Thailand Vs Malaysia

Rsee

The Perhentian Islands, my favourite place.

post-16343-1172411451_thumb.jpg

redrus

Yes, very beautiful indeed...

but:

"As the state of Terengganu follows Islamic customs, the consumption of alcohol and wearing of immodest clothing are discouraged. In order not to offend local inhabitants, tourists are advised to consume alcohol discreetly and to wear one-piece bathing costumes. No penalties are imposed on tourists for 'breaches' of the local customs, however."

The latter is (just a bit) encouraging though...is it? :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perhentian_Islands#Tourism

LaoPo

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Casanundra, perhaps you'd like to read the sentence again . . it contains the word 'law'. There is no such law in Thailand that discriminates based on race and religion of their own citizens.

You are quite correct in your assessment in that there is no specific 'law' that discriminates on religion and race of its own citizens here in Thailand, indeed Thailand has even ratified itself to the UN treaty for Human rights as well, but funnily enough that doesn't seem to have stopped Thailand committing breaches of those basic fundamental human rights though.

This is Thailand and what is done under the banner of the law and what is done in the name of the law and how that law is being interpreted is a completely different thing. That's the subtle point I was trying to get across with my rather glib remark.

Thailand is governed under civil law and is not subject to common law. As such they are free to interpret it as they see fit and in the absence of any precedent or case law to fall back on to guide them, then it simply means that a Thai judge or practitioner of law here is likely to form his or her own opinion based on their own interpretation of the 'facts' presented to them at that time and let's not forget that this is of course after it has gone through several layers of corrupt filtering before it even gets to that stage.

If we are going to talk about the letter of the law and Thailand in the same context then we need to at least acknowledge that the law in Thailand is a faceless and very often toothless leopard that changes its spots on a daily basis. Oh and don't forget that the 1997 constitution law was recently abolished here and is currently being redrafted with shall we say a rather biased slant to it as well. So yeah, there is no law that discriminates like Malaysia does but then again there is no top level law in Thailand now either.

At the end of the day, Thailand need to show me that it doesn't display clear racial bias here amongst its citizens as well as discriminating people based on their nationality / skin colour first and then have that actually backed up with a law that actually protects. When that happens, then and only then will I be happy to say that yes, the word 'law' has a meaning here in Thailand. Thankfully I won't be holding my breath in anticipation on that one ever happening because I am not sure I would actually survive it.

back to the original OP and putting life in Malaysia / Thailand aside for a moment, there is no argument to be had that doesn't say that Thailand still needs to sit up and look at around at what other countries are doing to open up the playing field to foreign investment and at the moment Thailand is increasingly pushing itself down a rather insular road.

In Malaysia it is entrenched in law that anyone who is not Muslim Malay Malaysian has fewer rights than they.

There is no such thing as a non muslim Malay.

It is a contradiction in terms.

Non muslim Malysian is a totally different kettle of fish.

As for the language, it is pretty limited, but then so is Thai............

ice = hard water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Correction - ice = air batu = water rock.

There's also a simpler version where you simply say 'ais' [pronounced ice].

That's the usual term the locals use.

In Malaysia it is entrenched in law that anyone who is not Muslim Malay Malaysian has fewer rights than they.

ice = hard water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I believe the term was translated from Thai, not bahasa malayu. :o

As for swimming rules and regs, two states still have it in their statutes that men and women are not allowed to use the same pool at the same time.

Yup, the Thailand-expats would just love Malaysia! :D

As an aside, here are a few details on the situation I mentioned earlier:

Here's a section of the Langkawi incident:

"On Oct 12, Barnhart, 62, and his wife Carole, 61, were in their rented condominium in Kuah when enforcement officers continuously knocked on their door at 2am, accusing them of committing khalwat (close proximity).

He said the officers demanded to see his marriage certificate, although he had told them that they were Christians and should not be subjected to Islamic law......" (for full article -pls refer to MM2H section).

