New retiree visa rules bewilder Thai immigration: Source

35 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Maybe soon they'll promote him and hand him the reins of something more important. My suggestion is to put him in charge of the air pollution crisis and solving Bangkok's traffic problems. Fix these and he'd be a real hero of the people. 

Maybe better suited as,  Head Monk

He can then root out the pedophiles, drugs, alcohol and thieves. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

This is the thing that changed. the money now not only needs to be seasoned in advance (seemingly 2 rather than 3 months) but also cannot be touched for 3 months after, and even then only half of it can ever be spent.

it is basically a 400K bond that has to be posted and maintained. But badly worded/designed.

how will this be policed?

bringing updated passbooks every time you do a 90-day?

Edited by melvinmelvin
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

I'm not talking about myself, I'm nowhere near 75, and I can bring in the required income if I decide to use that method. But your comments completely ignore the large number of long-term older expats who had planned for their retirement prudently and have been hit by poor exchange rates, in spite of them still having plenty enough to live on. 

Risk of exchange rate variations is part of the expat experience. Prudence or otherwise one's own factoring in. Nobody else's responsibility.

14 hours ago, Banana7 said:

If you don't like the new rules, consider the Philippines Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV).  Search here on Thaivisa for "SRRV" to learn more.

Just read this, seems simpler and fairer then Thailand, not to mention cheaper. Deposit is a one time 20,000 usd and you can withdraw and invest locally with it. Seems much better then Thailands ever complicated visa application processes. Seems the new rules are simply designed to push out the foreigners, well it's working a treat so they should be applauded for their success.

I also hear quite a few retirees going to Spain, heard this a lot now as Asia is just not worth the effort for what is not a lot cheaper and frankly Spains weather is better. Also, if European then easier for language and healthcare.

I still work here but hearing the retirees around me unless you are stuck with family time to get out of LOS.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tropo said:

Are you sure? There was a recent report that this will not be an option at the Jomtien immigration office. Only an Income letter or bank deposit would be accepted.

Did you not understand - I can show a monthly income into a Thai bank ????

How are they going to check the accounts.?

Does this mean we must take our bank books to immigration end of every month?plus a verification letter from the bank?..the banks are going to need more staff and immigration are going to need more offices.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

The issues for many (not me), at a high level, include the following:

1. They deny retirees the opportunity to work and earn an income in the country

2. The local investments are horrible and poorly managed in their tiny stock market riddled with corruption in insider trading

3. They deny retirees the ability to securely own their own property (and land)

4. They provide no reasonable long-term option that is not year-by-year

5. Now they are encouraging retirees to make a decision between locking up a significant amount of money for many in what is effectively a loss-making account or subjecting themselves to the instability of the currency markets and fluctuations

6. Further, transferring money into and out of Thailand easily is complicated by the fact that Thailand is on nearly every global financial list of "trouble countries" requiring correspondent banks and other workarounds -- where in stable, better placed countries, one can simply use one of the many services (like Paypal and others) to move money around with minimal fees and with maximal speed.

Edit:

7. Finally, the rules and regulations keep changing, and these clowns in the bureaucracy can't even agree on them putting many retirees in a high anxiety situation not knowing what to expect or when the rules will change again, randomly, without much planning or other thought process, and impact them negatively.

8. Now they are also thinking up brainless healthcare requirements that force retirees to opt into what will almost surely be poor health insurance options.

Are those enough issues?

1. Who cares about working if you are living in Thailand and retired.

2. No one is asking you to invest your money there. It's still allowable to transfer 65,000 per month.

3. Not true. You can own a condo if you desire.

4. Agreed.

5. see #2.

6. Not true. Many people have no problem doing it.

7. Agreed.

8. No proof of this as of yet however everyone should have healthcare insurance. You can't assume the healthcare options will be poor until the options are laid out.

• Confused 2

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

This is the thing that changed. the money now not only needs to be seasoned in advance (seemingly 2 rather than 3 months) but also cannot be touched for 3 months after, and even then only half of it can ever be spent.

it is basically a 400K bond that has to be posted and maintained. But badly worded/designed.

I have an open end fund with SCB called +A , SCB pays about 1,5% and the money is always available . And it is accepted by Immigration . It just needs to be more than 8 cen baht ...