Norwegian left "speechless" after Chiang Mai immigration sing Happy Birthday, present cake to retiree

rooster59

Norwegian left "speechless" after Chiang Mai immigration sing Happy Birthday, present cake to retiree

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTUzMy83NjY1NDI2L2FkYXNmLmpwZw==.jpg

Image: Sanook

Sanook said that a Norwegian who arrived at Chiang Mai immigration to renew his retirement visa was left speechless after staff sang Happy Birthday and presented a cake with candles. 

"Mr John", aged 64, didn't know what to say - Sanook just suggested that he was overcome with joy and happiness at the consideration shown by the wonderful officials. He had arrived with his Thai wife.

Deputy at Region 4 immigration Pol Col Phallop Suriyakun said it was all part of Lt-Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn's policy to impress visitors to immigration. 

He said that immigration knows your birthday and if it falls on the day of a visa extension you can expect an announcement over the loudspeaker. The ladies will do the rest with singing happy birthday and a cake. 

Apparently it wasn't Mr John's actual birthday - but it was near enough.

Sanook called it a "new dimension" in service from the immigration department. 

Thaivisa notes that it came at the end of a week when immigration has faced a fair degree of criticism for taking a new tack on the financial rules associated with retirement extensions. 

Also, posters on Thaivisa have been critical of Chiang Mai immigration in the past though since Big Joke's high profile appointment last year many have reported an improvement there. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-02

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

I am beginning to think that all of immigration are as mad as a box of frogs. Nice enough gesture, but really? 

What we see as "irrational behaviour" here is sometimes driven by the relationship between a subordinate and their boss. This relationship is opaque and has very considerable vertical distance in Thailand. That is to say the boss can drastically affect the subordinate's lives either positively or negatively. It is something along the lines of a medieval lord and his serfs.

This birthday cake stunt may well have had nothing to do with "Mr John", the Norwegian, and everything to do with trying to project an image to their overlords in Bangkok that Chiang Mai Immigration was no longer hostile to its foreign users.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

What a nice gesture, bit different to Khonkaen, they only want a photo..... Not of me but my catheter bag.????

Ah, but was it your birthday when they photographed your catheter bag?

That's probably why you and your bag aren't in the photo as 'Exhibit A' like the cake.

22 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Apparently it wasn't Mr John's actual birthday - but it was near enough.

But it's the thought that counts, no?

23 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Deputy at Region 4 immigration Pol Col Phallop Suriyakun said it was all part of Lt-Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn's policy to impress visitors to immigration. 

Failed to impress TV's inveterate immigration bashers either - but it was near enough.

what a blatant attempt at damage control by immigration after yesterdays, monthly shifting of the goal posts and bureaucracy expansion with relation to retirement visa's. Thaivisa is being used as a propaganda arm for the immigration department, daily news of immigration round ups, crime reporting, trying to shape falang perception. The immigration offices are not much better than meat processing centers. Anyone else here had someone smile at them at immigration recently, let alone sing you a song? <deleted> this is. Thaivisa has become a propaganda distribution and intelligence gathering organization for the Thai military

17 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

What we see as "irrational behaviour" here is sometimes driven by the relationship between a subordinate and their boss. This relationship is opaque and has very considerable vertical distance in Thailand. That is to say the boss can drastically affect the subordinate's lives either positively or negatively. It is something along the lines of a medieval lord and his serfs.

This birthday cake stunt may well have had nothing to do with "Mr John", the Norwegian, and everything to do with trying to project an image to their overlords in Bangkok that Chiang Mai Immigration was no longer hostile to its foreign users.

If he were to walk outside, get a taxi and then said driver finds his wallet, then my head is going to explode! 

EXPLODE.gif

32 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

He said that immigration knows your birthday

33 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Apparently it wasn't Mr John's actual birthday

Wonder what they actually know. They know where I live (after all the 90 day reports I've made) but still needs a new report every 90 days,why is that?

18 minutes ago, 555mike said:

what a blatant attempt at damage control by immigration after yesterdays, monthly shifting of the goal posts and bureaucracy expansion with relation to retirement visa's. Thaivisa is being used as a propaganda arm for the immigration department, daily news of immigration round ups, crime reporting, trying to shape falang perception. The immigration offices are not much better than meat processing centers. Anyone else here had someone smile at them at immigration recently, let alone sing you a song? <deleted> this is. Thaivisa has become a propaganda distribution and intelligence gathering organization for the Thai military

great post mike, most people who still believe they are being savvy when living on this land have their eyes closed and think of fairer rules of law societies, without thinking of the huge intelligence gathering of the junta in all aspects of society. Internet and social media and free to access forums have become easy fodder for propaganda, its the battleground of control that they been learning from their partners the chinese state

38 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Wonder what they actually know. They know where I live (after all the 90 day reports I've made) but still needs a new report every 90 days,why is that?

It's genuine concern about you and your health. They do worry about you and need to know you're well.

No other reason has ever occurred to me.

My fellow Norwegian doesn't look too convinced in the picture, maybe he was expecting a deportation instead. Now he can relax for another year. And wait for another birthday cake, 

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I am beginning to think that all of immigration are as mad as a box of frogs. Nice enough gesture, but really? 

It's not how you expect such things to be at home, but it is the Thai way of doing things.

Is it wrong? NO!!!

I for one don't want everything to look the same as my original country. 

I read about all the problems with immigration but I have to say that I find them all to be crap. 

Maybe  pathum thani is in the twilight zone  but I had never in 9 years had any issues with them 

Just did my annual extension  in 45 minutes including my new residence and 90day.

The only thing different was they kept maybankkimeng statement and my letter

It was a nice gesture. Now, if they would only stop picking on ex-pats, by continually raising the bar, in terms of their requirements for marriage and retirement visas. Perhaps this was a PR stunt, to make up for the increasingly draconian rules and regulations. Keep money in the bank 90 days AFTER the visa is approved. Give me a break. Do you really want us all to leave/ Really? Are you guys really that dim witted? No ability to see the big picture on any level? 

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

It's not how you expect such things to be at home, but it is the Thai way of doing things.

Is it wrong? NO!!!

I for one don't want everything to look the same as my original country. 

Forgive me, but all that I need and want from IOs is for them to be efficient in getting  me through and out the door,  know their own rules and apply them consistently and not take back handers. Exhibitions like this one leave me cold.  

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

What a nice gesture, bit different to Khonkaen, they only want a photo..... Not of me but my catheter bag.????

You're lucky. I never get asked for photos at KK. Next time I have to visit, I'll complain.

Archived