My questions:

1. Does Khalwat have jurisdiction over foreigners living here

2. If a foreigner who is a Muslim and his/her spouse is a Non-Muslim Malaysian, would the Foreign Muslim spouse be targeted by the Religious Police as having committed Khalwat because spouse is not a Muslim

(I asked this because I have a couple friend from the UK, the husband is thinking of applying for MM2H - the wife is still Malaysian, but the husband is a foreigner who is a "non-practising Muslim. I'm just worried for them incase they come here and get into such awful troubles).

So, if your taste in ladies is for darker skin then definitely stay in Thailand or you could be charged, beaten or goodness knows what else.

As for Lao Po . . . agreed, Thailand is easily one of the most difficult places to do business . . . at least in Malaysia you know up front who to bribe, and he will be a Malay.

Another point to this - you wish to have a company that could possibly deal with the government in any way? You must have a Malay GM and pay him accordingly. There are scores of Malays who do nothing but lend their name to companies for their letterhead . . . and you have to pay them well . . .

Malaysia better than Thailand? :o

I have properties in JOhore Bahru( House and a Condo) (Malaysia) Just across the causeway from Singapore.

Home Rentals in Malaysia is 70% Cheaper than Thailand

Food is better served and cheap in Thailand

Security : MAlaysia is better

malaysian customs officers are much more polite.

This is true

In terms of setting up Business companies. I say Thailand is much more better than Malaysia.

Edited by tytus

The Perhentian Islands, my favourite place.

post-16343-1172411451_thumb.jpg

redrus

Yes, very beautiful indeed...

but:

"As the state of Terengganu follows Islamic customs, the consumption of alcohol and wearing of immodest clothing are discouraged. In order not to offend local inhabitants, tourists are advised to consume alcohol discreetly and to wear one-piece bathing costumes. No penalties are imposed on tourists for 'breaches' of the local customs, however."

The latter is (just a bit) encouraging though...is it? :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perhentian_Islands#Tourism

LaoPo

Don't believe all you read in there mate, we spoke at length with the locals about things like this and the comparison's with LOS and, were told many if not most of the islanders are more p'd off with load mouths and aggressive (sorry I don't mean to generalise, how can I, I'm English) Americans.

The consensus was that, because of the atmosphere the place projects, the majority of people comply with customs happily.

I love a drink but, was happy just having a few quiet ones in Malaysia, conforming to the keep booze quiet mentality, after a few weeks of it I felt really healthy and looked a load healthier.

Then we travelled to LOS again..... :D :D

redrus

I love a drink but, was happy just having a few quiet ones in Malaysia, conforming to the keep booze quiet mentality, after a few weeks of it I felt really healthy and looked a load healthier.

Then we travelled to LOS again.....

Sounds like a good plan :o:D :D

ice = hard water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

same same in Indonesia...

As an aside, here are a few details on the situation I mentioned earlier:
Here's a section of the Langkawi incident:

"On Oct 12, Barnhart, 62, and his wife Carole, 61, were in their rented condominium in Kuah when enforcement officers continuously knocked on their door at 2am, accusing them of committing khalwat (close proximity).

He said the officers demanded to see his marriage certificate, although he had told them that they were Christians and should not be subjected to Islamic law......" (for full article -pls refer to MM2H section).

My questions:

1. Does Khalwat have jurisdiction over foreigners living here

2. If a foreigner who is a Muslim and his/her spouse is a Non-Muslim Malaysian, would the Foreign Muslim spouse be targeted by the Religious Police as having committed Khalwat because spouse is not a Muslim

(I asked this because I have a couple friend from the UK, the husband is thinking of applying for MM2H - the wife is still Malaysian, but the husband is a foreigner who is a "non-practising Muslim. I'm just worried for them incase they come here and get into such awful troubles).

So, if your taste in ladies is for darker skin then definitely stay in Thailand or you could be charged, beaten or goodness knows what else.

As for Lao Po . . . agreed, Thailand is easily one of the most difficult places to do business . . . at least in Malaysia you know up front who to bribe, and he will be a Malay.

Another point to this - you wish to have a company that could possibly deal with the government in any way? You must have a Malay GM and pay him accordingly. There are scores of Malays who do nothing but lend their name to companies for their letterhead . . . and you have to pay them well . . .

