Ingrown Toenails

sceadugenga

A few years ago I had a rather serious case with my big toe. Started turning blue, swollen and extremely painful. Went to a clinic and the doctor injected the site with a local and used a scalpel to cut the section away. Well bandaged and given anti-biotics and instructions on care of the wound (keep it dry, etc.). A couple of weeks and it was good as new. I'm very careful now when I trim my nails to round out edges and has not been a problem since.

Not in Thailand, but in the USA, I found that general practicioners couldn't solve the problem, and only toenail surgeons could cure it. As Tywais said, you don't want it to get too infected, or too painful. In my case, the cure was to remove the entire right edge of my big (left) toenail - the nail, down to the root. That's a bit radical, though.

When I was a younger DJT I had chronically infected ingrowing big toenails and after 4 years of continuous infections and wedge ops ended up having both big toenails and the nail beds removed (6 months apart).

Not the most pleasant experience I have ever had but now I don't have big toenails and don't have any problems. :o

In the states you would see a podiatrist - which i did for one of my big toes..and there they inject you with something to numb it, then they cut the nail on the edge..down to where it grows out from the base...then they use a type of chemical that will stop the nail from growing back...they used what looked like a lollipop stick to push the chemical down into the roots ...i felt part of it..more like a torture method - but it worked. Had another one here on the other big toe, at Bumrungrad in the plastic surgery office there - they used a laser to do it...they also cut the nail that is ingrown, down to where it comes up from, then they cut the skin open at the base of the nail so they can "zap" the roots so that the nail on the edge that is ingrown, and , so in the end it won't grow back. Lot's of fun either way.......

Anyone had ingrown toenails surgically treated in Thailand?

Would appreciate a report on the technique, convalescence, results etc.

I had one taken care of at the Bkk Pattaya Hospital ( many years ago b4 they became thieves).

It was done right there on the gurney in the emergency room area , and it sure was a minor surgery.

The infected side of my big toe was slit all the down to the base and the whole nail was removed and the remaining side was stitched up.

Have not had a problem since.

In the states you would see a podiatrist - which i did for one of my big toes..and there they inject you with something to numb it, then they cut the nail on the edge..down to where it grows out from the base...then they use a type of chemical that will stop the nail from growing back...they used what looked like a lollipop stick to push the chemical down into the roots ...i felt part of it..more like a torture method - but it worked. Had another one here on the other big toe, at Bumrungrad in the plastic surgery office there - they used a laser to do it...they also cut the nail that is ingrown, down to where it comes up from, then they cut the skin open at the base of the nail so they can "zap" the roots so that the nail on the edge that is ingrown, and , so in the end it won't grow back. Lot's of fun either way.......

This one?

Phenolization

Following injection of a local anaesthetic at the basis of the toenail and perhaps application of a tourniquet, the surgeon will remove (ablate) the edge of the nail growing into the flesh and cauterize the matrix area with phenol to permanently and selectively destroy the matrix that is manufacturing the ingrown portion of the nail (i.e., the nail margin). This is known as a partial matrixectomy, phenolisation, phenol avulsion or partial nail avulsion with matrix phenolisation. Also, any infection is surgically drained. The podiatrist will wrap the toe and send the patient home with specific instructions on soaking the toe (usually in a solution of warm water, epsom salts and white vinegar) and set up a post operative appointment to monitor the surgically repaired toe. After this date, other suggestions on aftercare will be made, such as salt water bathing of the digit as well as the application of honey to the area in question. The point of the procedure is that the nail does not grow back where the matrix has been cauterized and so the chances of further ingrowth are very low. The nail is slightly (usually one millimeter or so) narrower than prior to the procedure and is barely noticeable one year later. Advantages: the surgery can be performed in the doctor's office under local anaesthesia; minimal pain following the intervention; no need to stop work; no visible scar; nominal chance of recurrence. Disadvantages: the procedure will fail in about 2 to 3 times out of one hundred. Sometimes, alternative chemicals are used in place of phenol due to its toxicity and other properties, silver nitrate is one such substance whose properties may be preferred by some doctors.

?

This has been worrying me.

I had a severe ingrowth on the inside edge of my left big toe nearly twenty years ago when I was in Singapore. An orthopaedic surgeon removed a slice right back to the root, and that has been OK.

But, over the past five years, the other side of that toe and both sides of my right big toe have taken to ingrowing.

I can keep on top of the problem by doing very minor auto-surgery with a pair of 'sideways on' clippers that I bought in the beautician area in Robinson's in Udon Thani. But, if I were totally incapicitated by a stroke, as my mother was, I could be in great pain and unable to tell anybody.

So thank you to those who have posted above. I will get booked in at the Srinakarind teaching hospital at Khon Kaen University and some students can observe how this 'farang' affliction is dealt with.

Hello,

I also used to have chronically infected ingrone toneails on both of my big toes. I was ready to go in for surgery and then I found a podiatrist website that explained how to cure them without surgery. You take a small balls of cotton dipped in antiseptic and you wedge them in under the corner of the nail. Put 2 or 3 balls if possible. After a few days it pulls the ingrone nail out. Also never cut the nail it is better to file them down. It works for me everytime. Maybe give it a try. good luck

I can keep on top of the problem by doing very minor auto-surgery with a pair of 'sideways on' clippers that I bought in the beautician area in Robinson's in Udon Thani. But, if I were totally incapicitated by a stroke, as my mother was, I could be in great pain and unable to tell anybody.

If you've been downed by a stroke, an ingrown toenail would be the least of your worries...

Regular bathroom habits won't be so regular anymore...

Throw in the nasty bed sores and all your relatives who used to care so much...

sigh

I'm opting for sudden death.