Where do the transfer if buy a bike from another city?

Agusts

I see many more bikes at more reasonable prices are advertised by farang/expats for sale in bkk,  Pattaya and Chiang Mai than in Phuket. Down here they are mostly ex-rentals and in bad condition, plus overpriced ....! 

So say if I go to another location and buy a bike, should I do the transfer there and then, or bring the bike back and do it in Phuket...!?  

(A bit hypothetical of course,  cost of travelling, hotel and other expenses probably make it dearer than over here, unless going as a holiday... ! lol) 

I would do the transfer in the location you buy it. You don't want to pay the money, take it to Phuket and then find out they won't transfer the bike to your name for some reason.

When you get back to Phuket (with your name in the book already) you can change the plate to a Phuket plate if you wish or you could just leave it as a Bangkok plate. Neither will be an issue.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies,  so if you do it at location that you buy,  my certificate of residence that I guess I need to get before I go is not an issue...!?  They don't say you are residence of Phuket and can't do transfer in Bangkok...!  

Also if bringing it back and doing it in Phuket, I need power of attorney letter from the seller who will not be here I guess...?

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

If you want to transfer it in Bangkok you will need a certificate of residence from Bangkok, which you will only get if you do 90 day reports there. Maybe they would accept a work permit from another province.

Sounds like if you live on Phuket,  need to bring the bike and do the transfer in Phuket...! 

1 hour ago, papa al said:

Get one in Surat Thani.

Haven't seen any farang/expat advertise to sell bike there,  I think not many live there...

And Thais don't look after their bikes at all,  only Thai traders clean it up for sale,  I doubt they ever bother to change oil even, let alone anything else,  why bother while it goes ... lol 

12 hours ago, jackdd said:

If you want to transfer it in Bangkok you will need a certificate of residence from Bangkok, which you will only get if you do 90 day reports there. Maybe they would accept a work permit from another province.

I can confirm they accept work permits from another province. I did a transfer in Chiang Mai with a Bangkok work permit.

On 1/30/2019 at 8:15 AM, JonnyF said:

I would do the transfer in the location you buy it. You don't want to pay the money, take it to Phuket and then find out they won't transfer the bike to your name for some reason.

When you get back to Phuket (with your name in the book already) you can change the plate to a Phuket plate if you wish or you could just leave it as a Bangkok plate. Neither will be an issue.

Good advice. 

Have successfully did it both times I tried, and they used my residence certificate from my home province, so just had to apply for new plates when I got back home. 

2 hours ago, inThailand said:

Good advice. 

Have successfully did it both times I tried, and they used my residence certificate from my home province, so just had to apply for new plates when I got back home. 

That's good info,  so they accepted your resident certificate from the province you lived, in the land registry office of another province (presumably far away)  to do the transfer..., that would be good.

Edited by Agusts

4 hours ago, inThailand said:

Good advice. 

Which is your home province and at which DLT did you do the transfer?

I just talked to an agent In Pattaya who does a lot of transferring,  said farang with 1 year retirement extension need a certificate of residence, and one of those from Phuket can not be used to do a bike transfer in Pattaya DLT...!

8 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I just talked to an agent In Pattaya who does a lot of transferring,  said farang with 1 year retirement extension need a certificate of residence, and one of those from Phuket can not be used to do a bike transfer in Pattaya DLT...!

Got a RC in Pattaya to buy a vehicle there, they did not not accept my home province condo title and book as the address, instead my two day Pattaya hotel bill was good enough for a local address, even though I was going register it back home. Go figure!

Fyi..Did not have at that time RC from my home province, so don't know if Pattaya LTD would have accepted it.

3 hours ago, inThailand said:

Got a RC in Pattaya to buy a vehicle there, they did not not accept my home province condo title and book as the address, instead my two day Pattaya hotel bill was good enough for a local address, even though I was going register it back home. Go figure!

Fyi..Did not have at that time RC from my home province, so don't know if Pattaya LTD would have accepted it.

That's interesting,  the agent was also talking about me staying in a hotel in Pattaya for a few days,  I didn't quite understood what she was on about,  I didn't think I could go and get an RC for that from immigration there.  But if they accept a couple of days hotel bill,  then it make sense...! 

Lots of good condition farang bikes for sale in Pattaya,  compare to mainly Russian and French rental gangs selling their worn out stuff in Phuket, or buy any half descent private sale that comes up in flash for their own rental stock,  they have taken over the market here, and of course they are of Thais ...!  ! ! ????