Malaysia better than Thailand? :D

yes, where there is a discussion about malaysia, in any forum, from anywhere in the world, you would be assured that a singaporean would come up with some "kee kwai" on how disgusting malaysia is! :o

perhaps the op should have suggested singapore as an alternative to LOS. that would have made some people happy ! :D

yes, where there is a discussion about malaysia, in any forum, from anywhere in the world, you would be assured that a singaporean would come up with some "kee kwai" on how disgusting malaysia is!

. . . and be assured that some posters are presumptuous in believing that everyone living and working in Singapore is a Singaporean . . . :o

I guess I'll do it again: I am NOT Singaporean!!! I am an expat in Singapore. I have been here for about 5+ years! :D (Oh, and my wife is Malaysian . . . so, how does your presumption sit now?)

Phew . . . get it?!

Oh, before I forget - - do you actually have anything to contribute to the topic or do you prefer to simply make rather pathetic comments?

Peace to you and Boleh Malaysia, if that makes you feel better.

Casanundra, perhaps you'd like to read the sentence again . . it contains the word 'law'. There is no such law in Thailand that discriminates based on race and religion of their own citizens.

You are quite correct in your assessment in that there is no specific 'law' that discriminates on religion and race of its own citizens here in Thailand, indeed Thailand has even ratified itself to the UN treaty for Human rights as well, but funnily enough that doesn't seem to have stopped Thailand committing breaches of those basic fundamental human rights though.

This is Thailand and what is done under the banner of the law and what is done in the name of the law and how that law is being interpreted is a completely different thing. That's the subtle point I was trying to get across with my rather glib remark.

Thailand is governed under civil law and is not subject to common law. As such they are free to interpret it as they see fit and in the absence of any precedent or case law to fall back on to guide them, then it simply means that a Thai judge or practitioner of law here is likely to form his or her own opinion based on their own interpretation of the 'facts' presented to them at that time and let's not forget that this is of course after it has gone through several layers of corrupt filtering before it even gets to that stage.

If we are going to talk about the letter of the law and Thailand in the same context then we need to at least acknowledge that the law in Thailand is a faceless and very often toothless leopard that changes its spots on a daily basis. Oh and don't forget that the 1997 constitution law was recently abolished here and is currently being redrafted with shall we say a rather biased slant to it as well. So yeah, there is no law that discriminates like Malaysia does but then again there is no top level law in Thailand now either.

At the end of the day, Thailand need to show me that it doesn't display clear racial bias here amongst its citizens as well as discriminating people based on their nationality / skin colour first and then have that actually backed up with a law that actually protects. When that happens, then and only then will I be happy to say that yes, the word 'law' has a meaning here in Thailand. Thankfully I won't be holding my breath in anticipation on that one ever happening because I am not sure I would actually survive it.

back to the original OP and putting life in Malaysia / Thailand aside for a moment, there is no argument to be had that doesn't say that Thailand still needs to sit up and look at around at what other countries are doing to open up the playing field to foreign investment and at the moment Thailand is increasingly pushing itself down a rather insular road.

Maybe you would care to explain why Malaysia has race on the ID card? That in itself shows the legal racism that you are choosing to ignore.

Does Thailand do that? What other country, except the old apartheid South Africa does that?

TH

Of course it exists, I doubt anyone would dispute that. But - and here is the but - whatever you have going against you in Thailand, you have it going against you multiple times in Malaysia.

Imagine a country where not only foreigners are discriminated against, but even close to 40% of their own population are legally second-tier citizens.

As for getting PR or even citizenship . . . :o

The only advantage I see with Malaysia is that the majority of people speak English. . . . and that's it.

I'm interested to understand your pov on how the 40% are legally second-class. From what I know, the Malay Chinese for example, are generally wealthier, have better education [overseas - as they can afford it], gets further in the corporate world [except state companies, which are hardly world class], are active in politics [quite a number of ministers in the government] etc.etc

I love the old houses in Penang. Always thought it would be great to renovate one. Lots of yum food, ok shopping, multi-lingual/cultural people, but no relaxed nightlife, even just to go for a drink. And dogs are not a big hit there. Killer kitty guards?

