ongoing job.

Sorted.

2 hours ago, bowerboy said:

D-Max (or Nong D Mack)

In our village we have got kids called:

Toast

Jedi

Arsenal

Man U

Prince

Ipad

These are the more ridiculous ones I remember off the top of my head.

There are others

We have google, iphone, you tube and samsung not that it has anything to do with dogs. At least no kids called rabies yet!

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 4:02 PM, marcusarelus said:

You really don't know anything about dogs do you?  You said dogs are cowards when in fact many are very brave and attack anything when their owner is threatened.  Two barking dogs don't bite.  The dog is telling you it is there and are not wanted.  When the dog stops barking you should run away.  I take my dog with me for defense and my dog will protect me regardless of territory.  Proving in addition to being territorial they are loyal. 

Barking dogs bit.  I have been bitten twice by barking dogs.  Just a few days ago cycling slowly with my friend down a main road, passed a gate behind which were several large barking dogs, one jumped the tall wall as I passed and lunged at my bike and bit my behind.... I was lucky not to get more than a scratch because I had my bag on that side and my tablet phone cushioned most of the impact.  That dog was barking then.... I was going so slowly I had time to give it a hard kick in the teeth.

That dog in the video is not brave.  Its acting stupid, aggressively and has no idea about its size or the danger the bears might pose.... its very dumb and aggressive.  

And what idiot owners allowing the dog to be left alone outside with such dangers unsupervised.  

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:22 PM, BestB said:

Ohhh so being with other children makes it supervised? ????

What nanny state are you from?

Don't children paly together in the park or public space where you come from without qualified adult supervisors 24 / 7 monitoring?

Do you keep you children on a lead at all times and never for one moment take you eyes off them?

There are a bunch of children playing out no in the quite street outside my house.  Range in age from about 7 - 12 I guess.  No adult watching them.  But there are people about, their own houses close buy.   This is normal thing.  

16 hours ago, pedro01 said:

The majority of research on the matter is published by animal loving organisations. There is not one unbiased source on this that agrees with what you say.

The idea that neutering is more effective is ludicrous. You people here keep repeating the study but you cannot answer basic questions like:

- Why do countries in the UK, that destroy stray dogs - not have a hugs stray problem if culling doesn't work?

- How do you keep track of which dogs have been neutered and which haven't?

- How exactly do these dead dogs reproduce.

Culling is an ongoing process. They still capture dumped dogs in the UK. Give the job to a couple of guys per Amphur. Give them a few square km each. Make it an ongoing job.

Sorted.

http://theconversation.com/culling-pest-animals-can-do-more-harm-than-good-40702

38 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Barking dogs bit.  I have been bitten twice by barking dogs.  Just a few days ago cycling slowly with my friend down a main road, passed a gate behind which were several large barking dogs, one jumped the tall wall as I passed and lunged at my bike and bit my behind.... I was lucky not to get more than a scratch because I had my bag on that side and my tablet phone cushioned most of the impact.  That dog was barking then.... I was going so slowly I had time to give it a hard kick in the teeth.

That dog in the video is not brave.  Its acting stupid, aggressively and has no idea about its size or the danger the bears might pose.... its very dumb and aggressive.  

And what idiot owners allowing the dog to be left alone outside with such dangers unsupervised.  

My dog protects what she thinks belongs to her.  Me, the house and anything on our property.  She don't care how big you are or how you act.  She barks to warn you.  Then she growls. And then she attacks.  We had a prowler who learned a hard lesson about that.  She got his boxer shorts.  The cops found him in the jungle with only a shirt on.  The bear came on the property of the little dog.  Same thing.  My dog is not dumb.  She is loyal and brave - don't mess with her.  She may die protecting what is hers.  She is very strong willed. 

27 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Not even remotely the same. 

But from your article:

"For culling to produce a lasting reduction in abundance, it is essential not just to accomplish the relatively easy task of removing animals from a high-density population. We also need to be able to continue removing animals at rates that equal or exceed the capacity for increase of a population with improved survival and reproduction"

Which is exactly what the UK does. Has people whose job it is to continue removal. It's not difficult.

You were bit by a Dog in Thailand you must assume that dog is rabid and get treatment or else you are facing the certainty you will die.

Recently a woman who was bitten by a puppy in India died in the US about 7 months later. It might not happen right away.

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

Not even remotely the same. 

But from your article:

"For culling to produce a lasting reduction in abundance, it is essential not just to accomplish the relatively easy task of removing animals from a high-density population. We also need to be able to continue removing animals at rates that equal or exceed the capacity for increase of a population with improved survival and reproduction"

Which is exactly what the UK does. Has people whose job it is to continue removal. It's not difficult.

Stop and think about it logically and ignore your background for a minute and you'll see that the article makes a lot of sense.  You are better off if the dogs don't reproduce as opposed to killing them. 

