Foreigners now need to keep 800k in Thai bank for three months AFTER retirement extension is granted

18 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Please do not go on. Those examples are not analogous! I have provided you with the relevant analogies.

Explain why it's ok to call a visa issued for tourism a Tourist Visa, BUT it's not ok to call a visa issued for retirement a Retirement Visa.

Quite right.

A jelly baby isn't a baby.

A hot dog isn't a dog.

A Chinese burn isn't Chinese.

A hamburger isn't made from ham.

A non O-A visa is not a retirement visa. (added at the request of @notamember)

Just a few of life's mysteries.

Edited by Spidey
Request from notamember
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

So why do you call extension for over-50 "retirement extension" ? Same problem.

its an extension of a non immigrant type visa for the purposes of retirement in Thailand, whether you are retired outside Thailand or not

a retirement extension can be based on an O-A, B, ED, O and other non immigrant type visas 

Edited by notamember

32 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I am well aware of the rules. You said it was "illegal". It's not. It's against the rules not to apply in person.

so its not 1900 baht then?

or

in your playbook, thats not a law but a rule

is that something that can be legally bypassed?

Edited by notamember

56 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

David, a question here. Do you have to attend the Thai embassy in Canberra in person, or can it be done by mail or on the internet?

I live in Western Australia when and applying for a "Retirement Visa" technically known as a O-A   M at the Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra 4000kms away.  If I ask about a Retirement visa the staff at the Embassy know exactly what I'm talking about.  That is I want to buy a retirement visa so I can go and retire in Thailand.  taking to a friend of mine in my home he asked what sort of visa do you need to retire.  I said"a Thailand O-A multi- entry visa" he said what the hell is that.  I said "it's a Thai Retirement visa".  He said now I know what you're talking about?

To answer your question...Yes, it quite simple, you just fill in all the information required as shown on the retirement application form section called  "Retirement Visa" (fair dinkum) At the Thai Embassy in Canberra,  It also tells you on the application form that Retirement visas are only issued by an Embassy. (Canberra).  The application form says it must include an Information sheet. Copies of passport and pics, medical, police check from the post office in W.A, bank statements as required.  Get a money order from the post office for $275.  3 set of all the required information. Get everything signed by a JP or CD, inside your letter include a self-address express return envelope (very important) to get visa passport etc back.  Just follow the instructions about getting a Retirement Visa in Australia for Thailand.  Your mail can be tracked from the post office and the Embassy will usually send you a tracking number also.    http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

PS make sure when you are talking to anyone about a Thai retirement visa you put the proppa name...

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay) mulit-entry Retirement Visa.   The customers will know what you're talking about? as shown on the Thai Embassy web site

Edited by David Walden
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, notamember said:

its an extension of a non immigrant type visa for the purposes of retirement

The purpose... in 10 or 20 years sometimes !

Fact is you don't need to be a retiree to get this "retirement extension"

so, following your logic, we should not call it this way...

BTW why did this news thread turned itself into a immigration naming thread ? :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, David Walden said:

I live in Western Australia when and applying for a "Retirement Visa" technically known as a O-A   M at the Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra 4000kms away.  If I ask about a Retirement visa the staff at the Embassy know exactly what I'm talking about.  That is I want to buy a retirement visa so I can go and retire in Thailand.  taking to a friend of mine in my home he asked what sort of visa do you need to retire.  I said" an thailand O-A multi- entry visa" he said what the hell if that.  I said "it's a Thai Retirement visa".  He said now I know what your talking about?

To answer your question...Yes, it quite simple, you just fill in all the information required as shown on the retirement application form section called  "Retirement Visa" (fair dinkum) At the Thai Embassy in Canberra,  It also tells you on the application form that Retirement visas are only issued by an Embassy.  The application form says it must include an Information sheet. Copies of passport and pics, medical, police check from the post office in W.A.).  Get a money order from the post office for $275.  Get everything signed by a JP or CD. inside your letter include a self-address express return envelope (very important) to get visa passport etc back.  Just follow the instructions about getting a Retirement Visa in Australia for Thailand.  Your mail can be tracked from the post office and the Embassy will usually send you a tracking number also.

i wonder if they have to call it that so he can understand what it is?

someone on here said he was an aussie and they were right

i remember he went 5 rounds with UJ and lost on points before

is he coming back for a rematch?