You would like Melaka (Malacca) then, the old houses that is.

Having worked and lived in KL I can suggest the following nightlife areas.

Jalan Ramlee, Jalan Sultan Ismail, Jalan Bukit Bintang, Bangsar Baru, Sri Hartamas.

Plenty of fun to be had in KL, just not as 'in your face' as Thailand. Also much safer !

(The death penalty is possible for just having a handgun) :o

Naka.

It's a bit surprising to me that people would state safety as a contributing factor to staying in Malaysia... If compared to Thailand then I would understand but if one is comparing to other countries in SE Asia then I would think that Singapore wins hands-down. However the nightlife in Singapore is nothing compred to Malaysia or Thailand.

By the way, I think Sri Hartamas or Damansara is a lot better for nightlife in KL. Bangsar is getting from bad to worse...

Of course it exists, I doubt anyone would dispute that. But - and here is the but - whatever you have going against you in Thailand, you have it going against you multiple times in Malaysia.

Imagine a country where not only foreigners are discriminated against, but even close to 40% of their own population are legally second-tier citizens.

The only advantage I see with Malaysia is that the majority of people speak English. . . . and that's it.

I'm interested to understand your pov on how the 40% are legally second-class. From what I know, the Malay Chinese for example, are generally wealthier, have better education [overseas - as they can afford it], gets further in the corporate world [except state companies, which are hardly world class], are active in politics [quite a number of ministers in the government] etc.etc

There is a quota for university entrance that favours Malays so other races are denied entry & have to go overseas. Many of these families struggle with this expense. They are just small business people.

i remember one of my friend in malaysia told me that the school qouta was 70% for malays, 20% for chinese, and 10% for indians.

anyway, i'm quite irritated long time ago when i entered one chatroom in malaysia that the first question they were asking me was what my race was... race? no one has ever asked this from me before.

I'm really not sure if I should post this (as I really don't wanna be suggestive on the subject)...but I came across this on a Malaysia forum at Asiafinest.com. Guess there's probably some truth in it:

Malaysia's race divide threatens economy, society: watchdog

Posted: 29 January 2007 1754 hrs

KUALA LUMPUR : Growing racial divides are undermining Malaysia and the government must act or face severe social and financial consequences, an anti-corruption watchdog warned Monday.

Transparency International Malaysia president, Ramon Navaratnam, said racial polarisation coupled with weak institutions, rising corruption and poor governance were deterring investors and weakening competitiveness.

"We are beginning to see more and more signs of what could be indications of a failing state," he said at a conference on the 2007 outlook for Malaysia.

"If we don't address these issues now, it's like gangrene. It gathers in strength and intensity and causes major problems."

Navaratnam, an influential former senior treasury official, said the country was going through a "bad patch" with deteriorating race relations between its majority ethnic Malays and minority Chinese and Indians.

"This will affect confidence, this will affect investment and affect growth and then, worse still, affect our ability to distribute (wealth)," he told reporters later.

"Migration is rising, people are leaving. I understand the young people ... are reluctant to come back."

Navaratnam said it was critical for the government to review its economic policies, especially those which favour the Muslim Malays, who lag economically behind the Chinese.

"Private investment has been declining. If we don't recognise these issues and do something about it, we'll be like ostriches putting our head in the sand."

While the policies are aimed at boosting the wealth of Malays, corruption and poor implementation have resulted in an elite getting wealthy, while marginalising poorer Malaysians, he said.

Meanwhile, poverty is on the rise, he added, warning it could contribute to economic instability.

"The income equity gap has widened in the last five years ... If the income disparity widens it can still cause a lot of dissatisfaction," he said in his opening address to the conference.

He also criticised denials from officials and commentators of racial divides, warning that "we might believe our own propaganda" and fail to make changes. - AFP /dt

Oh, another thing . . . you think Thailand is corrupt? Just wait until you experience Malaysia . . .

Crime? Welcome to Malaysia where it is endemic . . etc . . .

