British man barricades self in Phuket Town condo

snoop1130

Now I've retired and moved over here full time I've bought a condo but previously I rented. I usually paid a month in advance and a month's deposit and got a receipt for both so the landlady should have had two months rent not one.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, malt25 said:

Wow, that's a bit harsh. Why such a condemning comment when you know SFA about the situation ?

The situation is he hasn't paid his rent that is not acceptable no receipt is not a reasonable excuse.

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The situation is he hasn't paid his rent that is not acceptable no receipt is not a reasonable excuse.

It certainly is a reasonable excuse. I would never pay for anything important here unless I got a receipt.

30 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

He is willing to pay the rent though , but he is unwilling to give the rent money to a third parry, without acknowledgement of the payment 

26 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

It certainly is a reasonable excuse. I would never pay for anything important here unless I got a receipt.

My wife don't give receipts for rent either tenants have paid a deposit and signed an agreement etc etc to pay monthly the rent amount and they keep a copy.

It is not reasonable and certainly not way to behave over not getting a receipt if has paid a deposit and signed an agreement what's he worried about.

He should of done something about it at the start not barricade himself in.

Not paying any money for 2 months it's obvious he hasn't got the money to pay is my guess. 

Just now, Kwasaki said:

My wife don't give receipts for rent either tenants have paid a deposit and signed an agreement etc etc to pay monthly the rent amount and they keep a copy.

It is not reasonable and certainly not way to behave over not getting a receipt if has paid a deposit and signed an agreement what's he worried about.

Not paying any money for 2 months it's obvious he hasn't got the money to pay is my guess. 

Did you read the report ?

He is willing to pay rent to the owner , he doesnt want to give the rent money to a third party, without some king of acknowledgment that he paid .

I always get a receipt, just to avoid any "I already paid , No you didnt pay yet" disagreements

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

As far as I know your wife may be committing a crime by not giving a receipt.

I certainly would never rent a condo anywhere without a receipt.

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Really...?

It is MOST REASONABLE to give a receipt for rent.

3 hours ago, hottrader77 said:

i dont think its about not getting receipts for payment of rent , he could have paid the rent directly with her the owner , he is just wanting to stay there free of charge , he is scum and should be removed , he could even go stay somewhere else if he was scared of owners family , when he is taken out he should be jailed till he pays also 

How do you know this ?

32 minutes ago, sanemax said:

He is willing to pay rent to the owner , he doesnt want to give the rent money to a third party, without some king of acknowledgment that he paid .

I always get a receipt, just to avoid any "I already paid , No you didnt pay yet" disagreements

I respect you wanted a receipt but if you didn't get one would you behave in this persons way. ?

35 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

As far as I know your wife may be committing a crime by not giving a receipt.

I certainly would never rent a condo anywhere without a receipt.

Firstly please confirm to me if it's a crime I would be concerned for my wife if it is and it wouldn't be problem to do so.

Secondly I respect your need for a receipt. 

3 hours ago, hobobo said:

Pretty strong words from someone who also has no facts but bases his interpretation on OP and the original article. Mr Maclean could have called you scum for jumping to conclusions, but he's a better man than that.

If you lock yourself in your apartment for 2 weeks, you are an idiot.

49 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Haha when you follow “its obvious” up with “my guess is” then you KNOW your post won’t be taken seriously!!

44 minutes ago, sanemax said:

So why did he give the money to the son for the second month if he didn't get a receipt the first month?

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Or, perhaps more appropriate here, the old joke about the initials of BSA: Better Shoved Anyway.

Thais are usually very fair to farangs regarding late rent but 2 months is the max , I know because mine was 2 months over last month.

22 hours ago, steven100 said:

You can obtain an emergency passport at the Australian embassy within 24 hours as I did some years back. It was their fault at the time if I remember correctly and the lady in charge was only to helpful to assist.

1 minute ago, bizboi said:

Haha when you follow “its obvious” up with “my guess is” then you KNOW your post won’t be taken seriously!!

Haha seriously why support for this idiot and same question to you, if you paid rent and didn't pay for 2 months because the landlord wouldn't give you a receipt you would stay there and barricade yourself in, come on now.

4 hours ago, hottrader77 said:

i dont think its about not getting receipts for payment of rent , he could have paid the rent directly with her the owner , he is just wanting to stay there free of charge , he is scum and should be removed , he could even go stay somewhere else if he was scared of owners family , when he is taken out he should be jailed till he pays also 

That's the problem; you don't think - duh!

4 hours ago, hottrader77 said:

I’m not sure how you gleaned so much from the article. Maybe I wasn’t reading right?

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Haha seriously why support for this idiot and same question to you, if you paid rent and didn't pay for 2 months because the landlord wouldn't give you a receipt you would stay there and barricade yourself in, come on now.

I own my own property so wouldn’t need one - HOWEVER if i did rent i would refer to the contract for the answer to your question. I WOULD expect the landlord to provide a receipt and would deem it breaking the contract if he didn’t. Unfortunately in that situation, even when youre right there is little support for westerners against a Thai landlord - does that answer why people on this forum have a modicum of support for him?

The embassy needs to pay, help out a fellow human.  get him the help he needs, and all Brits need to come to the help of a suffering soul.  Instead, we will bash this idiot for not having common sense, being alone in Thailand and unable to cope, and then doing crazy stuff like locking himself in his room for two weeks.  of course, none of us will do anything..and only laugh if it gets worse.  so, let's hope 100-year jail term, fine of 2 billion baht, and blacklisted from Earth.....

20 minutes ago, bizboi said:

I own my own property so wouldn’t need one - HOWEVER if i did rent i would refer to the contract for the answer to your question. I WOULD expect the landlord to provide a receipt and would deem it breaking the contract if he didn’t. Unfortunately in that situation, even when youre right there is little support for westerners against a Thai landlord - does that answer why people on this forum have a modicum of support for him?

There is very strict regulation for landlords with more than 5 rental properties in Thailand whatever caucasian the renter is western or otherwise.

His behaviour is unreasonable.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Firstly please confirm to me if it's a crime I would be concerned for my wife if it is and it wouldn't be problem to do so.

I believe that there is a Thai law that requires that payments over a certain amount must get a receipt. I dont know the details because I dont operate any sort of business here and never will.

Even if there is no law that requires this I think that anyone receiving payments of more than a few hundred Baht has a moral obligation to issue a receipt, and the purchaser should not really even have to ask for it. Obviously this would not apply to very small purchases like a bowl of noodles, but a month's rent in a decent condo is a significant sum and without a receipt the tenant cannot prove that he has abided by his contract (unless he pays by direct bank transfer, in which case that acts as a receipt anyway).

Archived