Edited by notamember
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, David Walden said:

I live in Western Australia when and applying for a "Retirement Visa" technically known as a O-A   M at the Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra 4000kms away.  If I ask about a Retirement visa the staff at the Embassy know exactly what I'm talking about.  That is I want to buy a retirement visa so I can go and retire in Thailand.  taking to a friend of mine in my home he asked what sort of visa do you need to retire.  I said" an thailand O-A multi- entry visa" he said what the hell if that.  I said "it's a Thai Retirement visa".  He said now I know what your talking about?

To answer your question...Yes, it quite simple, you just fill in all the information required as shown on the retirement application form section called  "Retirement Visa" (fair dinkum) At the Thai Embassy in Canberra,  It also tells you on the application form that Retirement visas are only issued by an Embassy.  The application form says it must include an Information sheet. Copies of passport and pics, medical, police check from the post office in W.A.).  Get a money order from the post office for $275.  Get everything signed by a JP or CD. inside your letter include a self-address express return envelope (very important) to get visa passport etc back.  Just follow the instructions about getting a Retirement Visa in Australia for Thailand.  Your mail can be tracked from the post office and the Embassy will usually send you a tracking number also.

As an Australian, you should know that you don't have to be an amputee to get a wooden leg. Rolf Harris said so.

Oops, did I swear then?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, notamember said:

someone on here said he was an aussie and they were right

i remember he went 5 rounds with UJ and lost on points before

is he coming back for a rematch?

US vs Aussie. My money's on the Aussie.

maybe this will just cause more confusion, but if i recall correctly (no, i dinna take a photo!), last time at CW for extension, there was an information flyer posted on one of the room dividers giving instructions for the extension of the "retirement visa."

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

My 2 cents and interpretation.

Same conditions as (4), means a combination of funds in the bank and income must total 800K for 2 months prior to the date of application and for 3 months after.

You can then withdraw on the funds, but must leave 400K in the bank as per same conditions as (4).

That would mean the minimum fund requirement for a combo would always have to be maintained at 400K.

The income level would be circa 40K per month throughout the year transferred into a Thai bank in order to total the 800K for the year.

However if you have to maintain 800K for 2 months prior to and for 3 months after the extension as it seems to suggest, that would be ridiculous. If your one of the nationals who still obtains an Embassy letter just how would that work if they had to maintain an account of 800K for 5 months, then can only draw down on 400K. It defeats the object.

That is very different from my interpretation so just goes to show how unclearly worded (and thought through) this is.

There is no requirement to not spend funds under the monthly income method so would not seem to make sense to have to have any of the income unspent. And for many people the income would come to more than 400K in a year. Mine for instance would be around 700 - 730K.

And there is no "seasoning" requirement for income funds so it would not be income received as of 2 months beforehand (i.e. 10 month income) involved but the annual income.

Under the prior rules, the only thing that had to be seasoned was the deposit top up of amount equal to the difference between income and 88K. I would expect that still to be the case.

But if even we can't decipher this, no way are IOs going to have a uniform understanding.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 11:02 AM, Pib said:

It's per all you accounts at any individual bank.  Let's say we are already in the period were the coverage is Bt1M. If you had one, two, or three (or more) accounts that totaled up to say Bt1M at Bangkok Bank, then you have full 100% cover for your Bt1M.  But if you say had Bt2M in those Bangkok Bank accounts you would only be covered for Bt1M max from the govt...but still may end-up getting some more payback once the bank's assets are liquidated/sold off if the govt took that route.

OK, but lets say you "also" had accounts at SCB bank...basically repeat what I said above effectively giving you another Bt1M coverage. 

By having your money at multiple Thai "banks" (not "branches" of the same parent bank), you can get more coverage.

So, it's best to have you money in more than one Thai bank (i.e., Bangkok Bank, SCB, K-bank) to get more coverage.

Good information to know, but that amounts seems low, and having multiple accounts spread all over Thai banks sounds like a pain in the butt!!

18 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

maybe this will just cause more confusion, but if i recall correctly (no, i dinna take a photo!), last time at CW for extension, there was an information flyer posted on one of the room dividers giving instructions for the extension of the "retirement visa."

not for me, i know what its called by many but i also know that its not what it is

i also know that immigration have to refer to it as that because of foreigners who know no better

Imagine that? a Thai having to dumb down to make a farang understand

Whatever next ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

Please do not go on. Those examples are not analogous! I have provided you with the relevant analogies.