But yes, Bahasa Malayu is easier to learn, much easier. Almost no grammar, kind of a like a baby language:

Orang - person

Orang orang - people

barang - thing

barang barang - things

This kind of stuff, quite cute.

The politicians are overtly corrupt and show their wealth and . . . . as so many members here seem to have a problem with Chinese . . . there are millions of them in Malaysia. Have fun.

hey sling sling,

i have been to malaysia many times and never felt threatened or had a problem.

do you think the crime rate is more or less than los.? maybe someone who has good knowledge of both can answer that.

i always thought that the law in malaysia was very strong and trouble concerning farang was small. ?

the crime thing doesn't seem to worry me as we have some shocking crime here in perth, and a lot of it is aimed at backpackers and tourists ( easy targets)

dont go into the city at night time. :D:o

anyway anybody give me a good run down on the crime in malaysia.?

thanks.

I'm really not sure if I should post this (as I really don't wanna be suggestive on the subject)...but I came across this on a Malaysia forum at Asiafinest.com. Guess there's probably some truth in it:

Malaysia's race divide threatens economy, society: watchdog

Posted: 29 January 2007 1754 hrs

This seems like a problem that has plagued Malaysia for decades, and the racial tensions certainly does not seem new - but somehow they've managed to progress far better than Thailand, which is supposedly

a united, one-proud-race country.

Wonder how they do it? Forced themselves to work together and put away their differences?

Or is it stabler politics brought about by keeping the majority happy and contented?

I've read about what happened there in 1969. But despite all the talk about racial tensions in Malaysia, I really don't think that's going to happen again - there's simply too much at stake.

This seems like a problem that has plagued Malaysia for decades, and the racial tensions certainly does not seem new - but somehow they've managed to progress far better than Thailand, which is supposedly

a united, one-proud-race country.

Wonder how they do it? Forced themselves to work together and put away their differences?

Not mainly because of their abundant oil reserves?

terry57, I came up with this little piece after a quick Google on malaysia crime stats. I include the link but the full article is more a discussion by an NGO on crime and punishment in Malaysia. It has to be stressed that these figures, like all crime stats, are based on reported crime. Don't know where Thailand lies but a quick Google on the quoted source should prove valuable if you want more info.

Statistics from the Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems, covering the period 1998 - 2000 (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention) showed that Malaysia performed rather well in terms of total crimes per capita (ranked 50th with total crimes of 7.23, per 1000 people, with 1st being the worse). The statistics showed that Malaysia’s crime situation per capita is better than New Zealand (108.12 per 1000 people), United Kingdom (86.04 per 1000 people), Canada (76.89 per 1000 people) and Hong Kong (10.89 per 1000 people). However it was cautioned that crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence. A total of 92 countries were surveyed in the report.

http://www.malaysia-today.net/english/Suaram_230804a.htm

just to share on one aspect of crime rate

snatch theft in malaysia is very common, often to the extent that the victim is physically hurt quite badly.

have also heard of incidents where robbers follow people making withdrawals from bank and forcing them to handover money at machete point, in broad day light, in the middle of KL.

those that wanna debate the affirmative action policy for the bumiputeras...lots I can share in that area...perhaps too long to go into here, but for starters see my opinion below:

The focus of the debate centres around whether or not the National Economic Policy (NEP), a social contract entered into 30 years ago with the aim of improving the Malays’ share in corporate ownership, should be extended.

Malaysia prides itself on being a multi-racial society, one with sound and stable political conditions. Yet at the same time, this political stability comes at a price. NEP was introduced in 1970 after the infamous 1969 racial riots that saw the Malays anger and frustrations directed at the wealthier Chinese race. The NEP became the social ‘contract’ that aimed to improve the economic situation of the Malays over the next 30 year period, with the specific aim being to raise the Malays equity to 30 per cent of the nation’s corporate assets.

UMNO Youths are demanding that the NEP be extended until the Malays achieve the 30 per cent equity envisaged. However, this has an implication that with growing Malay population (with the Malays having the fastest birth rates amongst the races), this threshold of 30 per cent equity may always remain the next milestone to be achieved.

