Is money important to you now you have retired

georgegeorgia

I am on a healthy(ish) budget of AUD $5000 a month. I'd be a pauper back in Aus, but here in the LOS I can live like a king. I still manage to shore pros so don't even have that expense [emoji846]

People living here on $1000 are paupers. You need to sort your shit out as LOS will only become more expensive, what with the influx of chinky and indian $$
One more bragger added to the dirt pile...

Be happy

My ideal budget is 60,000 baht, that said when you add private health cover for family of 2 adults and 4 kids, you can increase that to 70,000 baht, then the annual holiday back to Sydney for a week or 2, then Phuket for a week, you can increase that to 85,000 baht per month, add car and house insurance, school fees for a semi-private school, some imported food, a little alcohol and some loose women every now and again, you will need 100,000 baht per month to LIVE, not talking eating rice, not in my diet.

A lot of guys talk about dying, what about eating healthy, what about exercising, if you are earning 30,000 baht and living in Thailand you are living a frugal life, maybe that's your style, but better planning, hard work, less alcohol over the years and investments, pays off.

Don't get me wrong I am not knocking anyone, but hate it when hear the dollar, the pound has gone down, the stock market, gold has gone down, what that tells me is people didn't plan for their retirement, I did, and retired at 55, no handouts, no pension, no inheritance, yet I can survive on 60,000 baht till I reach 101.

I still maintain my investments, looking for opportunities to make a buck, otherwise I am dipping into my own funds, I do still take on some consultancy work every now and again, although pay 32.5% tax but I still earn 67.5% of my fee, so I am retired, but looking after investments and doing some consultancy work every now and again, gives me the same as I was earning back in Australia, after tax.

Fortunately I can live here on half of what it would cost me to live as I was back in Oz, that said, I can cut things back to live frugally, but have no intention to do so, this is my moment, but I don't waste it either, and I am not eating my kids inheritance, that said, if it means I have to, well I have to, wasn't brought up with a silver spoon and am content with what I have, so the kids will have to be as well.

What I am saying is, if you sit on your ass and have no additional money coming in, your here because you wouldn't survive on it back home, for those of us who busted our guts, invested, and waited, then retired early, have options, some of us choose to keep working at a moderate pace, and look after our investments, and budget, I call that smart.

Buy me a beer next time you see me [emoji846]

4myego. Perfect handle for you 555

Be happy

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bournville said:

One more bragger added to the dirt pile...

Be happy

We are not braggers, would you like us to be wingers like most.

Happy we are, because every $ we earned, we worked for and can afford to LIVE.

So back at you, be happy ????

On 1/31/2019 at 1:42 PM, BritManToo said:

I admit, I am tired of living.

Death would be a welcome change from betrayal and disappointment.

one of the few honest folk on here !    by the time you're in you're 60's ,  for those that have lead an "adventurous"  lifestyle (not the 9 to 5 for 30 years)......  getting older and creakier just ain't much fun.

the irony is,  bm2 and myself are often out exercising so that we might live another day.  masochists ?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rumak said:

one of the few honest folk on here !    by the time you're in you're 60's ,  for those that have lead an "adventurous"  lifestyle (not the 9 to 5 for 30 years)......  getting older and creakier just ain't much fun.

the irony is,  bm2 and myself are often out exercising so that we might live another day.  masochists ?

60 t0 70 was great.  Now I'm slowing a bit and stay on the bottom more. 

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

60 t0 70 was great.  Now I'm slowing a bit and stay on the bottom more. 

everyone's  "use by date"  is different .    i guess one day they will have replaceable parts ( well, hips and knees already available , )   but the bloody lower back sure can make the day unpleasant.   then staying on the bottom is sometimes the default position 

btw... i am nearing 70.  still can't believe it !

Edited by rumak

22 hours ago, Bournville said:

Is money important? Whaaaat? Now that I'm retired? Silliest question of the year...Next

Be happy

<deleted>? Some people retire with a fortune but love laid back almost rule-less Thailand. And some are forced to retire on less savings than they would like and come here because it's cheap. Did you even rub two brain cells together before posting your trite garbage? 

? Some people retire with a fortune but love laid back almost rule-less Thailand. And some are forced to retire on less savings than they would like and come here because it's cheap. Did you even rub two brain cells together before posting your trite garbage? 
Hey you silly rude man! I never got personal.. So f off. Yes.. It's a stupid question. Everyone thinks about money.. Retired or otherwise.

Be happy