Explain why it's ok to call a visa issued for tourism a Tourist Visa, BUT it's not ok to call a visa issued for retirement a Retirement Visa.

because an O-A visa is not issued specifically for retirement purposes

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Good information to know, but that amounts seems low, and having multiple accounts spread all over Thai banks sounds like a pain in the butt!!

For the typical Thai making Bt10K-30K/month and spending almost every penny of it on living costs they will not have Bt1M in savings.  So Bt1M coverage is really more than enough for the majority of Thais.   Govt bank deposit coverage in "any country" was never designed to cover everyone's deposits, especially the rich who have BIG money on deposit.  

I don't see any pain in having bank accounts in more than one Thai bank....like one account with Bangkok Bank and one with SCB.  What makes that so hard to manage...a pain?  Usually to get the best deals a person needs to have accounts at multiple banks...haven't found a bank yet that is the "bank that fits everyone's needs and provides all the best banking deals."

22 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

An O-A visa may be issued for retirement purposes.  And "Retirement Visa" is the term most used by Thai Immigration officers. 

a non immigrant non O-A visa is not issued specifically for retirement purposes

no more than an O visa is or a B visa is or an ED visa is

whilst they and many other non immigrant type visas can support a retirement extension they are not issued for retirement purposes either

there is no specific non immigrant visa that is specifically named or issued specifically to be used to support a retirement extension

Its more 100 times moire common for a single entry non immigrant O visa be used to support a retirement extension than it is to use a non O-A visa

An O-A visa is a long stay visa not a retirement visa

no matter how many ways you want to slice and dice it, it just is not

Just because immigration have to dumb down and use the term to make sure foreigners understand what they think they mean , it is still not a retirement visa

Roman there is no specific retirement visa in Thailand

that Q tip in your ear?

stop pushing, you are there

download.jpg

Edited by notamember
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Canuck50 said:

Thanks for the advice...I will consider that although I am so discouraged with ongoing changes and attitudes here, seemingly designed to force people out, that if I do come back next year I will likely only stay for a few weeks, if at all. Their loss as they are driving out good people who spend substantial money here to other countries who apprciate it more!

Spot  on ,  if i was not in a relationship , involving a loving  child ,

i would  be out of this anti farlang regime . asap. 

46 minutes ago, notamember said:
1 hour ago, ChouDoufu said:

// last time at CW for extension, there was an information flyer () giving instructions for the extension of the "retirement visa."

I also know that immigration have to refer to it as that because of foreigners who know no better

No, they refer to Retirement Visa because it is the visa for which we get this extension.

The stamp in my passport shows clearly: Visa class: NON-RE  (for Retirement :wink:)

Visa-Non-RE.jpg

Edited by Pattaya46

Spot  on ,  if i was not in a relationship , involving a loving  child ,
     i would  be out of this anti farlang regime . asap. 
All bashers have an excuse. I would leave except.. Blah blah blah

Why not be an amazing dad and give your child a first world education?

To many dead beat dads here more interested in a cruzy lifestyle and their happy hour circle of mates

38 minutes ago, madmen said:

All bashers have an excuse. I would leave except.. Blah blah blah

Why not be an amazing dad and give your child a first world education?

To many dead beat dads here more interested in a cruzy lifestyle and their happy hour circle of mates

OK Genius , where is the first world education ,  your country of origin,?

Are you a real expat from  uk , usa , oz ,  countries  with historical pride. 

Edited by elliss

48 minutes ago, notamember said:
52 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You're right, but the PERMIT (which can be described as a form of visa) has been stamped with "Retirement".

Visa

"an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country."

but not VISA and everyones stamp says that

thats a fact that we have to agree on despite your meanderings to the contrary

I agree; nowhere on an extension stamp is it called a visa, but neither is it stamped with what it is, which is a ‘Permit’.

If you want to be pedantic and stop people referring to it as a “Retirement Visa”; the correct short hand description should be ‘Retirement Permit’.

As the overwhelming majority of travelers refer to anything stuck or stamped in a passport as a visa (in line with the general definition); and a permit can be described, by definition (google it) as a visa; I don’t see the problem with referring to a Retirement Permit as as Retirement Visa. And agents, lawyers, immigration, embassies etc. seem to agree.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, notamember said:

but its not is it, it is not a retirement visa and calling it so over and over will not make it so

you are like a guy watching titanic movie and think the ship will not sink 

2 hours ago, notamember said:

because an O-A visa is not issued specifically for retirement purposes

Except when it’s marketed, bought and used as a retirement visa. Then it indisputably is.