Under the NEP Malays are given priority for obtaining certain business licenses, securing government employment and contracts, rights to property and others. These affirmative actions intended as a tool to bring about social reform, comes at a cost of suppressing the other section of society from accessing and fully utilising its resources to contribute to Malaysia’s economy.

The NEP has benefited a small group of Malays rather than the general Malay population, a majority of who remain poor despite the various subsidies, concessions and quotas extended to them under NEP.

Does this not suggest that after 30 years of implementation with little effect, the various strategies under the NEP may not be the right way to make a difference? Is it then not time to re-evaluate and rethink the strategies rather than persisting on with something that has proven to be unsuccessful?

The unfair opportunities created for the Malays puts a block on other sections of society to realise its full potential, thus limiting Malaysia’s productivity. This in turn has a negative effect on Malaysia’s competitiveness in the global market in the long run.

In order to compete globally with new emerging markets with low labour cost and high productivity, efficiency becomes crucial. Revival or extension of the NEP seems more likely to be an obstacle to developing this efficiency and dampening the economic advantage of Malaysia. For instance, the Economic Freedom Index for the years 2002 and 2003 shows that Malaysia has maintained a score of 6.5 (out of ten), indicating that the comparative level of economic freedom has largely remained stable. However, Malaysia’s ranking among the 127 countries covered by the index has dropped from 57th to 59th. This indicates that maintaining the status quo will only result in other countries bypassing Malaysia.

Affirmative actions along racial lines will only widen the gap amongst Malaysians and stop integration and unity, the very concept of Bangsa and Anak Malaysia that the government is aiming to achieve for Malaysia. Is it then not time to all work together as Malaysians to compete globally and increase opportunities for all?

(the info is a bit old, since this was way back in 2005)

lots of examples Ive seen first hand in terms of discrimination against the non-malay races too. and just because the claim is that chinese are wealthy does that justify discrimination? and even to those that would argue citing whatever reasons, then the question is what about the indians and the aboriginese?

no corruption? hmmm ..that in itself is another story :o

Well, the list is a long one ans starts with the one you mentioned.

I believe the quota is around 70/20/10 while the population make-up is 50/40/10 . . . roughly.

The vast majority of Chinese are NOT wealthy and struggle to get the funds together to send their kids OS to study as they have very little chance to do so in MY.

Housing loans - Malays get a lower interest rate . . . not from Islamic Banking

Bumiputera Land - reserved only for Malays

Government jobs - almost no high-ranking non-Malays

Government affiliated companies - run by Malays, or at least have titular heads that are Malays

Quotas of race employment

etc .................. the list goes on and on.

Terry, I think the crime rate in MY is probably lower than that of Thailand, but Singapore has had travel advisories for a very long time as Singaporean registered cars are routinely held-up even as soon as they pass the causeway . . . the old bump and rob thing.

I've never had problems there, neither from the people or government agencies (except for cops wanting baksheesh), but there aren't really that many expats to hassle . . . having said that, there are many accounts of foreigners being assaulted etc . . . and nothing coming out of it.

Pund for pound comparison, I'd take Thailand.

I have properties in JOhore Bahru( House and a Condo) (Malaysia) Just across the causeway from Singapore.

Home Rentals in Malaysia is 70% Cheaper than Thailand

Food is better served and cheap in Thailand

Security : MAlaysia is better

malaysian customs officers are much more polite.

This is true

In terms of setting up Business companies. I say Thailand is much more better than Malaysia.

I must disagree with the statement regarding house prices being 40% cheaper in Malaysia.

I toyed with MM2h and looked arround for houses....came to Thailand and now have a new,detached 2 bed house at 10,000 Baht a month and a renewable 3 year agreement....no way would I get this in Malaysia,apart,I suppose from going into the Country.....Oh ...its Chaing Mai for me......the evenings are cooler as well,which at my age is so welcome.

Quota consistent with the racial make-up of the country, I reckon?

To a certain extent... yes.

In many ways, it was a way to give opportunity to as many group of different people as can be. Not exactly an appealing thing but it helps to bridge the left out...