New retiree visa rules bewilder Thai immigration: Source

24 minutes ago, smedly said:

if they want to check if someone cheated the seasoning rules using and agent and bribing an IO - all they have to do is check the used bank account and it will clearly show the 800k baht was deposited and withdrawn on the same day as the extension application, no need at all for this stupid nonsense

Not sure what the rules are here as far as accessing private banking-info - but for that to work, every applicant's account would need to be monitored/checked.

2 minutes ago, moonseeker said:

In many respects prices here have surpassed many European countries. 

Which ones?  And I mean nice ones, with beaches and warm weather - like you find in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and The PI? 

Keep in mind, the visa-costs for staying in Cambodia and the PI are about $350 (11K Baht) / year.  That doesn't include any "money in the bank," etc.  The PI also has retirement-plan options, which skip the renewals and pesky "every-3rd-year" border-bounce flight.

As more people leave Thailand for those locations, business will build up to support those populations, as Thailand languishes.

34 minutes ago, moonseeker said:

The misery I have witnessed with many foreigners  in my 24 years in TH, due to not having health coverage at all is unreal and not needed. Fully acceptable, that a government does not want low-end and irresponsible foreigners burdening their system.

What was the sample-size of that study?  I have yet to hear any official numbers of unpaid-hospital costs from foreigners.  I wonder what tiny percentage of the VAT taxes we pay it amounts to?

I also support a form of health-insurance - but for every foreigner, including short-term tourists.  Younger people take more risks, after all.  Of course, that would mean the Chinese visitors would have to buy it - and a huge portion of them cannot even afford paying full-price for their VOA - so probably won't happen or TAT's "how many visitors" numbers would crash, with many "Can barely afford the package-tour with discount VOA" Chinese filtered out.

If implemented, it would not be expensive - just a "Stabilize and Send Home" plan to handle the occasional broke-injured/sick foreigner is all that is needed to ensure no Thai ever has to pay for a foreigner's medical problem.

4 minutes ago, moonseeker said:

The often used "I just fly home, if I get ill" , is not a reasonable statement, as we all know.

Agreed.  That is the solution for long-term illness, of course - unless one has health-insurance or money to pay the Thais, in which case they could stay.  Where the "fly home" plan fails, is with initial treatment for moto or jet-ski accidents and acute illness that requires treatment to allow safe repatriation.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

I was at CW today, and officer with whom I spoke indicated that three months’ worth of seasoning - not two - were required of me for a retirement extension.

I think people are getting a bit mixed up. It was (is?) two months for the FIRST retirement permit then three months for subsequent extensions.

This was down to people coming in on the Non-Imm O then applying for a bank account and therefore 90 days was not feasible.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

I was at CW today, and officer with whom I spoke indicated that three months’ worth of seasoning - not two - were required of me for a retirement extension.

What did you want he reply else? You were wrong assuming it would already be 2 months.

He is right: The rule today is 3 months; Next month it will be 2 months

• Confused 2

55 minutes ago, Thailand said:

When you come to renew would be the simple answer, they would simply look at your bank book/account over the whole year, if it did not meet requirements then no extension.

The only sense I can make of your  reply is that you mean at the time of a consecutive application for extension rather than the first one after new requirements take effect. It would/does make sense if it were to be the  situation.

• Confused 1

If BJ keeps going down this road he won't have too many foreigners left in LOS.  Just keep squeezing BJ and at the end of it all it will be just another case of som nom naaaa!!  you make ya bed... now sleep in it!!
I THINK the BJ stellar rise to superstar is over. I think he just fell on his sword [emoji16]
  • Like 2

so many contradictions it's unbelievable or are we missing something, Big Joke said

""""I can guarantee it will be easy to apply and live here,” Surachate said. “[But] bad people will have a hard time.”

Proposed changes include abolishing 90-day reports and introducing 10-year visas for foreign retirees, Surachate said.

“My goal is to make visitors to our country, whether here for tourism or business, feel safe,” said Surachate,  ..here he said visitors thus tourist not retirees

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I'm just glad I can show a monthly income into a Thai bank for well above the required 65K a month.  With recently printed out deposits from my bank for the past year.  

I don't use a retirement visa as I'm not old enough but I do transfer at least 100k Baht into my Thai account every month so I guess that's always an option in a few years time if I don't go with the 20 year Elite visa that is.