Stop and think about it logically and ignore your background for a minute and you'll see that the article makes a lot of sense.  You are better off if the dogs don't reproduce as opposed to killing them. 
If they are dead they don't reproduce.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

and how many dogs will be born while you're tying to neuter the thousands of dogs wandering the streets of Thailand. Where are all the skilled people coming from to carry out this marvellous neutering programme that needs to proceed at a greater rate than the uncontrolled breeding of free roaming dogs  - so my suggestion is, how about you stopping and thinking about it logically.

There are hundreds of available military guys well trained in weapon handling to either shot the dogs with a bullet or lethal darting - now doesn't that make more sense?   

3 minutes ago, Artisi said:

and how many dogs will be born while you're tying to neuter the thousands of dogs wandering the streets of Thailand. Where are all the skilled people coming from to carry out this marvellous neutering programme that needs to proceed at a greater rate than the uncontrolled breeding of free roaming dogs  - so my suggestion is, how about you stopping and thinking about it logically.

There are hundreds of available military guys well trained in weapon handling to either shot the dogs with a bullet or lethal darting - now doesn't that make more sense?   

I just keep posting the same stuff over and over because you are too lazy to read the thread.

The Soi Dog Foundation (SDF) has sterilised its 250,000th animal 2018. 

https://whatsonsukhumvit.com/bangkoks-640000-street-dogs-to-be-sterilised-in-7-year-programme/

I realize some religions have a big thing about killing dogs but I really think if you read the available literature and look at the progress of the Soi Dog Foundation you will see the logical way to handle the problem.  Try google why culling the dog population won't work. 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

I just keep posting the same stuff over and over because you are too lazy to read the thread.

https://whatsonsukhumvit.com/bangkoks-640000-street-dogs-to-be-sterilised-in-7-year-programme/

I realize some religions have a big thing about killing dogs but I really think if you read the available literature and look at the progress of the Soi Dog Foundation you will see the logical way to handle the problem.  Try google why culling the dog population won't work. 

well, if you keep posting the same stuff over and over, it might mean that it is considered useless by many people.

Would you care to comment on the projected birth rate over a 7 year period of those unsterilized dogs - look forward to your considered answer.

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I don't believe that figure but even if they did while they were at it hundreds of thousand more were born so all they do is slow the growth rate down, that's no solution. Killing the pests is.

3 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I don't believe that figure but even if they did while they were at it hundreds of thousand more were born so all they do is slow the growth rate down, that's no solution. Killing the pests is.

What are you gonna do?  You want to kill a few hundred thousand dogs and some Thai nuts want to sterilize them and to top it off they produce a lot of scientific evidence/bs that slaughtering all of those helpless animals is not the right way to solve the problem.  I feel your pain. 

11 minutes ago, Artisi said:

well, if you keep posting the same stuff over and over, it might mean that it is considered useless by many people.

Would you care to comment on the projected birth rate over a 7 year period of those unsterilized dogs - look forward to your considered answer.

“The street dog problem is not a dog problem, it is a human behavior problem. Owners who allow their dogs to roam sterilized are irresponsible and have unknowingly created the stray dog problem we see today.  Killing or sterilizing alone is not the answer.  Stop the puppy mills and stop owners from letting dogs run free.  Adopt soi dogs instead of breeding and producing more dogs that owners will release to become soi dogs.  

The alternative is the Russian or Arab answer of mass killing.  I'm not into that.  My dog is a stray I adopted and stays in my gated home and only allowed out on a leash.  I contribute to the Soi Dog foundation.  I talk the talk and walk the walk. 

I want them all to be wiped out, they are a benefit to nobody and suffer as they are riddled with disease. Then there are the obvious health risks to humans as they have high rabies levels and they also present a serious road safety risk. There are dozens around where we are around every corner, the mrs is always swerving to avoid the vermin but I tell he to just run then down and not risk an accident. I don't want to see a few hundred thousand killed, I want to see millions of them gone, because that's how many there are.

Don't blame the dogs. Blame Thai people for (a) backyard pet shops of unsustainable breeding and (b) people not getting their pet sterilized.

Solution:

1. 6-month education campaign about why to sterilize pets and why to buy pets only if you want the responsibility.
  2. Use tax payer money to sterilize all stray dogs in Thailand.
  3. Ban pet shops from selling unstertilzed dogs. Tax payer money should be used for a town-by-town team of social media bounty hunters to seek out people selling pets online and to collect their information to make sure they are complying with the law.

What to you think? Can we make it happen?

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I want them all to be wiped out, they are a befit to nobody and suffer as they are riddled with disease. Then there are the obvious health risks to humans as they have high rabies levels and they also present a serious road safety risk. There are dozens around where we are around every corner, the mrs is always swerving to avoid the vermin but I tell he to just run then down and not risk an accident. I don't want to see a few hundred thousand killed, I want to see millions of them gone, because that's how many there are.

In fact, mass dog culling has been shown to have no long-term impact on the control of rabies ..

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5502273/

Archived