Top Pakistan court upholds blasphemy acquittal of Christian woman

webfact

Top Pakistan court upholds blasphemy acquittal of Christian woman

By Asif Shahzad

2019-01-29T113518Z_1_LYNXNPEF0S0SN_RTROPTP_4_PAKISTAN-BLASPHEMY.JPG

Paramilitary soldiers stand guard outside the Supreme Court building in Islamabad, Pakistan January 29, 2019. REUTERS/Saiyna Bashir

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Pakistan's Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld the acquittal of Asia Bibi, a Christian woman who spent years on death row after being convicted of blasphemy, dismissing a petition filed by Islamists who have called for her execution.

The decision leaves Bibi, who has been staying at an undisclosed location under tight security, free to leave Pakistan and seek asylum abroad.

"On merit, this petition is dismissed," Chief Justice Asif Saeed Khosa told the court.

In November, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said his country was in talks with Pakistan about helpingBibi. There was no immediate confirmation of her whereabouts or intentions following the verdict.

Canada's foreign ministry stressed the case was a priority for the government.

"We are working with like-minded friends and allies on this issue. Canada is prepared to do everything we can to ensure the safety of Asia Bibi," it said in a statement.

A spokesman for Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland declined to comment when asked whether Bibi might come to Canada.

The case shone a spotlight on Pakistan's strict blasphemy laws and the often difficult conditions facing its Christian minority who make up 1.6 percent of the largely Sunni Muslim country of over 200 million.

Bibi, a farm worker, was convicted in 2010 of making derogatory remarks about Islam after neighbours working in the fields with her objected to her drinking water from their glass because she was not Muslim.

Her conviction was overturned in October, prompting protests from religious hardliners calling for her death and demanding that the government prevent her from leaving Pakistan.

Under pressure from days of protests, the government agreed to stop Bibi leaving until the Supreme Court considered the petition.

Bibi has been in hiding since the Supreme Court freed her in October, after eight years on death row. She has always denied committing blasphemy.

Hours before the Supreme Court decision, Shafeeq Ameeni, acting head of the hardline Tehreek-e Labaik group, which led the protests last year, issued a new warning to the court not to rule in favour of the "blasphemer".

Ameeni was not immediately available for comment. In remarks in court, Chief Justice Khosa was severely critical of the petitioners' attempt to have the judgment reversed.

He said Bibi had been convicted on false evidence and pointed to discrepancies in testimony in the original case.

"You think we give the death sentence to someone on the basis of false evidence?" Khosa said. "Such lies were told that one statement doesn't match with another."

Rights group Amnesty International called for Bibi to be allowed to "reunite with her family and seek safety in a country of her choice".

(Additional reporting by David Ljunggren in Ottawa; Writing by Drazen Jorgic; Editing by Robert Birsel, Robin Pomeroy and Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-30

2 hours ago, webfact said:

----> Bibi, a farm worker, was convicted in 2010 of making derogatory remarks about Islam after neighbours working in the fields with her objected to her drinking water from their glass because she was not Muslim. <----

This is what it was all about ...? No violence involved , just some remarks ?  Muslims should learn to be more tolerant .

8 Years on death row is much too much punishment already ... imagine ...?

I hope that she can start a new life in Canada or somewhere else ...

Seems to be some intelligence in the Top Court. Good.

But time to teach all those "blasphemy muslims" "and we are the supreme and only religion msulims" some humanity.

No matter how much it would hurt their feelings - or even their bodies

3 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

This is what it was all about ...? No violence involved , just some remarks ?  Muslims should learn to be more tolerant .

8 Years on death row is much too much punishment already ... imagine ...?

I hope that she can start a new life in Canada or somewhere else ...

Is their any proof she actually said anything derogatory?

These low educated farm workers dictated to by local Immans know that they can accuse anyone of such remarks ............. and the usually just leave it to the mob to lynch them.

I suspect they despised her for being a christian and when she used a glass they deemed it an insult to far, so made up the stories. 

She's lucky they didn't just beat her to death.

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Better send her here to Canada. Nobody else seems to have the balls to protect these endangered women.

11 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

You base that on Canada's much self publicized decision to grant asylum to one Suadi teenage runaway.

Bravo!

Not good at spelling 'SAUIDI'.. for one thing and......

(Thailand publicised it more than ANY)

It may be possible but that isn't mentioned in HIS comment, However YOU twist it......

I'm not Canadian..... But I certainly admire CANADA for some of their recent 'Humanitarian Efforts' in offering to help this woman as well as the Sauidi Teen, and possible others........

I also think the 'Aussies' deserve credit for offering to help that Sauidi Teen........ OUR Trump doesn't seem to have it in 'HIS heart'.... Sadly..........

So, killingg people, blowing up with bombs.. as long as done by the right faithfull… all is allowed. Women, in fact just a breeding and <deleted> animal, are seen as … yes...

But... a woman, who drinks out of a well, where also the Faitfull want to drink from... THAT's a highest crime of all. And just quote from the histery books, in which Mohammed has the blood of thousands on his hands, and Christ.. only his own blood… THAT is BLASPHEMY... and can only be punished by the capital punishment: death !

