Advice needed on purchasing ford focus(2014)

Hi all

Been thinking of buying a second hand ford focus 1.6 from 2014 as I like the styling and interior...etc, but after reading so many negative reviews/complaints regarding the transmission/double clutch issues I am getting cold feet and started having a secobd thoughts. Drove one of my friends one(2.0 model) and it was great fun driving. His got his transmission replaced under factory warranty 20,000 km ago and never experirnced any issue since. Should I steer awsy from it? Please share your thoughts. Thank you

Edited by Jumbo chilli

I like the Focus as well. Good value for money. Especially the ST and the new RS. I guess though if you really wanted the 2014 model due to price then I would get the transmission looked at first. Also then, check out if there is a straight fit new retro/aftermarket transmission that you can replace it with should there be any issues down the line. That way your eyes are open to any potential future costs. The rest is just math and economics. 

2 hours ago, Jumbo chilli said:

but after reading so many negative reviews/complaints regarding the transmission/double clutch issues

How many of the transmission/clutch trouble are due to people not understanding the transmission, how it works and how to use it? rather than actual mechanical faults.

Simplistically speaking:

D = looks for the highest gear possible

S = looks for the lowest gear possible ( probably better in slow moving traffic)

3 hours ago, Jumbo chilli said:

His got his transmission replaced under factory warranty 20,000 km ago and never experienced any issue since.

Shouldn't of experienced any issue's in the first place if you ask me.

Toyota and Honda 100,000 kilometre or much more no issue.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 9:52 AM, Snow Leopard said:

I like the Focus as well. Good value for money. Especially the ST and the new RS. I guess though if you really wanted the 2014 model due to price then I would get the transmission looked at first. Also then, check out if there is a straight fit new retro/aftermarket transmission that you can replace it with should there be any issues down the line. That way your eyes are open to any potential future costs. The rest is just math and economics. 

The ST and RS isn't made in Thailand and only one RS was ever imported and nobody is buying it.

Aftermarket automatic transmission? I've never heard of that, ever. If such a thing exists, it is worse than the factory transmission and will break down.

2 hours ago, MatteoBassini said:

The ST and RS isn't made in Thailand and only one RS was ever imported and nobody is buying it.

Aftermarket automatic transmission? I've never heard of that, ever. If such a thing exists, it is worse than the factory transmission and will break down.

B & M and FTI Performance both come to mind for great aftermarket AT

• Thanks 1

Hi all I have a 2013 Ford focus I have done 100000 k The clutch was replaced by Ford as it was faulty This was free .It is a great car and safety's important  Second hand they are great value as there is a lot of negative publicity .Ford is reasonable to fix cheaper than some Honda  .wouldn't swap for a jap model Ps rear light globe 40 B lens was 2000 ..hit by mc Cheers

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Shame because the Fiesta and Focus are both very good cars. My Fiesta has been fine and trouble free for 4 years. Better than some of the Toyota and Honda rubbish i have rented in the past.

You "rubbish" two of the most reliable manufactured rides on the planet.?.????

• Like 2