What large vans are available in Thailand?

33 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

VW Transporter or Caravelle?

It also depends on your definition of "van".  Are you looking for a commercial vehicle or large van-type vehicle for passenger carrying?

Guy I know is after one for load carrying, only requires the front 2 or 3 seats.

A wild thought; many mainstream manufacturers sell extended, higher roof, much stronger and very comfortable vans in Vietnam. Quite a range available and on the roads.

Maybe search for vans in Vietnam, get some photos and specs, and approach the same manufacturers here in Thailand, see if they can import from Vietnam for you.

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

see if they can import from Vietnam for you

Sorry, but sounds unreal.

First point would be the added cost by the excessive import tax.

Second point: importing from a right-hand drive country?

You want to sit on the wrong side?

28 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Sorry, but sounds unreal.

First point would be the added cost by the excessive import tax.

Second point: importing from a right-hand drive country?

You want to sit on the wrong side?

Sure, there would be import and transport costs.

Yes, needs to be checked whether they can produce the vehicle with the controls on the other side.

I doubt importing from Vietnam will be a starter.

Why not do what the locals do and use a pickup with a covered body.  If thats not large enough. would the Hino 300 or Isuzu Elf 4 wheel trucks work with the right body?  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jitar said:

I doubt importing from Vietnam will be a starter.

Why not do what the locals do and use a pickup with a covered body.  If thats not large enough. would the Hino 300 or Isuzu Elf 4 wheel trucks work with the right body?  

Pickup would be too small. Trucks probably not such a good idea as a reasonably low cargo area in the van is a requirement.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:17 AM, VocalNeal said:

There is the odd Mercedes Sprinter that comes up for sale.

Yes, I see a few Sprinter on the road once in a while, including  some used as ambulance that seem quite new. The Mercedes dealer in Bangkok offer those on their web site. Panel, bus, chassis.. They have it all.

https://www.mercedes-benz.co.th/vans/en/sprinter/

There's also Maxxus which is Chinese bought LDV assembled by the same concerns as MGs, they're launched around 2017 and the sole showroom that I saw still has old stock from back then sitting in the lot.

As you reach a certain threshold weight, vans gets registered as commercial vehicle (big truck numberplate) and you have to show parking space, etc. (The Toyota Hiace has been updated just to barely scrapes by this weight limit)

and unless it's passenger van with seats, will get restricted from entering into Bangkok during rush hour, at which point, it makes more sense to get a local cab chassis like a Hino or Isuzu and build it as a proper trucks instead. 

• Like 2