In June 2009, Noreen was accused of blasphemy after an argument with co-workers while harvesting berries. In 2010 who was convicted of blasphemy by a Pakistani court and was sentenced to death by hanging. Some reports she didn’t say anything this happened because she was a Christian. 

The UK Home Secretary Sajid Javid MP who says he is no longer a muslin ( see Taqiya to understand this ) and the prime minister appeaser May who when Home secretary who was responsible for the huge increase in Muslim’s coming to the UK have said she can’t come to the UK. Why because we have become so culturally enriched by the carpet sniffers we can’t protect her and she would be killed. 

So the UK can now longer protect people who come to the UK from a backward 3rd world dump because we have let so many of the backward 3rd people into the UK. You could not make this stuff up. 

How Canada is going to protect this poor woman is beyond me as prime minister Trudeau is taking Canada down the same path of culturally enrichment as seen by the Toronto shooting rampage, which left two dead and injured 13, has been identified as Faisal Hussain.

When I was younger (many, many years ago) I was informed by a Sunni muslim  that their form of Islam was very

passive and moderate compared to other varieties. Shiites and so on.

Indonesia is mostly Sunni and was responsible for the Bali bombings.

I now know about the Pakistani fetish for removal of the clitoris from women, honour murder killings and blasphemy laws.

Note that all of these extremes of Islam are mostly directed at women.

Pakistanis regularly murder medical persons who give anti malaria tablets and other vaccines.

Well done to the courts for releasing this poor woman.

But why did it take nearly 10 years to find a non guilty verdict for her.

Why was she ever given a death by hanging verdict.

And if it is true that the Sunni are moderate compared to others, just how much more extreme are the others?

I remember years ago going to Afghanistan to meet my news reporter pal.

Once thing I noticed were that all the women walked behind the men and when I asked him why he explained that it was the custom, "women are inferior to men and therefore walk behind us"

I didn't think about it anymore until last year when I went back to Afghanistan to meet my friend again and I noticed that there had been a huge shift in culture and that the women were now walking IN FRONT of the men.

Assuming that women were now being given equal status I inquired with my friend why this was and he replied

"Land mines"

38 minutes ago, manarak said:

a disappointment is the reason for the acquittal ... "false evidence"

so even the supreme court doesn't want to say that it's wrong to give someone the death sentence for "blasphemy".

Flawed reasoning.

The supreme court won't say anything about that until appealed for that reason.

14 hours ago, jamesy9368 said:

In June 2009, Noreen was accused of blasphemy after an argument with co-workers while harvesting berries. In 2010 who was convicted of blasphemy by a Pakistani court and was sentenced to death by hanging. Some reports she didn’t say anything this happened because she was a Christian. 

The UK Home Secretary Sajid Javid MP who says he is no longer a muslin ( see Taqiya to understand this ) and the prime minister appeaser May who when Home secretary who was responsible for the huge increase in Muslim’s coming to the UK have said she can’t come to the UK. Why because we have become so culturally enriched by the carpet sniffers we can’t protect her and she would be killed. 

So the UK can now longer protect people who come to the UK from a backward 3rd world dump because we have let so many of the backward 3rd people into the UK. You could not make this stuff up. 

How Canada is going to protect this poor woman is beyond me as prime minister Trudeau is taking Canada down the same path of culturally enrichment as seen by the Toronto shooting rampage, which left two dead and injured 13, has been identified as Faisal Hussain.

That nut bar in Toronto according to his book of face bs committed this atrocity due to not being able to get laid.

3 hours ago, wabothai said:

How do you know that?

Because it is a fact. Her daughters have already been taken in by Canada. Here is a link. I await your's.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/canada-looks-to-ensure-safety-of-christian-acquitted-of-blasphemy-in-pakistan-1.4273129

17 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

That nut bar in Toronto according to his book of face bs committed this atrocity due to not being able to get laid.

Different nut. The one needing to get laid was the van driver on Yonge St. The nut the poster refers to was the shooter on The Danforth. They both had long histories of mental illness. 

On 2/2/2019 at 2:23 PM, JemJem said:

The UN should declare that the countries which have the so-called blasphemy laws are violators of human rights.

A long and convoluted road with the UN structure...

General Comment 34 makes it clear that countries with blasphemy laws in any form that have signed the ICCPR are in breach of their obligations under the ICCPR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation_of_religion_and_the_United_Nations

On 2/1/2019 at 9:23 PM, JemJem said:

The UN should declare that the countries which have the so-called blasphemy laws are violators of human rights.

The UN should declare that any country that allows the clitoris to be removed at birth, honour murders, religious murderous extremism, blasphemy laws, jihad and female discrimination should be violators of human rights.  (I almost posted bombed to extinction but have abstained from that) Moderate me.  But that would exclude all of the Islam world. And they have too much oil so forget all that.  It would include lots of other countries as well.  The west is very lenient and forgiving of any country that is absolutely abusive to its citizens but has resources.

The west is just as repugnant as the east, north, south or whatever. No politician knows any morality, only self centered hand washers.

Archived