Is money important to you now you have retired

georgegeorgia

17 minutes ago, lipflipper said:

Regardless of your money situation here in Thailand you should always keep an eye on your spending. Bill Gates rich or poor as a pauper should not make a difference. I count myself very lucky as I am well off and can enjoy doing what I want here in Chiang Mai but I still try to keep a budget, albeit a liberal one as things come up. Only a foolish person spends their money willy nilly like.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What is there to do in C.M. that needs much money. I spent mine at the Red Lion.:burp:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

however the Thai baht has made many things now more expensive so budgeting to survive

Some things will always increase in price, the Thai baht hasn't made things more expensive for an expat exchange rates have.

Just live to your single or joint baht income when retiring having planned living costs at the baht at it's lowest exchange rate.

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Do you do a monthly budget ? Is money going to last you to live your lifestyle?

I often wonder the farangs i see throwing money away in tips beer etc how they will survive once they retire in Thailand.

At least one member of a couple needs to be financially savvy , its no use both of you not caring about  money , because if you retire at 60 it has to last unless of course your lucky to retire with a few million .

I know theres a difference between the 2 week tourists and the retired expat so budgeting has to be one thing to learn as a retired expat.

I write everything down i spend in Thailand, however the Thai baht has made many things now more expensive so budgeting to survive is a must regardless if you have a big retirement income.

Answers. Yes. I am the savvy one. Been there and done it, now settled. Fill in an Excel every day.

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

I guess if you knew your death date planning life would be so much easier..

You CAN plan it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a matter of organization and watch out for the unnecessary expenses, stay away from the bars. Keep some on the side for the unexpected emergencies so you don't have to cry the blues when they Happen and not be forced into the GO FUND ME option. I play it safe with always having a back up option, but overall it all depends on the person's frugalness

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

It's a matter of organization and watch out for the unnecessary expenses, stay away from the bars. Keep some on the side for the unexpected emergencies so you don't have to cry the blues when they Happen and not be forced into the GO FUND ME option. I play it safe with always having a back up option, but overall it all depends on the person's frugalness

Not particularly frugalness, but being careful, never spend more than comes in. And of course, Health Insurance.

9 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I play it safe with always having a back up option, but overall it all depends on the person's frugalness

Yes, that is certainly one aspect to take into consideration, being frugal, however for me it was about understanding the cost of living here and how much I would need to live the life I wanted to lead, so I set a monetary figure that I would need to achieve before actually making the move to Thailand, and when I made that figure, I made that move.

Luckily enough that "planning" has stood me in good stead and although both part-pensions from the UK and NZ have decreased quite markedly, I wasn't fully relying on them, they were just the icing on the cake, so to speak.

Of course money is important to me, as I want to stay here for the rest of my life, and also want to be able to leave something behind for my daughter here and also for my nieces and nephews overseas.

Having said that, I don't scrimp on anything and shocking as it may sound, my annual wine bill alone comes to about 150,000 baht, but then again I always knew that this was going to be something I would need to consider and build into my budget, so I did.

Funnily enough, I was out last night with friends and one of them was saying how expensive Thailand was as we were eating a meal, and my reply was that sure everything goes up because of inflation and poor exchange rates, but in my opinion, being able to eat a main course meal in a restaurant here for around NZ $12 is cheap. Whereas my friend was disputing that, but he was basing his comments on the fact that he has lived in Thailand for some time, so naturally feels the increase, whereas I haven't lived here as long and I can still compare prices with my home country, and in general I am ok with them here.

So, planning how much one will need, knowing what the cost of living is in the particular country and knowing one's spending habits are important so that they can be controlled if necessary. 

Retiring means the salary has stopped, so income has to come from elsewhere, and that can put pressure on if the investments are not performing, and if one makes "silly decisions" with regards to funding houses up north, farms and taking care of sick buffaloes as well as entering into harebrained schemes, then money becomes even more important, and how.

• Like 1

Working on the 2018 tax recogning for Uncle Sam. All figures not in yet but the plan has been to live on the 65,000 baht a month. Getting shaky this past year as I needed to replace the laptop and iPhone...gulp. If I can hold the line, the Sons get the retirement funds. End of the year Trump dip will make the comparison with last year look anemic (fortunately, looks like a bit of a recovery).

somebody said-'spending the kids inheritence'.... i seriously object to that attitude--this is 2019..i hope not too many of you retirees are saving your money for the next generation ..

i taught my kids to create their own investments-early in life--they have done so---live great lives....

my pension is small, but i have good income from commercial property,  selling more houses over next few yrs...most will go to a charitable trust in nz -when im gone..

[looking after sick kids}...

i still live to a budget, but each year increasing my spending.... i dont think the money is much good to me in my eighties---i like being a butterfly in thailand... im generous with the girls but  not stupid....

im soo glad that i dont have to scrimp in my retirement yrs----but of course i have made many sacrifices in 40 previous yrs , to achieve that ...

once again---we reap what we sow......of course there is the odd exceptions, due to illness etc---

many men use their divorces, as an excuse for having very little in retirement yrs.. thats a feeble excuse...

• Like 2